R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Well...this happened...some insight would be great

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2021 | 04:03 PM
Lifegoesby
|
Neutral
Well...this happened...some insight would be great

2012 R55 fJCW

So about a month ago I was driving from San Diego to Las Vegas. About half way there I was watching my gauges on my OBD Fusion app and as I hit the gas going uphill my fuel pressure was hitting 1550ish PSI like normal then fell to 800 for about 3 seconds then jumped back up. About a min later...poof...I was a cylinder down. Ended up burning a valve on cylinder 3 . Well actually both exhaust valves. I had just gotten the car walnut blasted and it was running great.

Tore it all apart and had all the valves replaced using feredal mogal valves from outmotoring. They decked the head only .005 just to clean it up. New head gasket, head bolts, timing chain from ecs, all new injectors (because why not) new vamos solenoid, new pcv hard hose to intake and a new purge valve solenoid while I was at it. Oh and a new valve cover.

So after it was all back together, car runs great except it hard starts like crazy. But once it starts, it runs like new. As I have already had the hpfp replaced and know what a POS they are, I take it to the dealer to get it replaced again as I have a feeling it is what caused all the damage( ran to lean).

Ok this is where the WTH situation comes in. Doing the timing chain, I locked the flywheel and the cams as you should and replaced everything. The dealer is telling me that it "sounds" out of time and wants to pull the valve cover and adjust the timing. HUH? There is no ticking or power loss of any kind. They said that they ran a test and the Vamos sensor and the cam position sensor failed and that I need to have adaptations reset. That is fair I guess but they said that if the timing is off resetting the adaptations is pointless. How could the timing even be off? Let alone enough for someone to "hear it.". I know if it was stupid out of time, it would either not run or bend valves but it runs great once started. They also said that all of this timing stuff could cause the hard starts.....I call BS but please tell me if I am being a jerk on that. When I start the car, it cranks forever as it builds PSI on the rail then fires up. It's as if the Volume control solenoid on the hpfp has failed and is allowing fuel to drain back into the tank instead of holding it at the rail. The psi of the in tank pump is at 80-90 psi before it cranks.

Am I crazy on my thinking?

Old 04-17-2021 | 04:23 PM
emmodg
1st Gear
They can’t just pop the v cover off and “adjust timing” and it’s not a mechanical ignition that will “sound” out of time. If she was out of time you’d be hearing pistons and valves meeting each other - if it started at all. Certainly an out of time engine of any kind is hard to start but modern engines (interference) are much less tolerable of timing “issues”. I’m new to the MINI engines but I’m not sure they could survive being a “tooth or two” off. I’m wondering if your dealer is hearing a vacuum tick of some kind.... You say once she’s lit it runs well so I just can’t believe it’s timing. If there’s a VANOS issue I’d would think it would not run or idle well. So the car ran great until she smoked on you and then you replaced a bunch of stuff and it runs good but starts hard - I’d be looking at something other than timing I think. I think you’re on the right track with the fuel-idea

Old 04-17-2021 | 04:45 PM
Lifegoesby
|
Neutral
My thinking is that the hpfp went out or is going out and leaned out the mix so lean that exhaust temps spiked and burnt the valves. Who knows how long it was happening as I just happened to be looking at my guage at the time. As far as the timing goes, that's what I thought as well...no adjusting per se and you simply lock the flywheel and cams with the writing facing up and bolt the gears and chain on. The only thing that "adjusts" timing is the Vamos solenoid which was replaced. I guess resetting the adaptations would help but because the car starts fine after it has been running, the hpfp seems to be the only thing I can think of. I feel like they are trying to find something to blame other than the hpfp as that would lead them to having to pay me back for "consequential damage" from the hpfp being under extended warranty. ..........maybe I'm wrong

Old 01-12-2022 | 08:51 AM
H.Chi
1st Gear
Hard start

I corrected some other persons work on a 2012 R56 Cooper S recently. The other guys replaced the timing chain and guides. It was doing a long crank before it would start. He also has a check engine light. I recall inlet and outlet cam timing code coming up. (Timing off)
I helped them out and verified the mini’s timing was off. Replaced both cam bolts and crank bolts. New main seal and valve cover. Dropped pan to clear out and broken guides. New valve cover gasket and fresh oil. Fired it up and no check engine lights, but still had long cranks!!! I forgot to reset the adaptations. A quick reset and the mini fired up and the long starts we’re gone. Reset your adaptations if you know your timing is correct. You can just pull the valve cover and lock the cams and flywheel just to verify your timing is correct.

The following users liked this post:
thefarside (01-12-2022)