R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Advice on taking delivery

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 06:24 AM
rooandren
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice on taking delivery

I've look and there hasn't been a dedicated thread on this in 2007+ in at least six weeks, so I hope you don't find this too repetitive.

There's a nice general list here from two years ago here
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...elivery+advice

Now that lots of people have taken delivery of the R56, any more advice or things you wish you had done/asked at delivery? I know the "secret compartment" should supposedly be there now. And of course don't forget to check that all of your options are actually there!!! Thanks so much!

Old 05-04-2007, 06:43 AM
Rennie
4th Gear
A lot of people including myself have had a problem with the gas tow cap, in my case, it was the rear cap. It was fine at delivery, but after driving about 15 miles, it fell out and was hanging by its tether. A driver behind me pulled up next to me to let me know. I pulled over and put the cap back in, but it fell out again as I was driving. I called my MA when I got home and he said that that's an issue they've been having with the R56's and that they have to put an adhesive on the cap to keep it from falling out. I used my own, a resusable adhesive called "Handi-Tak" which has worked. Some people on this board suggested silicone. Anyway, check out both tow covers and if they wobble, have your MA adhere them better because they will fall out on your drive home. This issue may have been addressed by MINI as I picked my car up March 26.

Old 05-04-2007, 12:03 PM
dbhouston
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Rennie
A lot of people including myself have had a problem with the gas tow cap, in my case, it was the rear cap. It was fine at delivery, but after driving about 15 miles, it fell out and was hanging by its tether. A driver behind me pulled up next to me to let me know. I pulled over and put the cap back in, but it fell out again as I was driving. I called my MA when I got home and he said that that's an issue they've been having with the R56's and that they have to put an adhesive on the cap to keep it from falling out. I used my own, a resusable adhesive called "Handi-Tak" which has worked. Some people on this board suggested silicone. Anyway, check out both tow covers and if they wobble, have your MA adhere them better because they will fall out on your drive home. This issue may have been addressed by MINI as I picked my car up March 26.
My dealer did order a replacement item, painted it red to match my car and installed it in about 2 minutes. No problems since then.

Old 05-04-2007, 12:20 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
There have been a couple posts about this. They need to be consolidated and made into a sticky.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=92420

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=97325

Not sure it is in either of those, but I've added to my list:

Make sure Voice Recognition is working on the NAV.

Warn the dealer ahead of time not to drill the front bumper for a license plate. Use "No Holes" License Plate Bracket from GoMiniGo.com http://gominigo.com/18545.html

Old 05-04-2007, 12:22 PM
Skuzzy
OVERDRIVE
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My advice: Tell them you are not taking it until Skuzzy gets his car.

Old 05-04-2007, 12:26 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Skuzzy,
I talked to MINIUSA today. They mentioned that you are never getting your car because you have complained too much.

Old 05-04-2007, 12:43 PM
rooandren
6th Gear
Thanks so much Robin, I missed those (and everyone else!) I was pretty out of it this morning.

I support the cause Skuzz, but I don't know if I'm that invested.

Last edited by rooandren; 05-04-2007 at 12:44 PM. Reason: spread the love
Old 05-04-2007, 01:13 PM
Skuzzy
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by Robin Casady
Skuzzy,
I talked to MINIUSA today. They mentioned that you are never getting your car because you have complained too much.
Moi' complain?

If anything they are terrified of the graduates of SSOW getting turned loose on them. Oh yes, they shall deliver my car. Yes, they shall.

Well rooadnren, I thank you for yer support and really do not understand why you would not use this oppertunity to help me get my car. Did I not make it clear I am self-absorbed?

Old 05-04-2007, 01:17 PM
tigwantstoplay
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Robin Casady
Skuzzy,

Actually, MINIUSA is misinformed. Skuzy doesn't complain, he whines.

Whining is what occurs while you're waiting for your MINI. Complaining is what occurs after you take delivery (sometimes).

Old 05-04-2007, 01:31 PM
Skuzzy
OVERDRIVE
There ya go tig.

Old 05-04-2007, 04:13 PM
GregW
1st Gear
If you got bonnet stripes, examine the stripes closely for water spots. Mine had spots, and I thought they would come off when I washed the car, so I didn't bother to mention it to the dealer. But last weekend I washed it, and the spots wouldn't come out. I'll try vinegar or polish next.

Old 05-04-2007, 05:12 PM
JohnnyF
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Skuzzy
Moi' complain?

If anything they are terrified of the graduates of SSOW getting turned loose on them. Oh yes, they shall deliver my car. Yes, they shall.
I'm on standby awaiting orders from the master.