R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 New Daily (2008 Clubman)

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2021, 08:23 AM
Nahuelsti
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Daily (2008 Clubman)

Just recently got a new daily. I've always wanted a clubman....for some reason I love how the back doors look compared to the hatch look :D
I've been wanting to buy a mini for a while and recently sold my indestructible Volvo and got one of these little guys. The only problem is that
mine is N/A with a cvt trans Now am really regretting this and should've gone with a stick option just like i wanted. Either way I do love the
car as its a fun little thing but since I cant do any motor mods, I decided to go with some exterior modifications. I guess this is my build thread
as change things on my car. First things first and simple, the side markers and turn signals. Second will definitely be the headlights as I cant see
a damn thing when I drive at night. Below is a video of me installing and changing the lights. Thanks for reading and watching, let me know what
you think.

Old 11-04-2021, 08:37 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,852 Likes on 1,476 Posts
Save the Clubbies!!!

Even with base engine and CVT transmission, you'll still have fun with it. I added those same side markers and turn repeaters, but one of my rear markers died a couple weeks ago. Need to get a new set...

Old 11-04-2021, 08:49 AM
cristo
Alliance Member
Received 210 Likes on 173 Posts
I don’t think any Clubmen have a CVT.
If auto, then it would be a conventional
Aisin transmission.

Old 11-04-2021, 08:54 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,852 Likes on 1,476 Posts
Originally Posted by cristo
I don’t think any Clubmen have a CVT.
If auto, then it would be a conventional
Aisin transmission.
Were the CVT transmissions only in the 1st gen cars?

Old 11-04-2021, 09:05 AM
RB-MINI
6th Gear
Received 506 Likes on 418 Posts
Only on the non-supercharged cars. The R52 S and R53 had Aisin autos.

Old 11-04-2021, 12:16 PM
Nahuelsti
Neutral
Interesting.... I always thought the 2nd gens had cvt trans because I have to say... these trans are horrible
Im over in jersey and getting on/off the highways this thing never wants to shift down and hold the higher rpms.
Is there any way to get a tune or something to have it learn to be a little more aggressive.

Old 11-04-2021, 12:19 PM
Nahuelsti
Neutral
Originally Posted by njaremka
Save the Clubbies!!!

Even with base engine and CVT transmission, you'll still have fun with it. I added those same side markers and turn repeaters, but one of my rear markers died a couple weeks ago. Need to get a new set...
yeah its for sure a fun little car. I just wish the trans wasnt so god awfully bad. I actually had one of my side markers just not work at all. I think the connection got cut or something.
I have to take the bumper off to really take a look but im not too crazy about doing that

Old 11-04-2021, 01:23 PM
RB-MINI
6th Gear
Received 506 Likes on 418 Posts
Originally Posted by Nahuelsti
Interesting.... I always thought the 2nd gens had cvt trans because I have to say... these trans are horrible
Im over in jersey and getting on/off the highways this thing never wants to shift down and hold the higher rpms.
Is there any way to get a tune or something to have it learn to be a little more aggressive.

The sport mode should hold the rpm’s longer.

I have an ‘05 and this is how the Aisin auto works in a 1st gen. In D it’s fully automatic, conservative and will upshift at lower RPM’s. Using the paddles or bumping the shifter will change the gear and hold it for about 10 seconds, or while under a load. If not under load like accelerating, the trans will automatically resume normal D full auto operation after a few seconds. The display in the gauge will go from D to whatever gear you’re in (ex. M5) then back to D

When moving the stick over to the sport mode, the trans will shift at higher RPM’s in full auto mode and the display will show SD. It will stay in full auto until a manual shift is performed, then the trans will stay in manual mode and only shift with the paddles/gear stick unless approaching redline, or when downshifts are needed when slowing down to prevent lugging the engine. At this point the display will always show the gear preceded by an M. Once you manually shift in sport mode, the only way to get back to fully automatic sport mode (SD) is to toggle the lever back over to regular, then back into sport.

Some other notes, the trans only automatically downshifts to, and starts in second gear in any mode. To start in first you have to manually downshift to first. Also, the computer is programmed to automatically shift up or down in any mode to help prevent damage to engine or transmission. This is what makes it hard to dyno an auto when tuning. You can’t get it to hold a gear because the trans will automatically shift near redline, even in sport manual mode.

One benefit the 2nd gen sport mode might have over the 1st gen is it supposedly changes the drive by wire response similar to using a throttle controller, and the power steering resistance. Not sure if this applies to both the S and non-S 2nd gens, but I’ve never seen anything posted regarding these settings for the 1st gen sport mode.