R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 2008 MC/MCS -- What Changes Would You Like?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 10:31 AM
rooandren
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Now how could this have not been said yet? Upgrade the cheap plastic throughout the center stack! Maybe even as an option, how could they go wrong charging $150 for parts that cost $7 more?

Old 05-10-2007, 10:32 AM
Abaco
1st Gear
Two things:

1) Eliminate the stand alone on/off/volume control
2) Change the MPG calculation to average MPG over 15 to 30 second time period.

The instantaneous MPG calculation is worthless data.

Old 05-10-2007, 10:36 AM
Dr. Pepper
4th Gear
I'd get rid of those grotesque chromewing/thing side turn signals, replace them with something flush with the body. I'd also center the headlights more on the fenders. As they are now the car looks wall-eyed.

Old 05-10-2007, 11:18 AM
surfblue
4th Gear
STRIP IT!!

I'd like a totally stripped down car with as little electronics as possible right down to roll up (or let's go total retro and get sliding windows hah hah) windows. A real basic model with no sunroof, no nuthin but a performance base MCS. Call it the MCS "Super Cooper".

Old 05-10-2007, 11:18 AM
dchautin
3rd Gear
hard top convertible..now that would be cool..

Old 05-10-2007, 11:40 AM
DR61
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Get the Cooper D engine certified in all 50 US states and bring in in.

Old 05-10-2007, 11:43 AM
RoadRacer
1st Gear
1) Use a better undercoating than the cosmoline (or whatever they call it) sprayed inside the front hood voids; I'm still trying to figure out what will clean it off the plastic wheelwell trim as a result of it running out of the corners of the hood when hot- USE SOMETHING THAT DOESN'T MELT

2) Put a REAL armrest in the console. The cheapo plastic flip-up unit's days are numbered in mine, and it's only a matter of time before it breaks.

Old 05-10-2007, 12:06 PM
DesignIt
4th Gear
Originally Posted by surfblue
I'd like a totally stripped down car with as little electronics as possible right down to roll up (or let's go total retro and get sliding windows hah hah) windows. A real basic model with no sunroof, no nuthin but a performance base MCS. Call it the MCS "Super Cooper".
I'm with ya! I think a Mini "Carrera RS" would be very cool. My '04 JCW Mini was ordered with only two options to keep it as light weight as possible. Heck, for that matter, the Mini is the only car I own that has power steering and electric windows.

Old 05-10-2007, 12:36 PM
Tessai
2nd Gear
I can sum up my requests in 2-word phrases.

1) Space Blue.

2) Smaller Speedo.

3) Lower Ride.

Old 05-10-2007, 01:21 PM
JFS
1st Gear
- Bring the Burbles back
- Sport Mode on by default
- Have LSD be part of Hyper Sport Package.
- Optional Silver Roof/Mirrors

Old 05-10-2007, 03:27 PM
911Fan
6th Gear
An amendment to my list...

Restore "normal" turn signal operation. There's really no good justification to automate this other than to keep some BMW engineers amused.

It's yet another BMW weirdness like iDrive.

Old 05-10-2007, 03:35 PM
ChrisW
6th Gear
Tell us that the R56 was a big joke so we can all wake up from this nightmare. Then tell us "we are going to go back to making the R53 and R50."

Old 05-10-2007, 07:01 PM
blackeyedsuzie
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by denverjay
I second the the all wheel drive option. Plus I wouldn't mind if they did a redesign of the center stack. Just my opinion though.
I said that Last August. An all wheel drive option! That would be Awesome!

I totally agree about it shouldn't be that a dealer should have to dismantle a car to do an upgrade ...

That is
If you can get the dealer to even dooo an upgrade!

Old 05-10-2007, 08:01 PM
r56mini
6th Gear
I ordered my MCS with the bonnet stripes only.
I thought everything else was just excessive for my reason for getting the car. I wouldn't mind it if the car was 300 pounds lighter but don't know if it is possible.
I will need CD player, AC, heater,... I would love it if they could make the car cheaper...say under $20K.

Old 05-10-2007, 08:40 PM
r56mini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by blackeyedsuzie
I said that Last August. An all wheel drive option! That would be Awesome!

I totally agree about it shouldn't be that a dealer should have to dismantle a car to do an upgrade ...

That is
If you can get the dealer to even dooo an upgrade!
http://www.leftlanenews.com/report-b...i-in-2008.html
2008 models will have awd option I guess. For now, I will take anything!!! I still have 65 days to go!!!!

Old 05-10-2007, 10:17 PM
CooperS-lightningblue
1st Gear
- Engine temp. gauge!

- They need to do something about the stupid seatbelts getting stuck between the door and seat...

- More and bigger storage IN the interior and sides of the boot. A standard glovebox organisor!

Old 05-11-2007, 03:56 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Originally Posted by CooperS-lightningblue
- Engine temp. gauge!

- They need to do something about the stupid seatbelts getting stuck between the door and seat...

- More and bigger storage IN the interior and sides of the boot. A standard glovebox organisor!
Cooper, Moss MINI and MINI Mania both sell seat belt extenders that solve the seat belt problem. They should really come on the car, like they did on my Benz coupe.

Old 05-11-2007, 04:11 AM
Annewithane
4th Gear
In addition to the bum warmers, I want bum COOLERS.

They would make the top-down driving experience much more pleasant on extremely hot days.

Old 05-11-2007, 06:46 AM
OttoMannS
Banned
I test drove a '07 R56 MCS sometime ago and agree with much of what has been said here. Allow me to add a few more changes that I personally would like to see in the next 'update' of the R56.... Among these: 1) Lower the stock ride height of the car 2) Yes, absolutely bring back the exhaust burbles (Or at least make them available on a customer-request-basis) 3) make 17" tires and wheels standard equipment on the S models 4) Offer either body color matched or chrome slated center grilles for the MCS. There needs to be more choices aside from the black plastic grille offered from factory. 5) Fix the center console. In my opinion, this is one of the biggest let downs in the new interior. 6) The clutch engaging point is bizarre. When I drove the car I felt that I had to re-learn to launch it properly. 7) Put the headlight assemblies back into the bonnet structure. This was a hallmark design trait of the previous MINI. 8) Redesign the exterior wing mirrors. They look strange to my eyes. 9) The center speedometer is very overwhelming. The size needs to be toned down a bit 10) Please a real water temp gauge. I don't understand how a Turbocharged car does not have a set of real gauges? 11) The interior headliner material is made of cheap cardboard. The old car had a lovely headliner (Felt more expensive of what it really is) material that was soft to the touch. the new one looks like cardboard/foam used in egg trays in supermarkets. 12) The wheel arches are very thick...in fact they are huge! 13) To me the sport button is a waste of time and good resources. Leave it on or simply remove it..I think. 14) The interior mood lighting is almost not noticeable.. at all. Was surprised at this after all the hoopla from the press previews. 15) Finally, I also wish the stereo was separate from the speedo assembly. At least improve the sound quality especially in the Hi-Fi option. Forgive me if I reharshed some of the points already made, but I think addressing some of these will make the car even more appealing than it is today. Cheers, Otto

Old 05-11-2007, 06:56 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
It's nice to see that many of these wishes are relatively minor aesthetic matters. I like the idea of the sport switch. However, I think there should be a user selectable option as to whether it is defaulted on or off. Initially, I was unhappy about the default off arrangement. But I am finding that 90% of the time I drive with it off. But there are times I really appreciate it on. I also think it would be a good idea for the radio to be DIN. I must be weird, because there seems to be almost universal dislike of the center stack, here and in published reviews. I don't have any problem with it and don't see where it is so materially different than the one in my 04.

Old 05-11-2007, 07:06 AM
Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You won't ever see roll ups or slider windows ever again. That time has past. Best buy a classic for that utilitarian experience that you crave.

It's quite possible to spec a MCS with only the important things. I did that on my R53 MCS & it's how I'll spec my R56 when the time comes.

Auto-up with track mode would be great. You listening Ian?

Old 05-11-2007, 07:11 AM
OttoMannS
Banned
I guess there are aspects of the exterior design that I am not so "hot" about in the new car, but I really doubt those will be changed until the next generation of the car. For now, I think it is better to stick to those areas that can be changed and provide a substantial amount of pleasure to an already phenomenal car. Cheers, Otto

Old 05-11-2007, 07:28 AM
Annewithane
4th Gear
The addition of one option that many have been asking for for a long time: body colored wheel arches.

Old 05-29-2007, 11:53 PM
j0dan
2nd Gear
how about a DSG transmission?

Old 05-30-2007, 12:11 AM
amazingrando
Auto on Sport Button guy
Auto sensing bird poop power wash. you get the idea. Or I could just kill off all the crows in my neighborhood...but that would be inhumane.

Quick Reply: R56 2008 MC/MCS -- What Changes Would You Like?