R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Barn door keeps popping open

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2022 | 04:33 PM
kingbc
|
2nd Gear
Barn door keeps popping open

Hi - I did a poor job of replacing the windshield cowls apparently and the result was water getting in to the cabin and the horn blasting endlessly. I now have it dried out and the horn is no longer firing off but the barn door keeps popping open. It's acting like I either have the key fob button pushed or the keyh is in the cabin. Neither are the case. Any ideas on where to start?

Thank you!

Old 06-23-2022 | 05:50 PM
veggivet
6th Gear
First things first! Round up all the horses that got out before you attempt a fix on the cowling!😉

Old 06-23-2022 | 07:56 PM
kingbc
|
2nd Gear
Ok. Horses rounded up. Any ideas on where in the fuse panel or under dash I need to be looking for issues?

Old 07-07-2022 | 05:55 AM
sp_clark
3rd Gear
May not be fuse panel issue, more likely something with the CAN BUS box above it. There's one on both sides of the footwell, behind the plastic panels.

Water INSIDE a MINI is not something you want.

Ever.

My '13 R55 suffered a sunroof drain port leak while parked outside early in 2020 during a toadstrangler. Found out after an hour's drive, back door intermittently unlatching by itself after I'd braked slightly.

Water was sloshing forward in passenger footwell, my first evidence of The Problem.

Two weeks later, after a trip to 'local' MINI dealer 100 miles distant, the carpeting had been replaced (risk of mold growth according to dealer tech), corrosion on that CB box's connectors had been remediated, and the drain hose reconnected in a (hopefully) more robust manner than factory'd managed.

My comprehensive coverage picked up everything but the original drain leak fix or I'dabeen out close to $3 Large for the visit.

Two weeks later water again in passenger well.

This time it was the passenger door seals that'd dried out & cracked (MINI ~ 8 years old at the time) so yet another return to dealer for diagnosis & repair, $400 bill for that trip.

If your lucky it may just be the wire connectors at that box, or elsewhere. If water got into the box your fix may be more elusive, to say nothing of the expense.

Old 07-07-2022 | 10:33 AM
kingbc
|
2nd Gear
I lucked out I guess. I put a space heater in the footwell and baked the inside of the car for a few days and all is right in the world again.

Old 07-21-2022 | 08:21 AM
sp_clark
3rd Gear
I tried a dehumidifier for a couple of days after first discovering the leakage but then after pondering just how so much water might have gotten where it wasn't supposed to be it seemed worth the effort to get the leak diagnosed then fixed.

Otherwise the now-evident water would soon be joined by more of its kind, have more opportunity to wreak further havoc over time on what I hope I can continue to drive until this pitiful thing we call an 'economy' can get back onto its feet.