R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Mini doesn't seem to be so military friendly

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2017 | 12:37 PM
MillsMini
|
Neutral
Mini doesn't seem to be so military friendly

So today has been an interesting day. I had to take my mini in due to a rough idle at start up and it would sputter when accelerating. I was almost certain that it was the HPF, as that is a common failure on the 2009 Clubman S, and it was. I have read multiple threads where people had the same issue and it was covered in the Extended Parts Warranty. I though the same would apply to me but I guess not.

I am in the US Air Force and I am stationed overseas in Germany. Here in the area there are BMW MINI dealers that sell and service US spec Minis. I spoke with the dealer and he asked me to contact MINI USA so that I could get all of the information from them to get the work done. I contacted MINI and was told that the extended part warranty SIM010410 wasn't honored outside of the US even at the dealership that sells and services the US spec ones. I tried to explain my situation too see if there was anyway that they could help me out and they said there is nothing they can do.

So I called up my dad frustrated that I couldn't get any help and this was the email he sent to BMW Customer relations.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Father of a Military member overseas requesting assistance on warrantied part

My son has a 2009 mini cooper clubman S vin WMWMM33569TP72204 with less than 70,000 miles. The vehicle is experiencing a fuel feed problem due to a faulty high pressure fuel pump; diagnosed by a German BMW dealer Euler Group, Pirmasens, Germany. This is a warrantied item according to SIM 010410. I have called customer relations and they claim they will not warranty the part as long as the car is in Germany. My argument is the car was manufactured with a substandard part, acknowledged by an extended warranty on said part. It shouldn't matter where the vehicle is being used or repaired. Please help by honoring the extended part warranty on the vehicle you produced.
I look forward to your prompt response so my son can get his car repaired as soon as possible.

-------------------------------------------------------

I will post the response that we get to the email and the rest as it unfolds.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what I may be able to do to get some assistance? I would be okay with the situation if I was paying around $400 for the part but since the price jump 1 January 2016 to around $1200 that hurts.