R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Minor front bumper damage - Questions.

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2022, 10:16 AM
Hammer75
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Minor front bumper damage - Questions.

Hi,

I recently picked up a 2010 Clubman S. Dark Silver, mechanically sound. New timing chain, turbo etc. etc. Bought for our daughter as a first car, but is also Dad's stealth project

It has a little damage on the passenger side front, which I would like to get it fixed so it's cosmetically fine but without spending silly money. The car is straight, no alignment issues. There's a small piece broken off the top of the bumper cover, and a small piece broken off the solid black plastic part that the bumper cover would normally attach to. That means that the top of the bumper cover flaps about a little, and also means that the wheel arch trim is affected slightly. Questions :

1. Is that solid black plastic piece available ? Is it part of the headlight assembly, or available separately ? Part number ?
2. If I can get hold of one, is it an easy swap out once the headlight is removed, or are there lots of other pieces to remove in order to get to it ?
3. I may just resort to some sort of quick fix to hold the broken front cover on/up, rather than buying a new cover. Something as simple as drilling a couple of holes and using a cable tie or two or safety wire. Can anyone here think of a cheap solution ? It's all cosmetic and hidden once reassembled.
4. Does anyone have a front bumper cover that they might want to part with ? Car is Dark Silver, but it could be repainted.

There's a little damage to the front fender where the wheel arch trim clips in, but I think I can pull it out to get the clip holes in the right place. You can see in the photos where a cheap repair has already been done on both the headlight and that solid plastic part. maybe I could get a new (used) bixenon, but I'm trying to keep cost down here. I did a little glue pull on the fender yesterday, and it's got it almost in the right spot without much effort.

Small piece broken off both bumper cover and the solid black plastic mount.

Just need the bumper cover to be held up in place.

Slight crease in the fender caused the clip holes to move. Quick glue pull has got them almost right but not quite.

Photos attached. Thanks in advance for any help/advice.

Old 04-11-2022, 10:42 AM
Jason Cornelius
6th Gear
Received 576 Likes on 432 Posts
That solid black piece you are talking about is the core support. In order to replace it you have to pull bumper, lights, intercooler, crash bar, move the ac condenser out of the way, drain coolant and remove radiator, it is one giant piece that everything connects to. I just replaced mine so I know how much of a pita it can be.

https://www.outmotoring.com/front-pa...717147912.html here is a link to a new one, I got mine from a car that was getting parted out, had rear end damage. Mine came with a fan so I tested it with a drill battery before I purchased it, fan fired so I took it. The headlights can be a pain to get out, the 2 bottom screws tend to get stuck in their inserts, brass “nut” inside of a plastic slide in clip, I had to basically run my impact driver on high and burn those brass nuts out of the plastic, so make sure you have some of them handy, https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_In...hoCGtgQAvD_BwE

Old 04-11-2022, 10:57 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,852 Likes on 1,476 Posts
As Jason pointed out, it is the core support. Item #1 here:
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=51_9004

My suggestion is to become familiar with www.RealOEM.com That site is useful for finding part numbers, which can then be searched for pricing and availability.

Also, www.allmagautoparts.com is a good source for used OEM parts.

Old 04-11-2022, 10:58 AM
Jason Cornelius
6th Gear
Received 576 Likes on 432 Posts

I forgot you also have to remove the metal support that runs around the top of the engine, hood latches, and the release cable for the hood.

Old 04-11-2022, 02:23 PM
Hammer75
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Much appreciated, thanks. Not quite what I wanted to hear, but good to know. I will try to fashion some sort of brace/bracket on both sides to hold it up - JB Weld it in and then bolt it together. I'm not going to do the work to swap the core support out on a car that my daughter will probably ding up a bit in the next year or two. Would just like to get it looking OK for now.

If any one has a Dark Silver hood that they want to sell - I might be interested. This car has a couple of large scratches on the hood, running on both sides. Looks like maybe something fell forward off the roof, I don't know. Was trying to see if I could cover them up with striping, but they aren't quite in the right place for that. I could repaint the hood, but a salvage one in the right color would probably be better at the right price.