R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Is it a head gasket problem?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2022 | 08:14 PM
Semper Fi Huck
|
1st Gear
Is it a head gasket problem?

I need help getting my 2012 S Clubman back to life. About 3 years ago my wife messed up the lower radiator hose and overheated it two different times. After the first time she with the guidance of my dad installed a new hose (wrong) and used it for a few weeks before it leaked again. I was at truck driver school getting my Class A CDL at the time. After the second time I told her just to leave it and I would fix it when I got home. The car would start and run just fine, but since there was no coolant I never let it run for more than a few seconds. I installed another hose filled up the the coolant and cranked it up to bleed the system. After I shut it down to put more coolant in I could not get it to start and I discovered that it was pressurizing the cooling system. I checked the spark plugs and the oil and there was no water in the oil. I drained the coolant and the car started right up again. The coolant never got into the oil, but anytime I tried to crank the engine when I had coolant in it the car wouldn’t start and it would always pressurize the cooling system. I’m pretty sure it is a head gasket problem, but is there anything else that it could be that I should check before pulling off the head? I’m finally in a place where I can work on this car and I’m excited about driving it again, but I don’t want to just throw money away for nothing if there could be an easier/cheaper fix. I will do the work myself I’m a retired Marine Corps Huey & Cobra helicopter mechanic, so I can handle the job I just need some guidance on the troubleshooting aspect of this issue.