R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Oil Catch Can

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2020 | 02:15 PM
Jason Cornelius
|
6th Gear
Oil Catch Can

Well today was the day I decided to empty the oil catch can. I’m getting an oil change in the morning so I thought I would be nice and empty it for them. This is 2000 miles, I put around a 1000 on before the OCC, and yes I need to use glass or a better container as the gas started eating the solo cup this turning it red as you see. I clearly need to check it every week or two, not 2000 miles. I do have the valve cover blocked off that leads to throttle or intake. The OCC pics are 2 days before it was deleted. If your thinking about doing an OCC do it, this OCC cost me less than 50 bucks off amazon.

The following users liked this post:
minidd99 (02-06-2020)
Old 02-06-2020 | 01:58 PM
Jason Cornelius
|
6th Gear
200 miles after oil change, this was just one week.

Old 02-06-2020 | 06:17 PM
minidd99
3rd Gear
Do you idle it alot?
Are your hose fittings plastic or metal?
I couldn't tell by the photos.

Old 02-06-2020 | 06:21 PM
Jason Cornelius
|
6th Gear
Originally Posted by minidd99
Do you idle it alot?
Are your hose fittings plastic or metal?
I couldn't tell by the photos.
those are brass fittings, and I do let car warm up every time before I drive 5 to 10 min depending on temp. 40 and below most likely is going to be as least 10 min. I need to move to Florida, I’m sick of being cold in Ohio.

There definitely is more water/gas than oil. I’m still getting 30 mpg per tank, drive it in sport mode only, and she does she 100 plus mph at least 4 days a week during 40 mile round trip to work.

Last edited by Jason Cornelius; 02-06-2020 at 06:27 PM.
Old 02-06-2020 | 06:40 PM
Jason Cornelius
|
6th Gear
I guess this thread is a way for me to track things. I’ve had Clubby for going on 3 months. I’m 3rd owner and she has 140,0xx on her. This was Motul 8100 x-cess 5w-40. I don’t know what was in it before but i know I added 2qts Castrol edge 5w-40 syn, which I might go back to next change.

Old 02-07-2020 | 05:40 AM
jwzimm
2nd Gear
So something about this type of OCC installation. The crankcase ventilation system on the N14 is pretty complex. This installation of an OCC seems to be the most common since it is the easiest to manufacture and install. The thing though is that the circuit this is being installed on is the boost side of the ventilation system. It is only in operation when there is no vacuum in the intake manifold and the check valve in the vacuum circuit closes. At idle and under most driving conditions I would venture a guess that this circuit isn't even in operation and the vacuum circuit is handling the ventilation.

I have been researching OCC's and I see almost no one makes a specific solution for the vacuum circuit of the ventilation system (tap comes off the passenger side of the valve cover). I can totally understand why though as that circuit requires a lot more design consideration. It can be under full vacuum as well as full boost and cannot leak. The boost circuit is under ambient pressure so you don't have to be as careful in the design to ensure proper sealing. The motive force for the venting would be any positive pressure in the crankcase and that would only really occur when there is significant blow-by in the rings (boosting).

I have a vacuum circuit OCC coming from GT Tuning that I am going to install on my JCW N14. I currently do not plan on installing one on the boost circuit. My main goal is to try and prevent carbon buildup on the intake valves and I think that the vacuum circuit OCC will have more effect on this. The boost circuit is not in operation as much and the gases vented have a good long way to go which should allow the entrained oil to settle out (yes it will end up in the intercooler, oh well).

Old 02-07-2020 | 05:49 AM
Jason Cornelius
|
6th Gear
Originally Posted by jwzimm
So something about this type of OCC installation. The crankcase ventilation system on the N14 is pretty complex. This installation of an OCC seems to be the most common since it is the easiest to manufacture and install. The thing though is that the circuit this is being installed on is the boost side of the ventilation system. It is only in operation when there is no vacuum in the intake manifold and the check valve in the vacuum circuit closes. At idle and under most driving conditions I would venture a guess that this circuit isn't even in operation and the vacuum circuit is handling the ventilation.

I have been researching OCC's and I see almost no one makes a specific solution for the vacuum circuit of the ventilation system (tap comes off the passenger side of the valve cover). I can totally understand why though as that circuit requires a lot more design consideration. It can be under full vacuum as well as full boost and cannot leak. The boost circuit is under ambient pressure so you don't have to be as careful in the design to ensure proper sealing. The motive force for the venting would be any positive pressure in the crankcase and that would only really occur when there is significant blow-by in the rings (boosting).

I have a vacuum circuit OCC coming from GT Tuning that I am going to install on my JCW N14. I currently do not plan on installing one on the boost circuit. My main goal is to try and prevent carbon buildup on the intake valves and I think that the vacuum circuit OCC will have more effect on this. The boost circuit is not in operation as much and the gases vented have a good long way to go which should allow the entrained oil to settle out (yes it will end up in the intercooler, oh well).
I too am trying to stop carbon build up so I completely blocked off passenger side at valve cover and on intake manifold.

Old 02-07-2020 | 06:16 AM
jwzimm
2nd Gear
I REALLY do not recommend that! Everything I have read indicates that simply blocking off that port can cause more problems than it solves. Chief among them, you eliminate the vacuum in the crankcase that was designed for. One side effect I have read is that the bearings in the turbo need that vacuum to scavenge the oil back to in the return line otherwise they can overpressure and leak oil into the turbine side.

In any case, it seems to be working for you but I tend to try and not change the basic design of a system I am not 100% familiar with.

Old 02-07-2020 | 07:28 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
I also would be hesitant to think you are solving anything by blocking off the intake port on the cam cover. Best solution would be to install an oil catch can on that side in addition to the one you have on the intake side. The engine was designed to utilize both of those circuits, and blocking one would likely cause other issues.

Old 02-07-2020 | 07:33 AM
Jason Cornelius
|
6th Gear
So far running with no issues. i do run her pretty hard. Definitely will keeps track of things here if anything comes up.

Old 02-07-2020 | 08:00 AM
DneprDave
6th Gear
I blocked off the PCV line to the throttle body and put an oil catch can on the PCV line to the turbocharger inlet ten years ago and I haven't had any issues. The main reason was to eliminate the path for oil vapor to get to the intake valves and prevent carbon build up. I haven't looked at my intake valves, but the engine hasn't shown any symptoms of carbon buildup either.

Old 02-07-2020 | 08:45 AM
Jason Cornelius
|
6th Gear
Originally Posted by DneprDave
I blocked off the PCV line to the throttle body and put an oil catch can on the PCV line to the turbocharger inlet ten years ago and I haven't had any issues. The main reason was to eliminate the path for oil vapor to get to the intake valves and prevent carbon build up. I haven't looked at my intake valves, but the engine hasn't shown any symptoms of carbon buildup either.
that’s good to hear, basically what I got going on.

Old 02-13-2020 | 02:19 PM
Jason Cornelius
|
6th Gear
Weekly update. 500 miles in, same amount emptied from OCC and topped of oil with 1/4 QT. Emptied jar into empty oil bottle and I’m at just a hair over 250 ml. Disposed at Autozone and picked up a fresh QT. Ready for weekend ripping.

Old 04-17-2020 | 10:05 AM
ZRXChris
2nd Gear
R55 105k

Is it worth it to install an oil catch can on an N14 R55 at 105K. I’ve just about gotten all the oil leaks fixed. Last step is new calavera cover / pvc, so wondering if it’s worth it to install and oil catch can at 105K or did I miss the boat and at this point it’s not gonna make a difference.

Old 04-17-2020 | 10:14 AM
Jason Cornelius
|
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ZRXChris
Is it worth it to install an oil catch can on an N14 R55 at 105K. I’ve just about gotten all the oil leaks fixed. Last step is new calavera cover / pvc, so wondering if it’s worth it to install and oil catch can at 105K or did I miss the boat and at this point it’s not gonna make a difference.
I bought my car with 137,000, right around 144,000, on the odometer so there really isn’t a bad time to do it, non boost engine you will be keep that junk from collecting on your intake valves.

The following users liked this post:
ZRXChris (04-17-2020)
Old 06-13-2020 | 04:55 PM
Tillos
1st Gear
I know this is a bit of an old thread, but I'm hoping you could give me some advice! That catch can doesn't look like the $300+ dollar one that minimania sells, or any of the somewhat official and expensive catch cans that are 'designed for minis'. Could you tell me which one you have? I'd love to save some money on the one that I'm planning on purchasing, but I'm not too sure what to get.

Old 06-13-2020 | 04:59 PM
Jason Cornelius
|
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Tillos
I know this is a bit of an old thread, but I'm hoping you could give me some advice! That catch can doesn't look like the $300+ dollar one that minimania sells, or any of the somewhat official and expensive catch cans that are 'designed for minis'. Could you tell me which one you have? I'd love to save some money on the one that I'm planning on purchasing, but I'm not too sure what to get.
I bought it from amazon, all of the brass fittings, catch can kit, and extra hose, all for under 50 bucks.

pretty sure all of the parts are listed in description.

Old 06-13-2020 | 05:04 PM
Tillos
1st Gear
That was exactly the one I was looking at, thanks for the quick response!

Old 06-13-2020 | 05:08 PM
Jason Cornelius
|
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Tillos
That was exactly the one I was looking at, thanks for the quick response!
yep no problem.

Old 06-14-2020 | 09:56 AM
minidd99
3rd Gear
I installed close to the same OCC but with PVC fittings. Works great for me.