R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Shocks / struts - shopping list / JOM or Chinese complete assembly?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2019, 06:58 AM
ZRXChris
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Shocks / struts - shopping list / JOM or Chinese complete assembly?

I’ve got a buddy who’s a good wrench to help me replace my shocks / struts.

My 2010 has 101K. I think I’ve sorted all of my engine, cooling issues, but this is still a big investment. Hoping my Mini will last at least another 50K without any huge issues, so I’m not sure if I should just go the easy route and do full assemblies or these JOM shocks that are on sale for about the same price.

1. Full assembly $324
https://www.1aauto.com/mini-cooper-f...t/i/1assp01861

2. JOM’s from ECS $369(sale)
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-jom-part...ng/741176~jom/

I figure with either one I’ll get one of the ECS cup kits. I’ve got a couple of rusty mounting bolts on the left rear shock. Also my left rear control arm is bent, just gonna replace both rear control arms with something cheap.

do I have to get new upper strut mounts for the JOM or if my stock ones are good can I use them?

thanks for the advice!

Old 12-20-2019, 07:15 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,852 Likes on 1,476 Posts
With option 1 you will not need the cup kit from ECS. Looks to be a full bolt in assembly.

With Option 2, you will need the cup kit. This option will likely ride much worse, since it is a cheap Chinese coil over kit.

It is likely that your springs are still in good shape, so I wouldn't see a need to replace them. Get the Bilstein B4 replacement shocks and the cup kit from ECS, swap over your springs, and should be good to go for at least another 50k miles.

The following users liked this post:
ZRXChris (12-20-2019)
Old 12-20-2019, 07:33 AM
ZRXChris
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
thanks! Yeah that will save me a few bucks too, the blistiens are like $309

if my left rear lower control arm is bent, do I need to get any replacement connectors/bushings to go with that? I figured I’d replace both of the rear lower control arms.

Originally Posted by njaremka
With option 1 you will not need the cup kit from ECS. Looks to be a full bolt in assembly.

With Option 2, you will need the cup kit. This option will likely ride much worse, since it is a cheap Chinese coil over kit.

It is likely that your springs are still in good shape, so I wouldn't see a need to replace them. Get the Bilstein B4 replacement shocks and the cup kit from ECS, swap over your springs, and should be good to go for at least another 50k miles.

Old 12-20-2019, 07:41 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,852 Likes on 1,476 Posts
If you just want stock replacement control arms, you could probably pick up a set of used take-offs for pretty cheap. Shouldn't need to purchase replacement bushings for them.

ZRXChris (12-20-2019)
Old 12-20-2019, 11:50 AM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 768 Likes on 626 Posts
This is one of those times you get what you pay for. Buying Chinese parts for the suspension is just that as they aren't going to have the ride quality or performance of a quality shock. Kinda like a cheap no name tire vs a Michelin. Or getting a cheap off brand tennis shoe vs a pair of Nike shoes. We all have MINIs and enjoy them for what they do and we don't want to take away from that let alone do the job twice.
As long as your strut mounts are in good condition and not cracked you can reuse them. Same with the rubbers and cups for the springs. Replacing these if not broken is just spending extra money and cutting into the budget. Even if the cups have a little surface rust that isn't a concern as that has happened on the car you drive and replacing them it's just going to happen again and still not effect it. You can slap some paint on them and clean them up if you want and still be cheaper than buying new.
So for the shocks I like the Koni FSDs as I've found them to ride the best and have a lifetime warranty. This will not only keep the performance that we want from the car, but on the daily and highway improve the ride to make the car better.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/koni-s...7-r58-r59.html
Or go with the B6 or B8 Bilsteins, they will be better than the china ones. I would like to say the B4s would be better, but honestly I haven't been a fan of them either as I feel they are a made in china quality Bilstein.

For rear control arms going with a good used one to replace the bent one will be by far the cheapest option as we sell used take offs on our website for $60
https://www.waymotorworks.com/oem-re...trol-arms.html
But I would honestly spend the extra and go with a set of adj arms as this way you can remove some of the rear camber and get the car aligned better to save tire like. Yes they cost more, but long term they will save you more than that in tire wear as tires just aren't cheap these days.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/h-spor...ber-links.html

If you still want the cups mounts and such we do offer all that, but here in my shop we only do them if we find it necessary which is rare as those parts just don't wear out. The mounts do and we do replace them as they break or upgrade in a situation like this to the IE fixed plates as they are stronger and about the same price as stock. But give you more camber.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more

ZRXChris (12-20-2019)