R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 TPMS RDC Control Module Location

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2019, 08:11 AM
lesg45
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TPMS RDC Control Module Location

I have a 2011 Clubman base 1.6. Last week the TPMS warning light came on and it is in an inactive state. Won't reset. I believe the RDC module has quit, but have no idea where it is located in the car. Can anyone help with the location? Also a picture/diagram of it's location would be helpful.
Thank you!

Old 11-04-2019, 09:37 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,844 Likes on 1,471 Posts
The batteries in the sensors have a limited life. If they are the original sensors, its possible the batteries are dead. I would think it to be quite rare for the control module to go out.

Old 12-05-2019, 09:35 PM
notalada
1st Gear
I just posted on a similar but older thread.. on my 13 clubman, the TPMS RDC is centered at rear of car. crawl under. look up on inside of bumper area with your head under the license plate. you should see it. mine died from poor sealing of contacts that pass through the plastic case of the RDC control. you can see a lot about this issue on a yt vid . search for this string:

Fix BMW TPM Malfunction TPMS repair 36106793122 TPM RDC, applicable to MANY BMW & Mini

I cut mine apart like he did. it was in way worse shape and I could not resurrect it with anticorrosion fluid filled sonic bath and soldering skills. ( tools of my day job) hope you fare better.
Lars

Old 12-18-2019, 09:27 AM
lesg45
1st Gear
Okay, took off the inside left trunk area panel, nothing there. Crawled under the rear bumper and the component there looks like the TPMS receiver for the rear wheels, not the control module.

Is there no one on this forum who knows exactly where the TPMS RDC Control module is located on a 2011 Clubman?

Old 12-18-2019, 09:59 AM
notalada
1st Gear
The component you see at the rear bumper IS the TPMS RECEIVER AND CONTROL MODULE. if you paste the search string i posted to this thread a little while ago, it will bring up this yt vid as the top hit.
about 2 minutes into the play, there is a discussion of the 2 systems BMW used for TPMS. YuDaMan, the creator of this vid has a BMW that uses the same setup as our generation of Clubman.
at 5 minutes into his vid, there is an image of the TPMS receiver/control unit removed from vehicle. I recommend watching his entire vid. intelligent, well spoken &useful info.

here are 2 photos of mine. sawed open like he did. Mine has so much corrosion damage after sonic cleaning that it cannot be resurrected. the connector end is so compromised, there are no usable contacts remaining to attempt reconnection to the leads into the part of case with the wire harness jack. I removed the metal RFI cover that mounts on top of rectangular frame to try and get at corrosion inside. if you attempt to open yours, it will have that shiny cover on top. not pictured in either of my shots.

Originally Posted by lesg45
Okay, took off the inside left trunk area panel, nothing there. Crawled under the rear bumper and the component there looks like the TPMS receiver for the rear wheels, not the control module.

Is there no one on this forum who knows exactly where the TPMS RDC Control module is located on a 2011 Clubman?

Old 12-18-2019, 10:33 AM
notalada
1st Gear
In case you are wondering how corrosion can destroy an electronic circuit sealed inside a plastic case, here are some pics that may explain that. I believe that the wiring harness connector does not have sufficient sealing gaskets to prevent moisture- winter road salt brine - from entering the electrical contact area. those bare wire leads are molded into the plastic. once exposed to the salty liquid, they corrode up and expand, allowing more moisture to get further inside. There is very clear evidence of that visible in these 2 pics. If I were ever to replace the TPMS antenna/receiver/control unit, I would likely further seal it in a couple plastic bags. Each with a whole bunch of dessicant packs added inside. Even then, would probably unwrap it seasonally to see if the dessicant was OK or in need of some hot oven time to rejuvenate it.

Old 02-02-2020, 04:39 AM
NBCGLX
4th Gear
Received 113 Likes on 91 Posts
According to this, the F56 TPMS receiver is located on the passenger's side below the rear window near the base of the B-pillar.

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...-1b/1VnXo6Q8p3