R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Cold Air Intake

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2019, 03:39 PM
mjkinga
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cold Air Intake

2011 Clubman S: So I keep looking online for a CAI and need the complete system all the way to the turbo since my factory piece where sensor attaches to is broken. Everything I find is only a filter and box attaching to the factory plastic pipe.

Does anyone know what CAI is a complete replacement? Thank you

Old 12-20-2019, 04:00 PM
Kupona
3rd Gear
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
NM.658858 (the part number) is what I have currently installed. Caution as some CAI can affect your AFRs and cause problems with the ECU. I had no problems with mine before and after tune.

Old 12-20-2019, 04:07 PM
mjkinga
1st Gear
so how does the lower sensor mount? The piece in the factory tube doesn’t come out just unsnaps and the right sensor?

Originally Posted by Kupona
NM.658858 (the part number) is what I have currently installed. Caution as some CAI can affect your AFRs and cause problems with the ECU. I had no problems with mine before and after tune.

Old 12-20-2019, 04:44 PM
Kupona
3rd Gear
They should have a pdf of instructions on their website that explain what to do. My tips would be find the end of the single use worm clamp and pry it off with a needle nose pliers.

EDIT: The sensor on right side of turbo inlet tube disconnects, you take out the plastic insert piece, and that is the tube that connects to the right side of the little "y" pipe.

Last edited by Kupona; 12-20-2019 at 04:52 PM.
Old 12-21-2019, 09:21 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,852 Likes on 1,476 Posts
That NM intake includes resistors for the heater elements on the stock vent tubes, and a y connector for the two vent tubes. The NM intake is a quality piece, but not a true cold air intake since it’s open to the engine bay.

Old 12-21-2019, 10:25 AM
mjkinga
1st Gear
Originally Posted by njaremka
That NM intake includes resistors for the heater elements on the stock vent tubes, and a y connector for the two vent tubes. The NM intake is a quality piece, but not a true cold air intake since it’s open to the engine bay.

ok. Thanks. Ordered.

Old 12-22-2019, 12:54 AM
Kupona
3rd Gear
Temps only climb in stopped traffic. I live in California with avg temp between 60-80. Never more than 15 degrees above ambient and when going 20mph or faster its either matching ambient temps or less than 5 above. Sucking noise is addicting.

The following users liked this post:
DGI (04-12-2020)
Old 12-22-2019, 05:54 AM
mjkinga
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Kupona
Temps only climb in stopped traffic. I live in California with avg temp between 60-80. Never more than 15 degrees above ambient and when going 20mph or faster its either matching ambient temps or less than 5 above. Sucking noise is addicting.

cool. My engine temps vary definitely while in traffic or sitting still. Most times it sits around 208 degrees but will climb to 223. I’m thinking the fan can’t be working properly.

Old 12-22-2019, 06:50 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 768 Likes on 626 Posts
If you really want an intake I'd go with the AEM as it has the duct to direct air to the filter. The intakes open to the engine compartment just suck in hot air and loose power, but made sound.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/aem-co...-cooper-s.html
Since you need the intake hose just go with a new stock one as it will be a perfect fit and have no check engine light or have to bypass anything. There isn't any power to gain in that intake hose change.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/oem-mi...9-r60-r61.html

Otherwise just replace the hose and keep the stock intake.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more

Old 12-22-2019, 07:43 PM
Kupona
3rd Gear
Multiple data log posts on the forums have refuted the claims towards some CAIs that they only suck hot air. I'll post a data log myself tonight after my drive from work.

I don't think the AEM kit includes the pcv heater resistors, though i could be wrong.

Way is right that if you are intending to keep OEM dimensions for the turbo inlet tube then just order a new OEM inlet pipe. If buying a complete kit they usually will provide a slightly improved turbo inlet tube (like mine did).

Old 12-23-2019, 01:02 AM
mjkinga
1st Gear
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
If you really want an intake I'd go with the AEM as it has the duct to direct air to the filter. The intakes open to the engine compartment just suck in hot air and loose power, but made sound.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/aem-co...-cooper-s.html
Since you need the intake hose just go with a new stock one as it will be a perfect fit and have no check engine light or have to bypass anything. There isn't any power to gain in that intake hose change.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/oem-mi...9-r60-r61.html

Otherwise just replace the hose and keep the stock intake.

the complete kit you listed has that hose being replaced and then I wouldn’t need the factory replacement. My factory one on the small manifold hose that comes down and attaches the connector on the breather is cracked. That’s the only thing wrong with mine. The AEM other than the box looks exactly like the NM version and comes with that hose replacement. But NM is talking about needing resistors to offset any lights being triggered. Your saying if I got this right to ditch the pipe and elbow down to the turbo and buy a replacement stock hose for an additional $148. Seems like this is getting more expensive. Lol. I like the look of the whole setup I just don’t want to deal with check engine lights. Will the AEM your suggesting trigger any lights?

i also just cancelled the NM order for now until I get solid info. I emailed them to cancel since they are closed.

Old 12-24-2019, 04:20 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,852 Likes on 1,476 Posts
The AEM for the N18 motor does not replace the turbo inlet pipe. Only the NM intake replaces that pipe.

The following users liked this post:
DGI (04-12-2020)
Old 12-24-2019, 04:31 AM
mjkinga
1st Gear
Originally Posted by njaremka
The AEM for the N18 motor does not replace the turbo inlet pipe. Only the NM intake replaces that pipe.

and that’s why I can’t go by the picture. Thanks. Back to buying NM

Old 12-24-2019, 07:00 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 768 Likes on 626 Posts
Originally Posted by mjkinga
and that’s why I can’t go by the picture. Thanks. Back to buying NM
If you select the N18 option on the AEM intake on our page the picture changes to show you the N18 one doesn't include the intake hose.
The AEM doesn't come with anything to bypass the sensors because you keep the stock hose in place, so no check engine lights.

Yes with the NM you can get it with or without the hose. with the NM hard intake hose you will need to use their resistors to keep off any check engine light.
But again with the NM you just suck all the hot engine air. So for the price I would just use the DDM street intake with a new stock hose as it will work just the same, or the NM intake without the pipe.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/07-10-...mance/intakes/

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more

Old 12-25-2019, 03:03 AM
mjkinga
1st Gear
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
If you select the N18 option on the AEM intake on our page the picture changes to show you the N18 one doesn't include the intake hose.
The AEM doesn't come with anything to bypass the sensors because you keep the stock hose in place, so no check engine lights.

Yes with the NM you can get it with or without the hose. with the NM hard intake hose you will need to use their resistors to keep off any check engine light.
But again with the NM you just suck all the hot engine air. So for the price I would just use the DDM street intake with a new stock hose as it will work just the same, or the NM intake without the pipe.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/07-10-...mance/intakes/
i reordered the NM kit yesterday morning Before you opened but it never shipped out seeing you were probably closed on Christmas Eve. No biggie. Looking to get it. I take it I could always buy an air box from another kit and use that and then it would be a cold air. Thank for all the help.