R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Oil splattering from dipstick tube?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2024, 10:49 AM
shawner47
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Oil splattering from dipstick tube?

So... To begin... 2012 R55S N18 Turbo - 125k miles, Atlanta, Georgia area.. A month or so ago I replaced the valve cover and gasket due to some seeping oil around the valve cover. There had been no problems until this weekend when I replaced the stock piping with M7 silicone pipes (hot-side turbo, cold side elbows and intake tube). After replacing those and doing some test drives, I have noticed that there is some oil splattering onto the hood from what looks like the dipstick tube. There is no oil around the valve cover that I can see, thought there are a few drops on top from what I assume to be dripping off of the hood. I saw a little oil on the dipstick handle, and some around the dipstick tube where it goes into the block, so I'm thinking too much internal pressure. We're not talking a lot of oil here, but it is also not something that I want to ignore. The car runs great, no codes, no dripping fluids... The only concern is that damned oil. So now comes my questions. Could the PCV in the new valve cover be bad and causing the problem now that I have new/better turbo piping? Can that PCV be checked/tested? If it is bad, is my only option to replace the entire valve cover again or is there another trick/method/workaround out there? If it is NOT the PCV, what could it be? Rings? Any thoughts as to why it reared its ugly head only after changing the pipes?

I will try to get pics of the engine bay and add them here later.

Help me Obi Wan Kenobis, your my only hope...

Old 08-26-2024, 11:46 AM
Maybe, maybe not
4th Gear
Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by shawner47
Could the PCV in the new valve cover be bad...?
This^ is a very reasonable idea to pursue. High crankcase pressure would be a symptom of a stuck closed PCV. If you remove the oil fill cap with the engine running and cover the hole with your hand, do you feel an unusually strong outward pressure?

Old 08-27-2024, 06:57 AM
shawner47
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Maybe, maybe not
This^ is a very reasonable idea to pursue. High crankcase pressure would be a symptom of a stuck closed PCV. If you remove the oil fill cap with the engine running and cover the hole with your hand, do you feel an unusually strong outward pressure?
This is my fear. I know it isn't a tough job, but I didn't want to have to replace the valve cover already. Is there an easy way to test the PCV on these or is it just replace and hope?

I haven't had a chance to get out and check the pressure at the oil filler cap, but I'm not sure I'll notice anything as it only seems to happen when I am running it hard and doing hard pulls. Driving normally I do not get the splatter. I'll try to test this evening if I can and report back.

Old 08-27-2024, 09:12 AM
Maybe, maybe not
4th Gear
Originally Posted by shawner47
This is my fear. I know it isn't a tough job, but I didn't want to have to replace the valve cover already.
Replacing the entire valve cover is recommended but you can also replace just the PCV diaphragm.

Is there an easy way to test the PCV on these or is it just replace and hope?
You can also remove the coil cover and look for oil leakage there. If you find oil under the cover and/or in a nearby spark plug tube, try replacing the PCV diaphragm and then go from there.

If replacing the PCV diaphragm does not solve the issue, then look into the possibility that the piston rings are worn.

Old 08-27-2024, 11:11 AM
shawner47
1st Gear
I appreciate the advice. I don't see any oil anywhere except for the dipstick and tube and on the hood. See attached images.
The first pic, circles show where I've seen the oil on the hood and where it lines up with the dipstick.
The second shows where I have seen oil (arrows) around the dipstick.
The third shows the result of a quick test drive yesterday with some WOT. This is much less than previous runs and I verified that the oil was full. So, I'm just not sure...

Oil found in the circle on the hood. Oil found on the dipstick and a few drops around it in the lower circle.

Oil seen in the area of the arrows.

Slight splatter of oil after a quick hard run.

I've ordered a new valve cover and will RMA the one I just put on. If that doesn't resolve the problem, well, I'll burn that bridge when I come to it. LOL

Old 08-27-2024, 11:23 AM
Maybe, maybe not
4th Gear
Have you tried replacing the oil dipstick O-ring?

Can I assume that you removed the coil cover and looked for oil there too?

Old 08-27-2024, 11:31 AM
shawner47
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Maybe, maybe not
Have you tried replacing the oil dipstick O-ring?

Can I assume that you removed the coil cover and looked for oil there too?
I have not replaced the o-rings on the dipstick yet. It is an aftermarket like the Cravenspeed (I can't remember if it is NM or M7 but I have the CS one as well I can test with).

I have removed the coil cover, yes, and there is no oil under it or inside the spark plug wells.

Old 08-27-2024, 02:07 PM
shawner47
1st Gear
I think it was the dipstick... also feeling a little foolish (like a dipstick?) for not trying one of the spares I have earlier. Anyway, I put the CravenSpeed dipstick back in just now and took it out on a little run to pick up my youngest from school. No oil splattered anywhere, even after some hard pulls. Obviously that is a small sample size, so I will test more, but I will keep my fingers crossed.

Thanks @Maybe, maybe not for opening my eyes!

The following users liked this post:
Maybe, maybe not (08-27-2024)