R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Nav/radio problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2020 | 09:52 PM
Tracy Amelio
|
Neutral
Nav/radio problems

Hi I just recently bought an 08 clubman, and the only issue I have is with the radio. My clubman has the Nav/radio, and my issue is the radio and Satellite option do not work. I can listen to cds but that's it. I cannot connect through bluetooth, or the aux option. I was told at the dealership the computer box in the back of the car is bad and would be 1,500 to replace. Anyone have experience with this and where is this computer box located and what's it called? I can't find anything on line.... please help!!!

Old 02-13-2020 | 05:54 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
The radio tuner is part of the unit itself. when you say it doesn't work, do you mean to say that you can select the radio but there is no sound or channels are shown, or there is no radio option to select right off the bat?

the Bluetooth module is under the driver seat/carpet. the "computer box" they're referring to is actually the amplifier.

use realoem.com for parts illustration, numbers, and locations. use newtis.info for how to's.

finally, did you check the fuse or tried to reset the radio (either disconnect the battery for a bit, or remove the fuse {safer option})

Old 02-13-2020 | 06:23 PM
Tracy Amelio
|
Neutral
When I try to select the radio option on the nav screen it is not lit up and you can not choose that option. The dealership it's self told me the radio module needs to be replaced(not radio head unit). In taking it to the dealership to get checked out I assumed they checked all fuses related to my issue. I thought maybe it's the IBOC module. But I can't seem to find any diagrams of where that's located. Any help is appreciated.
Originally Posted by MiniToBe
The radio tuner is part of the unit itself. when you say it doesn't work, do you mean to say that you can select the radio but there is no sound or channels are shown, or there is no radio option to select right off the bat?

the Bluetooth module is under the driver seat/carpet. the "computer box" they're referring to is actually the amplifier.

use realoem.com for parts illustration, numbers, and locations. use newtis.info for how to's.

finally, did you check the fuse or tried to reset the radio (either disconnect the battery for a bit, or remove the fuse {safer option})

Old 02-22-2020 | 11:29 AM
club_c
1st Gear
Hi Tracy. I have a similar story, recently buying an 09 Clubman with the radio not working. However none of the audio would work so I replaced the head unit with another used one. (I do not have “Nav” or Sirius”). Once that was done I had an indy shop reprogram the radio for my particular car. Surprisingly the radio worked as soon as I plugged it in, but the BT/phone feature would not work until reprogrammed.
The amplifier is in a recessed box under the drivers seat. It is easy to access, only requiring removal of the 4 seat anchor bolts and one screw for the box lid. However DO NOT disconnect the wiring harness to the seat or you will be having a shop reset your airbag light for $50 (don’t ask me how I know).
i picked up a complete used head unit for $100 and it took me about 2 hours to re and re. It’s actually quite simple and I’d be way faster if I had to do it again. There’s a couple of decent videos on how to do it.
I paid $100 for a used radio head and $250 for recoding once it was in. The recoding included bringing all systems up to date, not just the radio. Hope this helps a bit.
BTW not all Mini radios from that era had the BT and phone options. If you buy a used one make sure it does have those things. If you’re buying from wrecker online they often have the car VIN in the description. You can search that VIN on a couple of websites and confirm the donor car had those features before purchasing.