R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 2016 Clubman

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2015, 11:29 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 2,100 Likes on 1,873 Posts
Looked really good in person. Rear lights are different with the brake light function. No top antenna alarm blinker for the US. But we can fix that

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 12-01-2015, 11:35 AM
Jaque_Mate
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
Looked really good in person. Rear lights are different with the brake light function. No top antenna alarm blinker for the US. But we can fix that
Not sure how much you want to get into that. BMW is starting to do it, but MINI will follow suit, do key reads remotely. The antenna is located in that. Most of the other stuff is located behind the dash.

Old 12-01-2015, 12:20 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Someone will mod it. Most likely its prewired to some extent. Does not look like it has any key control function. And they are using the same part with and without options. Its a shark fin that blinks. All the key functions behind the dash, in the review and the CAS is in the side and rear doors.

https://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/65209341455/

Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 12-03-2015, 02:20 PM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
My dealer's event was last night and I got to play around with it and ask questions. REALLY nice car! You can tell a lot of work and planning went into this. It looked smaller than I was expecting, but there is so much room for rear passengers and cargo.

A few takeaways:
- I asked about the blinky antenna and the MINI rep told me that due to US laws stating that only emergency vehicles can have flashing lights on the roof, we get the plain fin antenna. The radio antennas move to the glass.

- The armrest (which is now standard) has TWO compartments. The normal smaller compartment, like the F56 does then there is a much deep compartment under that. It's the little things that make me happy...

- Easily more room in the back than my Countryman had.

- Rear passengers get HVAC vents, though there are not separate temperature zones. They can adjust airflow and direction

- The glowing door trim with MINI Yours interiors is sweeeeeeet

- There are 10 cupholders if you spec the 40:20:40 seats (which everybody should) Most of them can easily accomodate 20 oz bottles and even wine bottles

- While they aren't letting dealers or customers drive them yet, the MINI rep who was present drove the car up from CA and said it drives really smooth, but not disconnected, it handles very well (wider tires, wider stance), and still has plenty of "pep"

- ALL4 is coming next spring and sounds like a evolution of the current ALL4 system in the Countryman now. No mention of a rumored hybrid drivetrain.

Old 12-03-2015, 02:29 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Yes , it will be great in the ALL4. The interior was very nice. Blinky thing posted above.

Old 12-05-2015, 05:45 PM
Pure Red
4th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by siriuszero
My dealer's event was last night and I got to play around with it and ask questions. REALLY nice car! You can tell a lot of work and planning went into this. It looked smaller than I was expecting, but there is so much room for rear passengers and cargo.

A few takeaways:
- I asked about the blinky antenna and the MINI rep told me that due to US laws stating that only emergency vehicles can have flashing lights on the roof, we get the plain fin antenna. The radio antennas move to the glass.

- The armrest (which is now standard) has TWO compartments. The normal smaller compartment, like the F56 does then there is a much deep compartment under that. It's the little things that make me happy...

- Easily more room in the back than my Countryman had.

- Rear passengers get HVAC vents, though there are not separate temperature zones. They can adjust airflow and direction

- The glowing door trim with MINI Yours interiors is sweeeeeeet

- There are 10 cupholders if you spec the 40:20:40 seats (which everybody should) Most of them can easily accomodate 20 oz bottles and even wine bottles

- While they aren't letting dealers or customers drive them yet, the MINI rep who was present drove the car up from CA and said it drives really smooth, but not disconnected, it handles very well (wider tires, wider stance), and still has plenty of "pep"

- ALL4 is coming next spring and sounds like a evolution of the current ALL4 system in the Countryman now. No mention of a rumored hybrid drivetrain.
. One of us has to take the cupholders to 11, cause you know, it's one more than 10....

Old 12-07-2015, 10:26 AM
tallgntlmn
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had been dead set AGAINST this car since the announcement. I had said "no way I want a 4 door MINI". I said "it's ugly." I saw it last week in person and that reduced those thoughts to "perhaps it could work". Of course, this was in Raleigh. The guy was going to Charlotte, then Atlanta, then Knoxville. I thought he would take the obvious route from Atlanta to Knoxville and answer my burning question. You know, US129 out of Dahlonega to Knoxville over the stretch near Robbinsville? Nope. He was going interstate. :(

All I really want to know is "how does it handle a spirited run or three on the Dragon?" I just want to know does it handle twisties like my R55 does? Can I push the family version of a MINI like I do the old Clubman? Perhaps someone will take one out there and report back. Perhaps some people will have a few in May that we can ask.

Old 12-07-2015, 10:28 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Should have taken it on the us129

Old 12-07-2015, 10:50 AM
tallgntlmn
1st Gear
Some further thoughts: I will say that in pictures I thought it was a MINI version of a Ford Flex. I can only describe it as wider and longer than any MINI and shorter, height-wise than I thought it would be. It looks like it will fill in the market they are trying to capture. I fit in it pretty well (6'9") without the door pillars totally killing my peripheral vision. I actually got in the back seat with a normal size person in the front and fit nicely.

The armrest: man I wish I could get that one in my R55. The armrest in the R55 is one of those hate relationships in the MINI.

The hood scoop is completely non functional and doesn't even look like it could be made so (to the untrained eye).

I'm not crazy about no dipstick but that seems to be the times.

He confirmed that the pops and burbles are still present in sport mode.

One cool thing or perhaps info overload was on the tach, it showed what gear you were in. Not like you wouldn't know but it would save those times at a stop sign or a light when you're in 3rd and thought you were in 1st.

The one I saw had the HK stereo. I have not heard it in a F series MINI, but the HK sound in the new Clubman easily blows away the one in my R55.

No answer on the rear sway bar diameter.

I will probably take this model out on a test drive once it hits the lot. My dealer says about 2 weeks out until the first few hit the ground.

Old 12-07-2015, 10:53 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Yes, the sound system in HK on F56 , F55, and F54 is a big leap forward from HK Gen 2

Old 12-07-2015, 10:54 AM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Sounds like MINI is hosting press events for the Clubman this week so we may see some auto journalists post some impressions and first driving tests. So far the only people that seem to have driven the Clubman are MINI corporate employees and product trainers. They aren't even letting dealer employees drive it.

Old 12-07-2015, 11:05 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Yep, because they have a limited number of pre-production cars , some are euro models.

Old 12-07-2015, 11:38 AM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
Yep, because they have a limited number of pre-production cars , some are euro models.
The one that came by to our dealer had one euro tail light (amber turn signal) and one normal tail light lol

Old 12-07-2015, 11:40 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Yea, funny. Franken MINI . One up here had the red in both. No blinking signal

Old 12-09-2015, 08:02 AM
Jaque_Mate
4th Gear
Well, I took home our Cooper Automatic F54 we got in a couple days ago. Interesting to say the least. awesome ride quality. The torque from the base engine seems to really come into play with the larger model. This one has the new 205/55/R16 tires on it, so it was a different feel. I think I'd personally go with the 17's even on a base. Overall, wonderful machine. If I had three thumbs, I'd put them all up.

Old 12-09-2015, 08:04 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Thanks for the review, think you are the first.

Old 12-09-2015, 09:38 AM
Jaque_Mate
4th Gear
For those who haven't played around with one yet, even just sitting in one, the steering is a shade lighter than any previous MINI. I put about 50 miles or so on this one. Having driven the Cooper S Automatic when it was at our launch party, I can honestly say if you do test drive a base and think it lacks power, the Cooper S feels much more powerful.

Old 12-12-2015, 07:41 AM
finnsllc
Neutral
Test drive time

As my wife and I did attend the preview of the new clubman at our dealer here in NJ we were impressed by the car. Luckily our dealer now has 5 in stock. 2 S and 3 NON S. We will def be setting up a test drive this week. Although, we will be waiting for the ALL4 before we make a final decision.

Old 12-15-2015, 05:16 PM
hamptup
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I still enjoy the R55 in terms of street go-karting and practicality. Definitely like this newer version in overall interior comfort. Do to it's larger wheelbase and overall size I bet the ride is much more plush over harsh roads.

I've yet to drive a 2016 S (and I want to) but as of right now I'm waiting to see if the 2016/17 JCW Clubman will be impressive or not.

Old 12-16-2015, 10:36 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Think everyone is waiting for the JCW Clubamn All4

Old 12-27-2015, 06:08 PM
Fantastic Choice
2nd Gear
Our new Clubman S got to Baltimore two weeks ago, and it finally got to our dealer on Thursday. We'll be picking it up tomorrow afternoon, if the weather lets us. No snow (in Minnesota till yesterday, and tomorrow we're supposed to get 8-12 inches. Jeez. But tomorrow or Tuesday, it will be ours, and to those who wrote before, we are thrilled to be keeping the 2008 Sidewalk (cabrio) Cooper S and trading the 2013 Cooper S. Hooray. Thanks for the support!

Old 12-27-2015, 06:32 PM
planeguy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by subdude
Am I the only one who mourns the concept of MINI? That thing is immense!

Absolutely zero chance I'd replace my 08 with one.
This is pretty funny to an R53 owner, coming from an 2nd gen clubman owner.

Old 12-30-2015, 05:32 PM
Fantastic Choice
2nd Gear
Better than we even hoped!

Quick update so we can get back in the car.

Its even better than imagined. The Pure Burgundy and Melting Silver combo is so striking. We have the burgundy leather seats and trim and we are in love with it all.

Gotta go drive!

Thanks for all the good wishes. Oh, my 2008 Sidewalk looks great next to it in the garage!

Old 12-31-2015, 07:30 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Originally Posted by Fantastic Choice
Quick update so we can get back in the car.

Its even better than imagined. The Pure Burgundy and Melting Silver combo is so striking. We have the burgundy leather seats and trim and we are in love with it all.

Gotta go drive!

Thanks for all the good wishes. Oh, my 2008 Sidewalk looks great next to it in the garage!
" burgundy leather seats ", yes i really like these, we need pics of the sidewalk and F54 together.

Old 01-02-2016, 10:08 PM
Minime1963
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Did they do away with the blind spot on the barn doors? Can't really tell by the pictures. It looks like the countryman to me.

Quick Reply: R55 2016 Clubman