R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 2016 Clubman

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2016, 08:31 PM
Milkman
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by perryinva
It would require a different bulb fixture and connector that handled dual filament bulbs with one filament the brake and the other signal. And I'm hesitant to install the flasher module on the center third brake light because a failure of the module would cause no visible brake light and could void a warranty fix or even an insurance claim.
I agree on the fix and understand your hesitation on the rear flasher. Our best bet is to contact both MINI USA and NHTSA.gov individually and log a complaint. Neither is reading this forum so unless enough of us speak up they wont make a change.

Old 06-07-2016, 07:28 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by fenderod
Regarding the bumper-mounted brake lights, which I agree should have been implemented as redundant/conditional lights like an Audi Q5, cursory searching suggests the lower height regulation is 15 inches, and it looks like our Clubmans comply with that.
No one is claiming it's not legal just odd and possibly unsafe. I've seen lights like this on other cars but for some reason it just looks more odd on this car.

Old 06-07-2016, 07:30 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by ClassicFrog
I am supposed to pick up my clubman this week but this break light thing has me considering walking away from the deal. This seems completely unacceptable to me.
I wouldn't go as far as to walk away from the deal, the new Clubman is a beautiful Mini, it'll be my next after my Countryman. Either they'll fix it, someone will come out with a mod, or people will just get used to seeing the lights like that.

Last edited by Benibiker; 06-07-2016 at 07:35 PM.
Old 06-07-2016, 07:56 PM
perryinva
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
On the Q5 (and I was following one today) the hatch lights are smaller looking than on the clubman, but look perfectly natural as brake lights. They are combo brake/signal lights where the same bulbs flash to signal as brake not different sections. I Thought that wasn't legal anymore, but it must still be. In that case, it should be an easy mod to have the signal lights ligjt when the brake is applied. I wouldnt care if all 5 lit up when the brakes came on! Fine with me!

Old 06-08-2016, 08:25 AM
JohnnyQuest
2nd Gear
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
While I agree that the brake light arrangement is different, it's certainly not a "goof" that we should expect to be "fixed." I don't see it being an issue and it obviously complies with regulations. Also, one detail that I never liked that is standard on a lot of cars is that the brake lights are simply a brightening of the tail lights. Unless you see the actual change in brightness, you can't really tell if the brake lights are on (unless you look at the center light). I have always preferred that the tail lights and brake lights be separate. They certainly are in the F54, but perhaps just a bit too far.

It doesn't bother me, and can be considered another idiosyncrasy of the many Mini idiosyncrasies that make Mini Mini.

Last edited by JohnnyQuest; 06-08-2016 at 09:40 AM.
Old 06-08-2016, 08:28 AM
Quentin
2nd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Name:  979E787B-3A11-41D2-930F-AFF625CC8AFC_zpsk6q1bw5q.jpg
Views: 402
Size:  317.5 KB

Name:  012A1DCA-15DA-42BD-A6C0-B04809A4F5FB_zpsjv8ycuhc.jpg
Views: 396
Size:  216.4 KB

Name:  A394A132-ED52-4296-ACD4-B9D1D4D78AED_zps8kjxpni3.jpg
Views: 366
Size:  291.6 KB

Name:  F623FB11-DB1A-45EF-A585-3F0D05B95EC7_zpsfqhpelnv.jpg
Views: 418
Size:  239.8 KB

Power bumps.
Name:  C4FCCD51-EDFE-44F8-BBAF-E7111F884028_zps6pcmzizb.jpg
Views: 412
Size:  225.7 KB

Name:  AB9FA0B5-D5AE-41DC-BDCE-18B4586E16E6_zps5dz159zf.jpg
Views: 419
Size:  262.5 KB

Old 06-08-2016, 09:01 AM
perryinva
3rd Gear
We were talking about the F54. I've not compared the lohts if the F56 to the F54. Are the signal lights on the F54 also the tail lights?

Old 06-08-2016, 09:23 AM
Milkman
2nd Gear
I want to buy Quentin's 2005 so bad so we have matching rides. Can't get my wife to let me pull the trigger tho

We'll have to agree to disagree on the rear lights. Obviously it wasn't a goof because they were designed that way but this is more than an idiosyncrasy to me. Safety of my family is #1, if I had actually seen this during the test drive it definately would have been discussed. Honestly if my car gets lemoned lawed here in a couple weeks we will look at the F56 again. Each of us has our own priorities and while MINI's are cool there are other fun cars out there that have actual visible brake lights my wife can drive.

Old 06-08-2016, 09:51 AM
JohnnyQuest
2nd Gear
We were talking about the F54. I've not compared the lohts if the F56 to the F54. Are the signal lights on the F54 also the tail lights?
Sorry, I ment F54. (Corrected above). Just returned from a trip and still jet lagged...

On the F54, it seems that the big lights on the doors are the tail lights (other functions too), and the lower lights on the rear bumper are brake lights, additional tail lights, and adjacent turn signals.

According to the manual, the lower lights are also redundant tail lights and turn signals if the doors are open (sees page 208).

Also (page 108), the lower turn signals work as additional brake lights under "hard stops."

http://www.miniusa.com/content/dam/m...ith-screen.pdf

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Lamps.pdf (739.2 KB, 104 views)

Last edited by JohnnyQuest; 06-08-2016 at 09:57 AM.
Old 06-08-2016, 10:04 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 2,100 Likes on 1,873 Posts
Yea, those lights had to be there due to the fact they have to be fixed and cannot swing with the doors. Which then you would have no lights when door were open. I got this from MINIUSA when I asked them at the Clubman product launch

Pulsating upper light should work.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 06-09-2016, 01:30 PM
trikerdude
1st Gear
I decided to go with the Pulsar for the upper brake light -- it just arrived. Any info on how to get into the light to do the install?

Old 06-09-2016, 01:43 PM
Milkman
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by trikerdude
I decided to go with the Pulsar for the upper brake light -- it just arrived. Any info on how to get into the light to do the install?
I'm going to pick up some plastic trim tools. It appears the plastic cover underneath can be pried open as far as I can tell. Our car is due back next week so looking forward to seeing how to do it. Your the pioneer here!

Old 06-10-2016, 04:39 AM
JohnnyQuest
2nd Gear
I envisioned a continually flashing thing. If you're talking about something like this that flashes only 4 times, I guess it couldn't hurt.

http://www.pulseprotects.com/introducing-pulse/

Last edited by JohnnyQuest; 06-10-2016 at 04:46 AM.
Old 06-10-2016, 05:54 AM
Milkman
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by JohnnyQuest
I envisioned a continually flashing thing. If you're talking about something like this that flashes only 4 times, I guess it couldn't hurt.

http://www.pulseprotects.com/introducing-pulse/
You can't do a continual flasher, especially in red as it's against the law. Flashing red is reserved for emergency vehicles or police which is why the 4 pulse is even questionably legal in some states.

Last edited by Milkman; 06-10-2016 at 06:41 AM.
Old 06-10-2016, 06:33 AM
trikerdude
1st Gear
Here's the one I got:

Old 06-10-2016, 06:34 AM
trikerdude
1st Gear
Try that again:

Old 06-14-2016, 06:06 PM
Milkman
2nd Gear
Someone in our local Mini Club was rear ended in traffic today with their new Clubman

Old 06-15-2016, 04:07 AM
perryinva
3rd Gear
So if the owner was chilling at a red light, the flashing would have already stopped. Lucky it looks like only the bumper. Dang. That still sucks big time.

So Milkman, you're killing me here! What was the diagnosis on your car?

Old 06-15-2016, 04:28 AM
Milkman
2nd Gear
So if the owner was chilling at a red light, the flashing would have already stopped. Lucky it looks like only the bumper. Dang. That still sucks big time.
Yep, first thing I thought too. She's going to discuss brake lights with the dealer when they assess the damage repair cost. She had no idea the large lights weren't brake lights either.

So Milkman, you're killing me here! What was the diagnosis on your car?
Today is supposed to be the day we get it back. Waiting for the call this morning to drive up and inspect it. Radiator finally arrived last Friday and was installed but the bumper was scuffed by the tech working on the car during reassembly. To their credit they didn't wait until I got up there to notice it and sent it straight to a bodyshop to be buffed out. It was still there yesterday afternoon when I spoke with my salesman. He said they were going over the car with a magnifying glass to make sure it's perfect and I told him I'm bringing mine with me

Again the dealer has been good about the whole ordeal so far and we are going to sit down when I get there to talk about what can be done for the inconvenience we've had on our brand new vehicle. Today is now 16 days into the lemon law of 30 days.

Old 06-15-2016, 06:12 AM
Fantastic Choice
2nd Gear
I think this is a little much in terms of the brake lights. In the last six months, two of my acquaintances, driving non MINI cars, were rear ended while at a full stop. In both cases, its was distracted drivers. The car was stopped. If the driver (who crashed into the MINI) had been paying attention, it wouldn't have happened.

In April, my husband was driving our brand new MINI down a city street in Minneapolis. He was in the left lane in his direction. Some idiot person decided she wanted to take a left turn from the right lane and smashed into him. $7200 worth of damage and the parts were in Germany. They got the parts in a week; took 3 weeks to get it all fixed. It was heartbreaking. We were to have gone on a 5 day trip with it the day after the crash. The woman first apologized. Then she said she didn't know whose fault it was. Then her neck hurt. Luckily the police saw exactly what happened, and my husband had great photos of the actual position of the cars when they stopped. Point being there are idiot drivers out there, and we have to be more than careful.

I don't get what this accident had to do with the break lights.

Old 06-15-2016, 06:29 AM
Milkman
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Fantastic Choice
I think this is a little much in terms of the brake lights. In the last six months, two of my acquaintances, driving non MINI cars, were rear ended while at a full stop. In both cases, its was distracted drivers. The car was stopped. If the driver (who crashed into the MINI) had been paying attention, it wouldn't have happened.

In April, my husband was driving our brand new MINI down a city street in Minneapolis. He was in the left lane in his direction. Some idiot person decided she wanted to take a left turn from the right lane and smashed into him. $7200 worth of damage and the parts were in Germany. They got the parts in a week; took 3 weeks to get it all fixed. It was heartbreaking. We were to have gone on a 5 day trip with it the day after the crash. The woman first apologized. Then she said she didn't know whose fault it was. Then her neck hurt. Luckily the police saw exactly what happened, and my husband had great photos of the actual position of the cars when they stopped. Point being there are idiot drivers out there, and we have to be more than careful.

I don't get what this accident had to do with the break lights.
Totally understand your position, rear end collisions and accidents happen. Just expressing my opinion and putting out data. Come follow me in my Clubman in traffic and see what you think of my lights.

Just got to the gym, woman following me in came up to me and told me my brake lights were out

Old 06-15-2016, 06:33 AM
Fantastic Choice
2nd Gear
I have followed my husband in our Clubman. I must say, even though I get the issue, I still see the lights. Don't misunderstand me; we did buy the flashing 3rd light (haven't figured out yet how to put it in!!!!), but that's not why this accident happened. The car was stopped.

Old 06-16-2016, 08:29 AM
JohnnyQuest
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Fantastic Choice
I have followed my husband in our Clubman. I must say, even though I get the issue, I still see the lights. Don't misunderstand me; we did buy the flashing 3rd light (haven't figured out yet how to put it in!!!!), but that's not why this accident happened. The car was stopped.
I agree. I picked up my 17 All4 Saturday. As my wife drove, I was behind her in the Outback. The brake lights are clearly visible unless I was within literally a couple of feet off the Clubman's rear bumper. And even then, the center light is obviously visible. I think this is a 100% non-issue.

Plus, say you suddenly come upon a broken-down vehicle in front of you (no lights at all). Do you really think you'd just run into it? At night, yes, but in the daylight? You'd instinctively, nail your brakes. You'r brain, would say, "No brake lights, I don't need to stop." Regardless, it's a non issue, because the Clubman lights are clearly visible (albeit is a non-conventional way).

Old 06-16-2016, 09:17 AM
Milkman
2nd Gear
Enjoy your new Clubman's! Update on ours, still no car. Dealership repaired the car but damage was done to the front end during the repair apparently. They said it was a scuff but it's now spent 4 days at the bodyshop trying to be fixed. It was to be returned at 4:30pm to the dealership last night but they called and said the fix was not correct and the bodyshop has to try again. Now we are on to Friday before it may be done.

My patience is wearing very thin. We have been friendly and accommodating but we will be 20 days not having our brand new vehicle which now has a paint repair. If it's not done Friday we may request a refund and just go buy an older MINI convertible and go get a dependable Japanese vehicle as her main ride (with actual brake lights, sorry couldn't resist )

Old 06-16-2016, 10:17 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 571 Likes on 487 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnnyQuest
I agree. I picked up my 17 All4 Saturday. As my wife drove, I was behind her in the Outback. The brake lights are clearly visible unless I was within literally a couple of feet off the Clubman's rear bumper. And even then, the center light is obviously visible. I think this is a 100% non-issue.

Plus, say you suddenly come upon a broken-down vehicle in front of you (no lights at all). Do you really think you'd just run into it? At night, yes, but in the daylight? You'd instinctively, nail your brakes. You'r brain, would say, "No brake lights, I don't need to stop." Regardless, it's a non issue, because the Clubman lights are clearly visible (albeit is a non-conventional way).
You are looking at the issue with a bias. Someone who has never been behind a Clubman is not thinking about the odd location of the lights, they are drawn into thinking about those large lights higher up on the door and when the car comes to a panic stop they might miss or delay in reaction. If you are ok getting slammed, that's obviously your choice. I pass for now.

Quick Reply: R55 2016 Clubman