R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Heater blows cold, low coolant

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2020 | 05:32 PM
chrisbear
|
1st Gear
Heater blows cold, low coolant

Looking for some thoughts on where to start... I've researched this on the forums and have made a lot of headway, but am looking for additional opinions. 2012 Mini clubman S, 21k miles. I just bought it from the original owner who drove it sparingly. I've put about 1k miles on it in the last 30 days since purchase. While I was driving it last night, I noticed that the HEAT was blowing COLD (not hot). I about sh*t myself and my mind started percolating. It seemed to be worse at idle. So far, I've checked the coolant and it was about 24-36 oz low. I refilled it this morning. After refilling coolant, the problem resolved at higer RPMs but slightly persists at idle. (Coolant was checked ~45 days ago and was ok.) I ran diagnostics and it isn't throwing any codes.

Research on this forum has me concerned about water pump failure (which apparently has an open extended warranty on the issue (relatedly, there apparently was a class action against Mini for the water pump which resolved in a settlement)).

I have a scan guage 2 arriving tonight.

Anyone have any thoughts on the possible culprit or how to proceed? Clogged line? Leaky line? Leaky water pump? Something else?

Any feedback is appreciated!

Last edited by chrisbear; 01-28-2020 at 08:24 PM.
Old 01-29-2020 | 05:35 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
My guess is you have a leak, check these areas first. I would look for coolant leaks at the location of those parts.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...8-no-heat.html

On the thermostat you will need this part number for the newer MINIs. Look at your production date as you may also nee the harness adapter if its never been changed.

https://www.ecstuning.com/Mini-2012-...ng/Thermostat/

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 01-29-2020 | 07:21 AM
chrisbear
|
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
My guess is you have a leak, check these areas first. I would look for coolant leaks at the location of those parts.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...8-no-heat.html

On the thermostat you will need this part number for the newer MINIs. Look at your production date as you may also nee the harness adapter if its never been changed.

https://www.ecstuning.com/Mini-2012-...ng/Thermostat/
Thank you! I'll try to report back with my findings.

Old 01-29-2020 | 06:12 PM
Jason Cornelius
6th Gear
Originally Posted by chrisbear
Looking for some thoughts on where to start... I've researched this on the forums and have made a lot of headway, but am looking for additional opinions. 2012 Mini clubman S, 21k miles. I just bought it from the original owner who drove it sparingly. I've put about 1k miles on it in the last 30 days since purchase. While I was driving it last night, I noticed that the HEAT was blowing COLD (not hot). I about sh*t myself and my mind started percolating. It seemed to be worse at idle. So far, I've checked the coolant and it was about 24-36 oz low. I refilled it this morning. After refilling coolant, the problem resolved at higer RPMs but slightly persists at idle. (Coolant was checked ~45 days ago and was ok.) I ran diagnostics and it isn't throwing any codes.

Research on this forum has me concerned about water pump failure (which apparently has an open extended warranty on the issue (relatedly, there apparently was a class action against Mini for the water pump which resolved in a settlement)).

I have a scan guage 2 arriving tonight.

Anyone have any thoughts on the possible culprit or how to proceed? Clogged line? Leaky line? Leaky water pump? Something else?

Any feedback is appreciated!
I had the same problem, my coolant reservoir was leaking like it separated in half. New reservoir and no issues since, obviously had a flush done and had them put the mini/bmw blue coolant back in.