R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Airbag Code 93B1 (Head Airbag Front Passenger)

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2022, 03:23 PM
adfundum
Neutral
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Airbag Code 93B1 (Head Airbag Front Passenger)

My 2012 Mini Cooper Clubman S (R55) has the following code: 93B1 (Head Airbag Front Passenger). I have cleared the code and it comes back. The interesting thing is that it only comes back with a passenger and aggressive acceleration. I put my tester on it and entered live mode. The seat sensor correctly reads if a passenger is sitting or not. There is another live test that reads "Switch for front passenger deactivation" but that is always ON. My car doesn't have a disable switch on the passenger door or elsewhere that I know of but I thought that reading should be OFF as I don't want my passenger seat deactivated when occupied. I know I can get the ebay thing to get it to go away but I prefer to fix things right. I took out the headliner and inspected the connectors to the Head side curtain and the wires themselves but cannot see any frays or anything near the B-Pillar or elsewhere. I took out the passenger seat and the sensor wires seem solid with a good connection.

I was thinking my next step would be to buy a new Right Side Head Airbag unit but inquiring if anyone has other ideas to test first or if there is a way to test the unit thru a resistance test? I was going to go that route first as the trouble code says Head Airbag and the seat sensor is correctly registering a passenger.

Old 06-10-2022, 06:19 AM
adfundum
Neutral
Update #1

I don't believe the seat sensor is at fault as I thoroughly tested it and it registers when someone is there or not or if there is light pressure (Under 70# the airbag off head unit lamp goes on). I reset the code again, clipped the feed wires to both Drivers and Passenger Airbag head units and switched the feed so the passenger side now fed the drivers side airbag and vice versa. After a wile I got the same code of 93B1 saying Head Passenger Airbag. This leads me to believe it is a wire issue as if the passenger airbag was truly bad then I should have got a Drivers side airbag error as that is where it was fed from. I am going to go as far back on the wiring as I can and run a new wire to the head unit. This is based on the assumption that the code identification is based on where the feed is plugged into and not that the airbag units themselves register. Any other ideas would be appreciated.

Old 06-23-2022, 10:11 AM
adfundum
Neutral
Update: Replaced Air Bag

So I purchased a used passenger side airbag with harness. Disconnected mine and plugged this one in. Reset the code. Still the same code of 93B1. Could the main airbag module be bad? The code keeps saying passenger head airbag but I find it highly unlikely two of them are broken. Any advice?

Old 07-27-2022, 04:44 PM
Trestos
1st Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sorry for bumping your thread, but at the moment I have the same issue, too but on a 08 Clubman S.
Deleting only helps for some hours/days.
Sometime the error occurs on driving and sometimes even just getting into the car too... it just happens randomly.
Battery is just 6 months old and is the same size as before (70ah AGM) and was registered using Bimmerlink. Car came back from work shop, after I had boost issues, they replaced the turbo and cat (switched from stock to 200cel) and immediately got two new errors.​​​​​​​Throttle body (fixed after replacing it) and now 93B1 Head Airbag Passanger Side (According to DeepOBD: short to ground) ... Everything else is fine.

Is there a way to check what or where exactly the issue here is?
Any grounds or fuses to check for the airbag?
Maybe something got loose while replacing the turbo?

​​​​​​​Before I only had boost issues and nothing electrical / airbag related.

Old 07-28-2022, 06:28 AM
adfundum
Neutral
As an update I continually get the error code 93B1 (Head Airbag Front Passenger) after I reset. Sometimes it comes back immediately other times it may take 30 minutes of driving. In chasing this I have removed the headliner, bought a used RH Head Airbag on Ebay - Same Error. Replaced wiring from airbag to RH Pillar to see if there was a short as I saw that in a TSB - Same Error. Replaced the Air Restraint Bag Sensor Control Module with a used one - Same Error. Removed seat cushion, opened up cover and looked at seat mat sensor, showed no visible damage. Bought Airbag passenger seat occupancy mat sensor bypass, installed - Same Error. At this point I think it may be a short to ground in the wiring harness and I will follow the Blue and Blue/White RH Head Airbag Wires from Right Pillar to where they terminate under the dash.

Old 07-30-2022, 02:29 PM
Trestos
1st Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
So far nothing..

I read somewhere, that one of the cables go around/inside the passenger seat (especially around the moving / joint part for the backrest of the seat)
Can someone confirm this?
maybe the cable or the isolation of it is broken and we just need to fix it.
I even think, changing the backrest of the passenger seat lowered the frequency of the errors for me.
If I should find something, I will keep this thread updated.
​​​​​​

Old 08-01-2022, 08:55 AM
adfundum
Neutral
STILL AN ISSUE BUT UPDATE ON WHAT I HAVE TRIEDCleared the code and it comes back randomly, sometimes immediately and sometimes only after driving a bit.

Put my tester on it and entered live mode. The seat sensor correctly reads if a passenger is sitting or not.

Took out the headliner and inspected the connectors to the Head side curtain and the wires themselves but cannot see any frays or anything near the B-Pillar or elsewhere. I took out the passenger seat and the sensor wires seem solid with a good connection.

Removed the headliner, bought a used RH Passenger Head Airbag and installed – Cleared and Same Code. Replaced the original.

I saw a TSB (SI-M-65-10-08) that there was possibly a short in the wiring at the sunroof so I replaced the Blue and Blue/White Wiring feed to the RH Head Airbag back to the RH B-Pillar – Cleared and Same Code came back.

Replaced the Air Restraint Bag Sensor Control Module with a used one - Cleared and Same Code came back. I replaced the original.

Removed seat cushion, opened up seat cover and visually inspected seat mat sensor, showed no visible damage. Reinstalled.

Bought Airbag passenger seat occupancy mat sensor bypass, installed - Cleared and Same Code came back. Removed and reconnected original.

FURTHER TROUBLESHOOTING THOUGHTS:
  • At this point I think it may be a short to ground in the wiring harness and I will follow the Blue and Blue/White RH Head Airbag Wires from RH B-Pillar to where they terminate under the dash and put a new wire from there to my connection point at the RH B-Pillar.
  • I read most airbag warning light faults are due to a momentary bad connection to the seat airbag wiring harness when a seat is moved/adjusted, therefore storing a fault code and triggering the warning light.
    • Recommendation - If the light keeps coming back on and indicates it is the RH or LH seat airbag wiring harness then it is necessary to solder up the faulty seat harness yellow connections or replace/repair the wiring harness / connectors as required
  • I read possible corrosion in the grounds near the passenger side fuse block and chassis grounds
  • Battery Safety Terminal (BST)

The following users liked this post:
all78p (05-17-2023)