R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 New to me 08 Clubman R55

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2024, 01:13 PM
mike2246
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New to me 08 Clubman R55

Just got it and going to be doing all the normal Tune-up stuff along with Brakes/Shocks. Is there a recommended Shock/Strut that's easy to install? looking for a bolt-on so I don't have to remove springs. I've seen recommendations for the Koni and Bilsteins but they don't look like they come with the springs installed.

If I'm swapping Shock/Struts should I do sway bars or anything else while apart?

Besides Spark Plugs/Ignition Coils/Oil/Coolant/Differential should anything else be done at 100k Miles?

Thanks

Old 08-14-2024, 06:01 PM
spaktacular
2nd Gear
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
R55 maintenance

Welcome aboard! I love the R55, it's my favorite of the Gen II cars, followed closely by the R58 Coupe.

MINIs utilize Macpherson struts on all wheels. The only way to avoid having to disassemble the strut units (with use of a spring compressor) is to buy 'quick struts' - complete, assembled units with springs, bumps, and bearings. Like this:

Amazon Amazon

Generally, while these make installation easier, the quality of the replacement parts are not as good as OE. When I replaced my struts, I installed Bilsteins - their B4 series, which is designed to match the OE damping rate, height, and quality. I've had them in the car for about 20,000 miles, and I'm very happy with them.

Be sure to buy the sway bar end links before you start the job. They wear out quickly, must be removed from the strut assembly as part of the repair, and often it's necessary to cut or destroy them in the removal process, as the fasteners can rust and won't come loose.

Good luck!

Old 08-14-2024, 06:33 PM
JAMADOR
2nd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I searched for a R55 before ending up with my freebie R57.
Barely missed out on a really nicely speced R55S.

Still working on getting the R57 roadworthy, then on to general maintenance items.

The following users liked this post:
spaktacular (08-14-2024)
Old 08-14-2024, 08:02 PM
mike2246
Neutral
Originally Posted by spaktacular
Welcome aboard! I love the R55, it's my favorite of the Gen II cars, followed closely by the R58 Coupe.

MINIs utilize Macpherson struts on all wheels. The only way to avoid having to disassemble the strut units (with use of a spring compressor) is to buy 'quick struts' - complete, assembled units with springs, bumps, and bearings. Like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Asse...11+Mini+Cooper

Generally, while these make installation easier, the quality of the replacement parts are not as good as OE. When I replaced my struts, I installed Bilsteins - their B4 series, which is designed to match the OE damping rate, height, and quality. I've had them in the car for about 20,000 miles, and I'm very happy with them.

Be sure to buy the sway bar end links before you start the job. They wear out quickly, must be removed from the strut assembly as part of the repair, and often it's necessary to cut or destroy them in the removal process, as the fasteners can rust and won't come loose.

Good luck!
thanks, the B4s say this on website
Mini R55 All submodels without sport suspension

My build sheet says Sport Package and Sport Suspension under that.
Would that change anything or would either option work. This will be wifes daily driver so mainly looking for comfort with crappy Michigan roads. And other than sway bars should anything else be replaced before i start the job.

Old 08-15-2024, 05:23 AM
spaktacular
2nd Gear
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by mike2246
thanks, the B4s say this on website
Mini R55 All submodels without sport suspension

My build sheet says Sport Package and Sport Suspension under that.
Would that change anything or would either option work. This will be wifes daily driver so mainly looking for comfort with crappy Michigan roads. And other than sway bars should anything else be replaced before i start the job.
If you have sport suspension, you'll need struts made to replace those if you're using the original spring set. The struts, springs, and sway bars differ between standard, sport, and JCW.

FWIW, I don't know that you'll need to replace the sway bars - especially if you're not looking for a stiffer, sharper ride/cornering. The cars handle extremely well with stock components. I'd probably just replace the bushings.

Old 08-15-2024, 06:21 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,833 Likes on 1,461 Posts
What is your budget? What is your long term goal for the car? If you only plan on keeping the car for another year or two, I wouldn't suggest going with higher end components.

It really isn't too bad to dismantle the struts / shocks and reuse components, especially when compared to the difficulty level of removing everything. Once the shocks are out, add another 10 minutes or so with a decent spring compressor to dismantle and get the springs off. What you spend for a spring compressor tool will be offset by what you save from buying assembled units. Also, I have heard horror stories of persons being sold wrong assemblies and having to do the job twice.

The following users liked this post:
spaktacular (08-15-2024)
Old 08-16-2024, 12:51 PM
mike2246
Neutral
Originally Posted by njaremka
What is your budget? What is your long term goal for the car? If you only plan on keeping the car for another year or two, I wouldn't suggest going with higher end components.

It really isn't too bad to dismantle the struts / shocks and reuse components, especially when compared to the difficulty level of removing everything. Once the shocks are out, add another 10 minutes or so with a decent spring compressor to dismantle and get the springs off. What you spend for a spring compressor tool will be offset by what you save from buying assembled units. Also, I have heard horror stories of persons being sold wrong assemblies and having to do the job twice.
budget, prefer under 6-800 for all 4
goal ride comfort, it's not an S so not looking for racing

If you could please link a recommendation for shocks and springs. I've swapped several before but always pre assembled. I'll try the compressor.