R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 New 2010 Clubman S owner & question

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2016, 12:22 PM
Climber82
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New 2010 Clubman S owner & question

Hey everyone,

I recently purchased a 2010 Clubman S Rally Edition w/ 47k on it. This is my first Mini and so far very happy with car.

Since owning it I've heard tons of horror stories with the N14 timing chain tensioner issues.

Does anyone know if by the 2010 models they had this problem sorted out? I've heard conflicting reports on this and been searching and haven't found an answer to this. Can anyone shed any light on this for me please.

Thank You!

Old 09-22-2016, 06:13 PM
timfitz63
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My recollection is MINI was still in a state of denial about the timing chain tensioner during the 2010 model year, so that remains a potential pitfall for that model year. In fact, I don't think it can be said MINI made any real attempt to address the issue until the introduction of the N18 engine during the 2011 model year; the 'improved' tensioners that found their way piecemeal into pre-2011 N14 engines were something of a stopgap measure that met with varying degrees of success, probably depending on how diligent MINI dealers were in replacing other related components (e.g., the timing chain, which would stretch; and the timing chain guides, which were/are made of plastic and tended to get broken up by loose timing chains) when someone brought in their car for tensioner-related service/replacement.

Now, all of that being said, the good news for you is that if you're car isn't suffering from the so-called "death rattle" at the moment, you may be OK. Try to get a printout of the service record from your local MINI dealer; depending on the dealer, their attitude about providing you with the information can be hit-or-miss, but it doesn't hurt to ask. From that information it should be easy to determine what, if any, tensioner-related work was done to your car. In any case, the best preventative measure you can take is to keep a sharp eye on the oil level, and a sharp ear to listen for the rattle in case it starts to occur. Oil level is important because the tensioner operates under supplied oil pressure; there's only four quarts of oil in these engines, so if the level gets down even a quart, the tensioner can start to back off the chain and allow it to run slack. Letting it continue is what will lead to damage to/failure of the chain and/or guides, so if you hear the rattle starting immediately check the oil level. If low, top it off; if the oil level is good, don't wait to have the problem diagnosed and corrected. The engine you save may be your own...

Hope this eases your confusion! Good luck!

Last edited by timfitz63; 09-22-2016 at 08:28 PM.
Old 09-22-2016, 06:54 PM
bugeye1031
Received 80 Likes on 75 Posts
I agree with timfitz63. I would add that checking your oil should be a weekly routine....and tip it off if down at all. There is a vacuum pump at the end of the cam that can suffer oil starvation and seize, thus seizing the camshaft. I don't mean to scare you....just add to your knowledge....just care and feeding of the engine. Also, you've probably already heard it or know it, but just in case, change your oil more frequently than the car wants you to. Most of us change it at 5,000 miles.

Also, you might shoot a quick video of your engine idling now so you have a baseline of the "normal" noise for future reference.....it can drive you crazy....it's like you're gaslighting yourself.

I really enjoy driving my MINI and consider the engine problems a pain and kind of disappointing, but it's worth it.