R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 09 Clubman S: Time for Struts

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2021, 02:13 PM
Redmere58
Neutral
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
09 Clubman S: Time for Struts

My MINI is approaching 120k miles and I am thinking about refreshing the suspension starting with the front struts. When shopping for struts I see there are different parts offered for Sport and non-Sport suspension. What is the difference? I assume it is valving/rebound/compression characteristics but are the components physically different?
I am leaning toward Sachs or Bilstein B4 struts because I am more interested in a comfortable ride than corner carving. Is there another brand I should consider? Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Old 02-06-2021, 05:01 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,852 Likes on 1,476 Posts
The sport suspension was the stiffer factory option. It’s likely that you don’t have that option.

Before I make a recommendation, I only have one question: What is your goal for the car? Is this something to get you by for another year or so, while you save for a replacement? Or are you hoping to get another 4-5 years out of it?

Old 02-06-2021, 06:17 AM
Redmere58
Neutral
I plan on having this car for a long time. I don't mind spending money on quality suspension but I can't imagine investing in coilovers. I will probably start replacing bushings with polyurethane as they wear out and upgrade the rear sway bar soon. I have 17 inch wheels with semi-performance tires (not all-weather run-flats). I do not want an autocross beast, just a nice handling, smooth riding everyday driver MINI.

Old 02-06-2021, 06:28 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Gotcha.

If it was me, I would start with Bilstein B6 shocks, and the ECS installation kit. The B6 will work fine with you stock springs, and give you a much more controlled ride. The installation kit will refresh the strut mounts, and gives you all the bolts that might be rusty after all these years. You could piece it together on your own, but he kit makes it an easy choice.
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-bilstein...ispsetr56~bil/
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-assemble...31306772749kt/

Another option would be the Koni Special Active shocks. I have an aversion to Koni, so I wouldn’t go with that option. But, it has proved to be a popular option on the forum.
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-koni-par...89/87451189kt/

So, start with the shocks and mounts, then get a precision alignment, and go from there. (a precision alignment is one that’s dialed in to exact numbers, not just in the “green”)

The following users liked this post:
ECSTuning (02-08-2021)
Old 02-08-2021, 06:20 AM
leftfield6
2nd Gear
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Nik, what is (if you don't mind sharing) your aversion to the Koni FSD choice? After reading many endorsements here on the site, I puled the trigger on getting these installed on my 2008 Clubman S with 101K miles. I'm curious if there is going to be a downside? It's at the shop right now getting done.

What I'm hoping I get, and what the FSDs claim, is tight handling when being pushed hard, but a slightly more compliant ride on just daily cruising down the street. I know I will still "feel" every expansion joint, but I'm hoping I "feel" them a little less. I'm also getting the WMW rear sway done at the same time.

Old 02-08-2021, 06:35 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Originally Posted by leftfield6
Nik, what is (if you don't mind sharing) your aversion to the Koni FSD choice? After reading many endorsements here on the site, I puled the trigger on getting these installed on my 2008 Clubman S with 101K miles. I'm curious if there is going to be a downside? It's at the shop right now getting done.

What I'm hoping I get, and what the FSDs claim, is tight handling when being pushed hard, but a slightly more compliant ride on just daily cruising down the street. I know I will still "feel" every expansion joint, but I'm hoping I "feel" them a little less. I'm also getting the WMW rear sway done at the same time.
I've had bad experiences (yes, plural) with Koni, everything from poor quality materials to horrible customer service. I refuse to recommend Koni for any application. Not everyone has the same experience, so I'll just leave it at that. The FSD shocks are supposed to be a good OEM replacement.

Old 02-08-2021, 06:56 AM
leftfield6
2nd Gear
Well, that sucks! That will put you off a company, for sure. I'm already committed, so fingers crossed for a better result!

Thanks for the reply!

Old 02-08-2021, 09:50 AM
crazy4trains
3rd Gear
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Please follow up with your experience. The more of those we have the easier it is to make an informed decision.

Old 02-08-2021, 10:02 AM
Juppers
2nd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I put the FSDs on last spring and am very happy with them. The only part I don't like is they stopped making them gold and red was the only option. Ew!

WayMotorWorks (02-09-2021)
Old 02-15-2021, 10:26 AM
leftfield6
2nd Gear
As I mentioned above, my R55 S was at the shop to get Koni FSDs all around and a new rear sway installed. So far so good. I've only got about 300 miles on the new set up, but they are much better at soaking up the rough country roads near where I live. The sway bar is keeping the car a little flatter through turns, and the shocks are doing what shocks do, which is give a controlled ride. My OEM shocks were 12 years old, and had 101K on them, so that's all I have to compare them with. My past experience with these worn out shocks was different in that they had really "hardened" and seemingly had no ability to absorb a bump. The Konis seems leagues better so far. I'll report back after I get a few more miles on them.

Old 02-15-2021, 10:36 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
As I mentioned above, my R55 S was at the shop to get Koni FSDs all around and a new rear sway installed. So far so good. I've only got about 300 miles on the new set up, but they are much better at soaking up the rough country roads near where I live. The sway bar is keeping the car a little flatter through turns, and the shocks are doing what shocks do, which is give a controlled ride. My OEM shocks were 12 years old, and had 101K on them, so that's all I have to compare them with. My past experience with these worn out shocks was different in that they had really "hardened" and seemingly had no ability to absorb a bump. The Konis seems leagues better so far. I'll report back after I get a few more miles on them.
Which rear sway bar did you go with?

The FSDs are supposed to have two stage damping. For small input disturbances, the damping is very mild. For larger disturbances, the damping is supposed to firm up. This is supposed to give the feel of luxury when cruising, and sporty when pushing it. The down side... they work best with OEM springs. Add lowering springs, and you're always hitting the bump stops, which makes the ride harsh. I'm glad you're happy with them. Keep an eye on them for any signs of leaking.

Old 02-15-2021, 12:52 PM
leftfield6
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by njaremka
Which rear sway bar did you go with?

The FSDs are supposed to have two stage damping. For small input disturbances, the damping is very mild. For larger disturbances, the damping is supposed to firm up. This is supposed to give the feel of luxury when cruising, and sporty when pushing it. The down side... they work best with OEM springs. Add lowering springs, and you're always hitting the bump stops, which makes the ride harsh. I'm glad you're happy with them. Keep an eye on them for any signs of leaking.

I went with the Way Motor Works sway, and had it installed to the middle of the three settings. I'm running OEM springs, so hopefully this combo of sway bar and Konis play nicely together with the stock ride height and spring rates.

WayMotorWorks (02-15-2021)
Old 03-17-2021, 07:22 AM
Cassidypal
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Did you end up putting these struts on yourself, or taking them to a shop? I just picked up an '11 clubman project that needs new struts, I'm hesitant to take on the job without doing a bit of research however. When I tried to change the front struts in my R53, both pinch bolts snapped right off Was curious if there were any pitfalls to avoid on the R55

Old 03-17-2021, 07:59 AM
leftfield6
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Cassidypal
Did you end up putting these struts on yourself, or taking them to a shop? I just picked up an '11 clubman project that needs new struts, I'm hesitant to take on the job without doing a bit of research however. When I tried to change the front struts in my R53, both pinch bolts snapped right off Was curious if there were any pitfalls to avoid on the R55
If I had not moved back in December, I would have tackled the job myself. But my new garage is not set up yet, and has a little bit less space. I had a shop do it. I did use a shop that specialized in BMWs and MINIs, so I paid a bit more than a corner garage would have charged, but I wanted the confidence of knowing this wasn't the first time they did this job. All good so far!

Cassidypal (05-01-2021)
Old 03-17-2021, 08:20 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Originally Posted by Cassidypal
Its not a difficult task. Biggest difference between R53 and R56/55 front struts is the R53 uses a threaded knuckle for the lower pinch bolt. The R56/55 uses a through bolt with nut for the pinch bolt. Even if you break the bolt, you can just cut the nut off and pound the bolt out.

Cassidypal (05-01-2021)
Old 03-18-2021, 01:09 PM
lost john
1st Gear
Leftfield6- Sounds good.! I'm learning about shocks and struts on these little buggers. I have a '14 clubman Justa with 48000 miles but from southern Arizona and I'm determined to get it to ride good. Getting rid of the runflats didn't do a damnbit'ofgood. I'm interested in what you say about old shocks hardened up. Makes sense . I always thought that worn out shocks had no dampening at all. Keep us informed ...Thanks

Old 03-31-2021, 12:05 PM
aggst1
1st Gear
My 2014 Clubman S developed a leak on the front passenger side strut the past few months and the ride had deteriorated considerably. The car felt unstable going over potholes and the ride was very harsh to the point that passengers would comment how bad it was! I had all 4 corners replaced three weeks ago with Koni Special Active struts and shocks and the result could not be better. The ride is very much improved, it is very confidence inspiring and the car is very well planted on the ground when turning. Very big difference from the way it was before.

Although hard to remember how the OEM suspension was originally, before it deteriorated, I am willing to say that the Koni's are a bit firmer while the damping when hitting a pothole feels softer! I know it is weird but I now understand what they mean by "best of both worlds" in the marketing materials. I would definitely recommend the Koni Special Actives for anyone looking to improve handling, damping, and the overall ride while at same time enjoy spirited driving going on twisty roads at speed where they are firm.

Old 04-08-2021, 07:43 AM
leftfield6
2nd Gear
So, somewhat of an update, but really just a continuation. As I posted above, I did 4 red Koni shocks a few months back, and today I did new tires. Had Michelin Pilots that were down to the wear bars, and I didn't realize how hard they gotten. This morning, Discount Tires installed 4 new Conti DWS06 tires, and WOW, what a difference. With the Koni reds, the upgraded rear sway bar, and now new high quality tires, it really is getting dialed in. On the 20 mile drive home over some curvy secondary roads, she picks a line through the curves and firms up. Going straight, bumps that gave me a hard shudder before are now just a soft thump. Believe me, I know this road and I know every pothole, dip, joint, etc.

So far, I'm loving the Koni shocks, still low miles on them, we will see what happens down the road.

ECSTuning (04-12-2021)
Old 04-11-2021, 02:13 PM
Yoshimura 1
5th Gear
Received 71 Likes on 68 Posts
That's great that your getting it sorted out and dialed in.

Old 04-14-2021, 05:48 AM
thefarside
4th Gear
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
So, somewhat of an update, but really just a continuation. As I posted above, I did 4 red Koni shocks a few months back, and today I did new tires. Had Michelin Pilots that were down to the wear bars, and I didn't realize how hard they gotten. This morning, Discount Tires installed 4 new Conti DWS06 tires, and WOW, what a difference. With the Koni reds, the upgraded rear sway bar, and now new high quality tires, it really is getting dialed in. On the 20 mile drive home over some curvy secondary roads, she picks a line through the curves and firms up. Going straight, bumps that gave me a hard shudder before are now just a soft thump. Believe me, I know this road and I know every pothole, dip, joint, etc.

So far, I'm loving the Koni shocks, still low miles on them, we will see what happens down the road.
What a coincidence! I just got rid of a badly worn, and very noisy, set of A/S 3s, and replaced with the DWS 06s. Mostly pleased with them thus far.

Consider trying the RSB on its stiffest setting sooner rather than later

Consider getting a full alignment soon, just make sure all is well.

The Koni SASs are on my to-do list...

mountainhorse (04-14-2021)
Old 04-14-2021, 08:36 AM
leftfield6
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by thefarside
What a coincidence! I just got rid of a badly worn, and very noisy, set of A/S 3s, and replaced with the DWS 06s. Mostly pleased with them thus far.

Consider trying the RSB on its stiffest setting sooner rather than later

Consider getting a full alignment soon, just make sure all is well.

The Koni SASs are on my to-do list...
Yeah, I did not realize how noisy and hard the Pilot A/S 3's had gotten. Night and day with the new Conti DSW06 tires! I've had DSWs on a car before and loved them, so I was really happy they were available in the right size for the R55. I had an alignment done when the Koni shocks and the RSB was installed a few months ago.

Old 04-14-2021, 09:58 AM
crazy4trains
3rd Gear
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Interesting. I had a set of DWS06s on my 2002 530i and they were absolutely horrible. Could not be balanced and had constant vibrations. A set of Michelin A/S 3+ solved those issues.

Old 04-14-2021, 10:49 AM
mountainhorse
6th Gear
Received 316 Likes on 231 Posts
I’ve posted up a good discussion about the KONI FSD / Special-Active shocks if you’re interested

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ml#post4581943

Last edited by mountainhorse; 04-14-2021 at 12:50 PM.
thefarside (04-14-2021)
Old 04-14-2021, 12:20 PM
thefarside
4th Gear
Yeah, I did not realize how noisy and hard the Pilot A/S 3's had gotten. Night and day with the new Conti DSW06 tires! I've had DSWs on a car before and loved them, so I was really happy they were available in the right size for the R55. I had an alignment done when the Koni shocks and the RSB was installed a few months ago.
Still have the printout?

I'd be interested to see what the toe-in is front and rear

Old 04-14-2021, 12:28 PM
thefarside
4th Gear
Originally Posted by crazy4trains
Interesting. I had a set of DWS06s on my 2002 530i and they were absolutely horrible. Could not be balanced and had constant vibrations. A set of Michelin A/S 3+ solved those issues.
Sounds like you had a force variation issue - meaning the rolling resistance varies as the tire rolls. Only solution is to toss the tire. I had a set of AVS Intermediates on an E30 eons ago that were like that. Have not bought Yokohama tires since!

Worth noting - some combos of car and tires just seem to not work no matter what you do.

I ran a couple of sets of the DWSs on the E30, never had a whiff of a problem with them.

Quick Reply: R55 09 Clubman S: Time for Struts