R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 DGI’s JCW R55 Ownership Log

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2020, 08:43 AM
DGI
3rd Gear
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by dkdzyn
Did you put in that NM shifter box cover with the Cravenspeed short shifter arm? Does everything fit without modifications or is there any interference between the lower lid and the arm inside or the heat shield/exhaust outside? Thanks.
I did install the NM Shifter Box. No clearance issues with anything. Heat shield and exhaust all went back up with no issues. Huge improvement over stock.

Old 01-17-2020, 09:23 AM
dkdzyn
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Excellent! Thank you for the fast reply DGI. My engine is out and car is on a lift, so I'm looking VERY seriously at this upgrade while in there because my shifter is a sloppy, notchy mess... I'm thinking of a Helix SS with the NM box, and since the Helix is a 37% vs the full 50% of the Cravenspeed, I'm thinking it should work.

Old 02-07-2020, 12:48 PM
DGI
3rd Gear
Snap some pictures today for interested in tensional buyers. Current mileage is 41,751 :-)

she cleans up good after a quick runthrough the local hand wash joint

Old 02-23-2020, 02:08 PM
DGI
3rd Gear
Doing some work in the garage and found the Scangauge I had ordered when I first got the car.

I had ordered a Cravenspeed mount recently that was to work with the JCW gauges.

Even though the car is for sale, its nice to finally have oil pressure, oil temp, engine temp and a/f measures.

Old 03-09-2020, 08:07 AM
DGI
3rd Gear
I got a deposit on my truck and im glad it wasnt the R55 that sold first. Hope to complete the sale of the truck this Saturday.

I know Im going to regret selling the R55 should a buyer step forward but in the mean time, I'm really enjoying the warmer weather and the exhaust note.

Old 04-01-2020, 07:29 PM
DGI
3rd Gear
Got a serious bite on the Clubman but wife and I decided not to pursue a new truck for her with all the current events ongoing...

As a result, I ordered a TSW X Brace and a WMW rear sway bar (25.5mm)

here we go!

The following users liked this post:
njaremka (04-02-2020)
Old 04-11-2020, 10:09 AM
DGI
3rd Gear
Installed the X-Brace today!

Super simple install (with a lift). Certainly feel “something” going around my neighborhood. My only concern is that the bar makes contact with the cat. No noise on my 5 min drive but no road imperfections either.

Maybe my exhaust hangers (rubber) have stretched? But car only has 42k miles...

Old 04-11-2020, 10:14 AM
DGI
3rd Gear
Video of contact between cat and X-Brace

Old 04-11-2020, 04:29 PM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,852 Likes on 1,476 Posts
That’s disappointing. I would try to snug up the exhaust hangers with some worm clamps, and see if you can get the cat up a little higher.

Old 04-11-2020, 04:57 PM
DGI
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by njaremka
That’s disappointing. I would try to snug up the exhaust hangers with some worm clamps, and see if you can get the cat up a little higher.
im going to fiddle with it after work tomorrow or Monday. Plenty of options. Im sure it’ll be an easy fix. I’ll report back after I fiddle with it.

Old 04-13-2020, 09:41 AM
DGI
3rd Gear
Ordered a NM Intake today. Full kit.

Was torn between the NM intake and the CF ECS Box. Found some videos online of the NM Kit and all the wooshing/sucking/blow off-ing noises and I was sold. I just hope theres no seat of the pants torque loss felt.

Hope to make some more space in the engine bay also.

Cant wait for it to arrive.

Old 04-13-2020, 09:54 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Originally Posted by DGI
Ordered a NM Intake today. Full kit.

Was torn between the NM intake and the CF ECS Box. Found some videos online of the NM Kit and all the wooshing/sucking/blow off-ing noises and I was sold. I just hope theres no seat of the pants torque loss felt.

Hope to make some more space in the engine bay also.

Cant wait for it to arrive.
Nice!

Old 04-15-2020, 06:36 AM
DGI
3rd Gear
“While Im in there”

Famous last words.

I figure since i’ll be removing the intake to install the NM intake, may as well swap out some hoses. Get rid of the noise maker, get rid of the turbo muffler, that kind of thing.

I popped the hood on my Mini just now to asses the space i’ll have to work with and much to my surprise, my JCW doesnt have a noise maker!!! Is this factory??

one less thing I suppose... but i may still order the 3 hose Forge kit from WMW just to make sure everything matches (dont judge me)

But wait! Theres more!!

Ordered an Alta BOV Spring.

i couldnt help myself!

Old 04-15-2020, 06:44 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
No noise maker = factory set up for N18 engines, as far as I can tell. Mine didn't have one. However, with that two piece pipe in there, it is restrictive. Replacing that short two-piece pipe with an aftermarket piece, and you'll notice the car flowing better. I installed the NM pipe there and noticed it right away.

The following 2 users liked this post by njaremka:
DGI (04-22-2020), SirKronan (08-08-2020)
Old 04-15-2020, 06:45 AM
DGI
3rd Gear
OHHHH BOYYYYYYY

I talked to Mariokart a while back about an oil filter housing relocation kit and he send me over some info but I was hesitant because I didnt know the details on installing something like this.

Found this video just now:

Oh this summer is going to be fun!!!! Overkill no doubt for a stock turbo application but I REALLY HATE THE STOCK OIL FILTER LOCATION

Old 04-22-2020, 05:28 AM
DGI
3rd Gear
So all the parts I've ordered have arrived and I'm just waiting for some garage time to get wrenching. Will likely tackle the NM Intake/ Forge Hose/ Alta Spring upgrade in one shot (depending on how accessible the hoses are without removing front bumper. Might Remove the wheels in prep for the rear swaybar install and install my wheel stud kit that same day also depending on time. The following day i'll get to the rear sway bar install which requires the rear suspension/sub-frame to come down.

Always looking to the future i've got big plans now that the car is unlikely to leave the garage.

Oil filter relocation/ Oil cooler install (I REALLY HATE the factory oil filter location for many many reasons)
Quaife LSD (will be upgraded when its clutch time so no rush but really looking forward to it)
ARP Rod bolts (will likely happen this summer when its time for a walnut blasting as PM)

Suspension will be either a Bilstein B12 Kit or a AST Spring/Bilstein B8 combo. Need to research the springs and weigh options.

Ultimately I want to go Stage 3. I figure MarioKart can hook it up with whatever turbo he feels matches my needs but keep it safe to run as it will always be my daily and not a dedicated track/weekend toy (hence no need for coilovers/camber plates, etc).

Just thinking out loud on this chilly April morning.

Old 04-22-2020, 06:49 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Originally Posted by DGI
So all the parts I've ordered have arrived and I'm just waiting for some garage time to get wrenching. Will likely tackle the NM Intake/ Forge Hose/ Alta Spring upgrade in one shot (depending on how accessible the hoses are without removing front bumper. Might Remove the wheels in prep for the rear swaybar install and install my wheel stud kit that same day also depending on time. The following day i'll get to the rear sway bar install which requires the rear suspension/sub-frame to come down.

Always looking to the future i've got big plans now that the car is unlikely to leave the garage.

Oil filter relocation/ Oil cooler install (I REALLY HATE the factory oil filter location for many many reasons)
Quaife LSD (will be upgraded when its clutch time so no rush but really looking forward to it)
ARP Rod bolts (will likely happen this summer when its time for a walnut blasting as PM)

Suspension will be either a Bilstein B12 Kit or a AST Spring/Bilstein B8 combo. Need to research the springs and weigh options.

Ultimately I want to go Stage 3. I figure MarioKart can hook it up with whatever turbo he feels matches my needs but keep it safe to run as it will always be my daily and not a dedicated track/weekend toy (hence no need for coilovers/camber plates, etc).

Just thinking out loud on this chilly April morning.

H&R springs with Bilstein B8, or NM Alpha springs with B8
​​​​​​​

Old 04-26-2020, 07:18 PM
DGI
3rd Gear
I did some things this weekend!

njaremka (04-27-2020)
Old 04-27-2020, 05:33 AM
DGI
3rd Gear
Got to work this weekend as the previous post from last night shows.

NM Induction kit
Alta BOV Spring
Forge Turbo Muffler Delete Pipe
Powerflex Exhaust Hangers
MarioKart Wheel Stud Conversion

Removed TSW X-Brace

Everything was relatively straight forward for install. The "muffler" section of the pipe going into the intercooler was a monster PIA to remove mainly because of coolant lines blocking the torx fastner holding it in place but it was removed and now with the NM Induction kit also in place, I can hear the turbo noises I so missed from my 2006 WRX Wagon days. I retained the fresh air pipe as per NM's instructions even though I do like uncluttering the engine bay as much as possible.

I bought the Forge Turbo Pipe set so I have two other pipes to install as well but that will have to wait for a different time.

I replaced the stock BOV spring with the Alta spring and have noticed power not drop off as much between shifts so that was also a worth while upgrade it seems.

I replaced the exhaust hangers near my secondary cat with stiffer units from powerflex and that created some clearance between the cat and the TSW X-Brace but now it actually started making contact with the brace!? LOL On rough roads it now makes contact. I guess before it was solidly resting on the brace and not moving around as much. Oh well, I wasnt a fan of how the added stiffness made the front end push. I've removed the X-Brace for now until at least I either install the upgraded rear sway bar, delete the secondary cat, or decide to leave it off all together and get the GP Undertray for the front end.

Debating the GP Undertray as i hear it helps evacuate hot air from engine bay and I figure I could use all the help I can get with that open filter. FWIW, I have not noticed any loss of torque in the seat of my pants and I sure do wish there was a local dyno available for numbers before and after but no complaints.

Finally I added a set of Wheel Studs from MarioKart. Super easy swap. I used blue loctite instead of red as some suggested just in case. On my old 996, it was suggested I use Anti-Seize (which I did) and never had an issue there so Blue it was. It sure was nice having an allen opening on the end of the studs so I didnt have to use the two nut torquing sequence. I did manage to strip out one of the allens on the second torque check however. Its not going anywhere, but that was a little disappointing. For what its worth, I torqued them all to 40ft-lbs.

I assessed installing the rear sway bar. Very doable but it will take time. Time I dont have right now with work six days a week (COVID has actually increased my work load) and wanting to spend time with my wife and two boys since they've been stuck home for 46 days straight as of today. I'll get to the rear bar at a later date, likely at the same time as the shock/spring upgrade.

Old 04-27-2020, 05:37 AM
DGI
3rd Gear
Everyone loves pics. I keep forgetting to snap some as I progress through installation however

Old 04-27-2020, 06:19 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Love it!

Too bad about the x-brace Maybe try a couple of washers under the rear mounts to space it out a little bit?

I have added the GP2 under tray to my car, because I didn't like that it was all wide open under there. I noticed slightly better fuel efficiency as a side product. Eventually, I would like to add the Clubman aero guides under the gas tank to help a little more with air flow under the car. Your car should have those already, since you have the aero appearance package.

The only reason I wish I had the NM intake is for the sounds. The AEM is all closed up, so I don't get any intake noises. I added a blow off plate to the diverter valve, which gives me the venting noises when I build the boost.

DGI (04-27-2020)
Old 04-27-2020, 06:26 AM
DGI
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by njaremka
Love it!

Too bad about the x-brace Maybe try a couple of washers under the rear mounts to space it out a little bit?

I have added the GP2 under tray to my car, because I didn't like that it was all wide open under there. I noticed slightly better fuel efficiency as a side product. Eventually, I would like to add the Clubman aero guides under the gas tank to help a little more with air flow under the car. Your car should have those already, since you have the aero appearance package.

The only reason I wish I had the NM intake is for the sounds. The AEM is all closed up, so I don't get any intake noises. I added a blow off plate to the diverter valve, which gives me the venting noises when I build the boost.

Trade you my X-Brace for your Under Tray?

Because I already have all the other under body bits it only seems fitting to add the GP2 tray.

Doing all this work under the hood reminded me of how much I hate moving the coolant reservoir for oil changes and how much I hate the factory oil filter location. It seems to take up so much space too now that I've seen the alternative that exists

Old 04-27-2020, 06:38 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Originally Posted by DGI
Trade you my X-Brace for your Under Tray?
Tempting, but no

Old 06-01-2020, 06:50 PM
DGI
3rd Gear
Due for an oil change again...

No better time to order a GP2 undertray and fit it

ECS Tuning to the rescue!

Also ordered a Chemical Guy cleaning kit from Amazon since I dont feel like paying $45 for a car wash twice a month again this summer. Will likely get the car detailed and ceramic coated this summer but for now, this should keep me and the kids busy

Amazon Amazon

ECSTuning (06-02-2020)
Old 06-02-2020, 03:13 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Originally Posted by DGI
Due for an oil change again...

No better time to order a GP2 undertray and fit it

ECS Tuning to the rescue!

Quick Reply: R55 DGI’s JCW R55 Ownership Log