R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Turned on my sport button today. Whoooaaa!!! What a difference!

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 10:52 AM
flav
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turned on my sport button today. Whoooaaa!!! What a difference!

I am 800+ miles into breaking in my MCS and turned on my sport button today. whoooaaa!!! what a difference. seriously the car drives like a whole different car, its crazy fast and responsive. much much more than it was without the button pressed. i love it!!! it might be the best feature of the R56!! my 2004 MCS could have used a button like this. i find the car with sport "off" drives like my 2004 MCS, but with it on it drives more like my former audi TT or dare i say close to my former nissan 350Z.

Old 05-03-2007, 10:54 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The sport button is your friend!!!

Old 05-03-2007, 11:01 AM
flav
5th Gear
not that im suggesting it, but this could easily be an option that people would pay for. in fact i would pay $500 if that was the only way to get this option. its that good!!

Old 05-03-2007, 12:23 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Originally Posted by flav
i would pay $500 if that was the only way to get this option. its that good!!
I agree. I'm hoping to save Sport Mode for the weekend and do w/o during my short commutes during the week. We'll see how that goes!

Old 05-03-2007, 12:28 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 104 Likes on 83 Posts
It really changes the steering play for me, not just the throttle responsiveness. I'd surely pay for it as an option.

Old 05-03-2007, 12:35 PM
ygblat
4th Gear
SHHHHHH!!! Don't give them any ideas!

Old 05-03-2007, 12:57 PM
r56mini
6th Gear
Will it drop the fuel mileage? To be able to claim 36mpg, they have to make it a standard feature that could be turned on and off...

Old 05-03-2007, 02:36 PM
MalteseFalcn
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Break in period?

I'm not real clear, should I use the sport button early during the break in period, or not?

Old 05-03-2007, 02:45 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I feel that it makes the shifting smoother 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd. Is it my imagination?

Old 05-03-2007, 02:49 PM
jmelrose
5th Gear
Maltese,

My MA told me to "just drive the car" during the break-in. He said the only thing you defnitely don't want to do is use the cruise control and let it sit at a certain number of RPMs for an extended period.

I told him I went over 4500 the day after I got the car and he said, "Don't worry about it. Really... just drive the car. The ones who baby it and have some scheme as to the perfect way to break the car in are the ones who tend to have more of the problems. It's a performance car. Treat it as such."

I like my MA.

Old 05-03-2007, 02:57 PM
z3bum
5th Gear
It is fine to use the sport button during break-in, I've been using mine since day one. (Dealer said it was fine too) Here is what I think it does...

The obvious bits
- changes steering ratio to make the steering feel more responsive
- Improves throttle response with changes to turbo, reaction to pedal position, etc
- Greatly improves acceleration in first gear from a dead stop
- Engine winds up faster and more freely
- Changes ASC (not as obvious, but I feel like the ASC effects are reduced in sport mode, allowing a little wheel spin, vs none)

Not so obvious
- Selects sport fuel map (I am truly guessing on this one, but throughout the rpm range the engine definitely runs differently in sport mode, so it seems reasonable)
- changes variable valve timing to more aggressive settings (see above)

The overall effect... yeah, it is cool. One caviet... you really, really need the highest octane fuel you can find, especially in hot, humid climates. If I am right about the fuel map selection, the sporty, more aggressive maps definitely will make the engine ping with cheap, lower octane (less than 92) fuel.

Enjoy the sport button, it is great, great fun!

Old 05-03-2007, 03:07 PM
MiniMoMir
2nd Gear
I drive mostly L.A. city traffic, and have been getting about 28-29 mpg (computer's reading) in my MCS six speed, always using the Sport button. I decided I'd try driving a full tank of gas without the button to see how the gas mileage changes, but after two days I'm already starting to go through "Sport Button Withdrawal." It's just WAY too much fun with it on.

Old 05-03-2007, 04:06 PM
snapper
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does it tighten up the suspension?

Old 05-03-2007, 05:03 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 104 Likes on 83 Posts
Originally Posted by snapper
Does it tighten up the suspension?
No, doesn't affect the suspension at all, just throttle and steering.

Old 05-04-2007, 07:00 AM
inomis
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Here is what I understand the sport button does on manual cars.

For both throttle curves, points zero and 100 % are the same but sport mode moves the other points on the curve closer to zero, hence the car feels faster with less of your right foot. There are no BMW claims or timed tests to prove it does anything to the engine power etc.

With the steering it increases the weight at speed and maybe the ratio though I have seen no tests to show the ratio is changed. I think MINI just refers to it as feel.

Old 05-04-2007, 07:44 AM
atanaka749
1st Gear
I just reached the break-in point on my new R56 and that sport button is staring at me right in my face...was just wondering if it's OK to use it with the auto transmission...or is it only for manuals...any info appreciated!

Old 05-04-2007, 07:46 AM
Melor
2nd Gear
I can't believe you waited 800 miles to test that button. I hit it on the drive home from the dealership as I was having a hard time launching the car from a stop in first gear! Now that I am used to the car, I have no problems at launch, but it certainly is easier with the sport button on.

Contrary to some of the posts on this thread, I think the only thing the button does is alter the rate the throttle opens on the motor relative to the percent you press on the gas pedal. This makes the car FEEL faster, but not actually faster. I have played around with the steering and don't notice a difference in wheel-feel, but this was on the road and not on a slalom course or anything like that.

Originally Posted by flav
I am 800+ miles into breaking in my MCS and turned on my sport button today. whoooaaa!!! what a difference. seriously the car drives like a whole different car, its crazy fast and responsive. much much more than it was without the button pressed. i love it!!! it might be the best feature of the R56!! my 2004 MCS could have used a button like this. i find the car with sport "off" drives like my 2004 MCS, but with it on it drives more like my former audi TT or dare i say close to my former nissan 350Z.

Old 05-04-2007, 07:54 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Originally Posted by inomis
sport mode moves the other points on the curve closer to zero, hence the car feels faster with less of your right foot.
Do you think this could lead to lesser fuel-use economy? Given the famous egg-under-the-pedal approach to economy driving, non-sport might yield slightly better mpg than sport?

Old 05-04-2007, 08:26 AM
inomis
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by gokartride
Do you think this could lead to lesser fuel-use economy? Given the famous egg-under-the-pedal approach to economy driving, non-sport might yield slightly better mpg than sport?
I think you get more precise throttling with the non-sport mode. I think a milage "eggspert" would prefer it and be able to do a bit better with it.

Old 05-04-2007, 08:40 AM
flav
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Melor
I can't believe you waited 800 miles to test that button. I hit it on the drive home from the dealership as I was having a hard time launching the car from a stop in first gear! Now that I am used to the car, I have no problems at launch, but it certainly is easier with the sport button on.

Contrary to some of the posts on this thread, I think the only thing the button does is alter the rate the throttle opens on the motor relative to the percent you press on the gas pedal. This makes the car FEEL faster, but not actually faster. I have played around with the steering and don't notice a difference in wheel-feel, but this was on the road and not on a slalom course or anything like that.
i did wait. there are another 199,000 miles left to use the sport button and launch the car from a stop. i like to break in according to BMW. also the sport button really tightens the steering. the change is very dramatic.

Old 05-04-2007, 08:43 AM
mufflethis
4th Gear

Last edited by mufflethis; 02-04-2008 at 03:10 AM.
Old 05-04-2007, 01:23 PM
Rennie
4th Gear
Originally Posted by mufflethis
I never saw anything about MINI recommending not using the sport button. Just to stay under 4500RPM and under 100mph.
You're right. MINI has never said anything about not using the sport button during break in. I don't know how people have gotten this idea in their heads that you shouldn't use it. I have an automatic and my MA had me use the sport button the first day. I even questioned him about it. YOU CAN USE YOUR SPORT BUTTON FROM DAY ONE FOR AUTOMATICS AND MANUALS! Sorry for yelling, but I've posted this on many threads...I got a little carried away this time. It's okay to use your sport button when you drive home from picking up your MINI.

Old 05-04-2007, 02:59 PM
CUTiger3
3rd Gear
I never saw anything about MINI recommending not using the sport button. Just to stay under 4500RPM and under 100mph.
Yep, that's what my MA told me too. As a matter of fact, if it wasn't for the 'Sport' button

Old 05-04-2007, 06:23 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
I guess those not using "sport mode" (who, btw, obviously have supreme self-control) can now hit that button!!!!!

I confess I worry about wearing the label off that button, given the number of times I plan to "engage!!!" That would look tacky....any ideas???

Old 05-04-2007, 07:03 PM
at7815
3rd Gear
I never saw anything about MINI recommending not using the sport button.
I specifically asked my MA when I took delivery and he said to use it as soon as I drove off if I liked so no probs w/ break-in.

Quick Reply: R56 Turned on my sport button today. Whoooaaa!!! What a difference!