R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 When to say when?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2022 | 04:54 PM
Bazinga!
|
Neutral
When to say when?

Greetings- long time Mini fan, current owner of 2009 Clubman w/108K on it. I love this car, which I call Lazarus since it's come back from the dead several times. We had our first "real" Winter temps (20°) yesterday. Started car (no garage) it started fine but yellow check engine light appeared. Car was a bit sluggish going up hills (that he generally zooms up). Took it to Auto Zone for code check, where reader pulled a downstream 02 sensor error.
I texted this info to my very mechanically oriented brother who, (prior to moving 500+ miles away), did all my repairs on car (serpentine belt/water pump/all the usual Mini fixes). He replied:
"There are usually at least two oxygen sensors. One before the catalytic converter and another, the downstream, after the catalytic converter. The downstream sensor judges the destruction efficiency of the converter. So it could be a bad sensor or it could mean that the catalytic converter isn't performing properly (this would be my guess considering it's age) or both." . He attached a picture of a Davico converter price was appx $400. He said that The O2 sensors screw into the bungs above and below the round deal in the center. I'm not sure how much surgery this requires but it doesn't look pleasant"
Not what I wanted to hear of course, I have taken this car to a shop I trust, they can't look at car til next week. I drove it again today, no light, but still running a bit rough. I have noticed the car using more fuel recently, it does seep small
bit of oil, but nothing a quart every two months doesn't remedy.
The question I want to ask (not sure I want the answer) is it time to say goodbye to Lazarus?? I have enjoyed driving Min'is since 2004, know they are $$ to repair, really miss having brother nearby to give it TLC. I'm 58, semi retired & work a couple days a week, Lazarus gets driven between 7-10K since I've cut back work.

If it is time, what's the best way to sell him? Carmax/Dealer trade/private seller route? Realize it's a bad time to be buying a car due to market currently. Replacement cars I've been thinking about is Mazda CX3 or CX30 or Hyundai Kona (like it's funky look)

Appreciate any/all thoughts please.

Old 01-07-2022 | 07:39 PM
mike_miniman
1st Gear
Hi - 02 sensors are a maintenance item on the Minis, to be replaced at about 100k miles if I recall correctly. They are also pretty straightforward to change if you are a little bit mechanically inclined. For a total of about $280 + shipping from a reputable parts place (FCPEuro, for instance) you could change out both the upstream and downstream, and I suspect you will solve the issue. I would go that route before suspecting the cat.

Mike

Old 01-08-2022 | 05:14 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
When to say when? That question can only be answered by yourself. I perform all my own repairs and maintenance, so when something like this comes up, I can save the money from having to pay someone else. If you are not mechanically inclined to fix the car yourself, an old Mini probably isn’t the best car to be driving.

That being said, new O2 sensors are pretty easy to change out, but you will need a special wrench socket to remove them due to the wires. If the cat needs replacing, it can get a bit more complicated, but still not the worst job. I would change out the down stream O2 sensor, which is right under the engine in the front of the car, and see if the code stays away. If it comes back, change out the up stream sensor, which is at the front of the engine up to under the hood.

Old 01-11-2022 | 12:35 PM
thefarside
4th Gear
Not very likely the cat has called it quits, more likely it is the sensor.

What was the code?