R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 How to split crank case?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2021, 07:31 PM
broxclubman
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to split crank case?

I’m trying to get the bearings checked and I can’t seem to get the crank case split how can I do this I got the two that were hidden on the side where the crank meets the transmission. And the others all the way around and it’s not bolted to the engine stand for the bottom half. But it still won’t separate how can I do this.

Old 10-19-2021, 09:22 PM
Nervos
2nd Gear
Received 55 Likes on 39 Posts
Are you trying to do it w/o removing engine and/or separating from the transmission?

Old 10-20-2021, 09:02 AM
broxclubman
Neutral
Originally Posted by Nervos
Are you trying to do it w/o removing engine and/or separating from the transmission?
it’s out of the car top off and just the short block remaining I removed the 2 bolts that were covered but I don’t know where to pry or what to do to get it apart it’s completely stuck together. But the top half of the crank case is bolted to a engine stand it’s upside down with pistons facing ground and crank up. So I look at the bottom of the engine at the top. And the bottom half isn’t bolted to the stand. I’ll take pictures later if need be

Old 10-21-2021, 11:34 AM
broxclubman
Neutral
Figured it out

I used a sharp putty knife to break the seal. I got it in half… glad I got it in two the bearings were bone dry and now I can put grease in and slap it back together and start the top half reassembly. The bearings looked brand spanking new. No wear

Old 10-21-2021, 02:20 PM
Nervos
2nd Gear
Received 55 Likes on 39 Posts
If they were dry then probably clearance between the bearing and crankshaft was wrong. Putting lube there won't last too long, it must be oiled by the motor oil and it should have room to get there. Is crankshaft rotating smoothly and easily?

The following users liked this post:
GothamNite (11-14-2023)
Old 10-21-2021, 04:40 PM
broxclubman
Neutral
Originally Posted by Nervos
If they were dry then probably clearance between the bearing and crankshaft was wrong. Putting lube there won't last too long, it must be oiled by the motor oil and it should have room to get there. Is crankshaft rotating smoothly and easily?

it is moving smoothly. But. I have rotated it several times since the initial tear down. Which was over a month ago. Sadly. A month ago. But yes several times I have roared it for various reasons besides making sure it was smooth. Without oil pump or other parts in place so I guess that’s why oil wasn’t applied with pressure to get into the small space in the bearings, every one of the bearings look good no wear so I’m going to apply the grease once the new bolts come in. And get this back together. I might test the clearance with plastic thing and see what it is.

I know I used oil on top of the pistons to clean the piston tops and rings to get the carbon out and that was about 5-10 roatations besides the others over the course of the month testing things. Checking things making sure things were ok.