R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 2008 MC/MCS -- What Changes Would You Like?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 03:01 PM
tugboatboy
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ejection seat from the factory, for when the passengers death grip and constant screaming becomes too distracting

Old 05-19-2008, 03:14 PM
OPC
RATTUS Deserticus
In order of preference:
1. Water temp gauge
2. Boost pressure gauge (doesn't have to be fancy, white-yellow-red would do)
3. Deeper net pockets on the back of the seats
4. Opaque sunroof covers (instead of mesh ones)
5. Non-RF tire option with sports package
6. Audio mute on steering wheel

Old 05-19-2008, 03:19 PM
Impulsive
Banned
Whassa mattah, 'tjtull'? Can't handle the truth? The engine of a "premium" $30k car shouldn't sound like it does at start-up. That is FACT. Go cry to mommy if you don't like reading FACT. A Kia Rio sounds an order of magnitude better at HALF the cost ... must be that German engineering hampering the reputation of the MINI, couldn't be the French connection, could it?

Thanks again "Dud".

Old 05-19-2008, 03:24 PM
sdavid01
2nd Gear
A traditional, accessible oil filter.

sd

Old 05-19-2008, 03:24 PM
tjtull
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Impulsive
Whassa mattah, 'tjtull'? Can't handle the truth? The engine of a "premium" $30k car shouldn't sound like it does at start-up. That is FACT. Go cry to mommy if you don't like reading FACT. A Kia Rio sounds an order of magnitude better at HALF the cost ... must be that German engineering hampering the reputation of the MINI, couldn't be the French connection, could it?

Thanks again "Dud".
Go buy your wonderful Korean-made Kia. As I said before, no one is stopping you.

Old 05-19-2008, 03:51 PM
bandit33
1st Gear

Thanks again "Dud".
A: premium Car? LOL you're kidding right?

when I bought the MCS... the MC was under 20K and the MCS was 23K now I added premium ... ok 24,500 big woop... premium car?? now granted I'm not the best person to talk about exhaust... the mini is parked next to an 8.5 litre 1000hp viper truck... that gives new meaning to the word 'loud'... but come on... I've never noticed the cooper sounding that terrible... it's a pretty high performance vehicle compared to a kia... I'm not sure what you'd expect it to sound like... I like the sound of v8's so even a typical porsche sounds obnoxious to me... but sounds like music to others...

it's all about perspective I guess :>... you should pull the cat's off and put new exhaust if you want it to sound better

Old 05-19-2008, 04:45 PM
GregO
4th Gear
changes

1. Bring back the old instrument cluster.
2. Bring back liquid yellow.
3. Install at least a good quality/competently engineered clutch/dual mass flywheel; original MINI clutches are proven Pieces of S____. I've seen Hyundais and Kias with better engineered components.

Originally Posted by 911Fan
I recently test drove an 07 MCS. I liked it for the most part but there are a few things I wish they'd change in the 08 model (in time for my order ).

So here's my 08 wish list...

1. Bring back the traditional ignition key. The pushbutton requires a secondary operation which is more annoying than cool since you still need to use the "key".

2. Bring back the R53 manual climate controls. They were basicaly fully optimized and hence couldn't be improved! The new controls are less user-friendly and they really do look like something from Playskool, as some critics have alleged.

3. Fix the clutch engage point. The current point is just plain weird.

4. Tame the squirreliness during straight-ahead acceleration. (The car I test drove didn't have LSD so maybe that helps...)

5. Bring back Jet Black!

What changes would you like to see?

Adding some more...

6. Find a place on the super-sized speedo for a water level gauge. The design change will pay for itself in reduced warranty costs.

In fact, if they could press the Undo key and just bore out the M35 block, I'd be grateful!

Old 05-19-2008, 04:48 PM
saturn
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks again "Dud".
Who may I ask, in their right mind would, not only make fun of a car they purchased, let alone do it in the same forum where people love that car???
My opinion, sell your car to someone that will appreciate it, buy a KIA, join the KIA owners embarrassment foundation, errr, I mean KIA owners forum, Oh ....wait, there isn't one, and in 5 years or 50,000 miles when your KIA isn't worth the pie tin it was pressed out of and we're all getting top dollar for our trade in's, sit in your KIA and pat yourself on the back!

Old 05-19-2008, 06:00 PM
JohnnyF
4th Gear
Originally Posted by saturn
Who may I ask, in their right mind would, not only make fun of a car they purchased, let alone do it in the same forum where people love that car???
My opinion, sell your car to someone that will appreciate it, buy a KIA, join the KIA owners embarrassment foundation, errr, I mean KIA owners forum, Oh ....wait, there isn't one, and in 5 years or 50,000 miles when your KIA isn't worth the pie tin it was pressed out of and we're all getting top dollar for our trade in's, sit in your KIA and pat yourself on the back!
Someone that doesn't own the car at all...in case of failure to detect the obvious troll/1st gen owner that hasn't moved on, post history can be your friend.

Old 05-19-2008, 06:13 PM
Impulsive
Banned
Hmmmm, seems 'GregO' is one of a few who can acknowledge FACT. I don't want a Kia Rio btw ... just pointing out the FACT that there are many S owners that are unhappy with their pricey purchase after experiencing what can be seen on YouTube or read about in the problems section of this site. Fortunately for Kia, they don't have such a problem. It's funny to read clowns getting riled up over FACT. And then bash Kia owners. Thanks for the advice but I'll just buy something better than your beloved car and not have an endless list of remedies such as those listed in these four pages.

Old 05-19-2008, 06:23 PM
tjtull
5th Gear
Hmmmm, seems 'GregO' is one of a few who can acknowledge FACT. I don't want a Kia Rio btw ... just pointing out the FACT that there are many S owners that are unhappy with their pricey purchase after experiencing what can be seen on YouTube or read about in the problems section of this site. Fortunately for Kia, they don't have such a problem. It's funny to read clowns getting riled up over FACT. And then bash Kia owners. Thanks for the advice but I'll just buy something better than your beloved car and not have an endless list of remedies such as those listed in these four pages.
FACT, not all MCSs have cold start issues. FACT, many of us enjoy our cars and are happy we purchased them.

Last edited by tjtull; 05-19-2008 at 07:18 PM.
Old 05-19-2008, 06:31 PM
chili s
2nd Gear
Don't feed the Trolls

Old 05-19-2008, 06:52 PM
Impulsive
Banned
Honestly, I am NOT trolling, just stating FACT. There is a gamble in purchasing the S and MANY have lost. They paid a fair sum and are unhappy. I'm glad I chose not to gamble.

'tjtull', what's funny is that I TRULY think that is your self-portrait after reading your signature ... pathetic pic to go along with that pathetic set of names. Really, re-evaluate that situation ... 'Dud'.

Old 05-19-2008, 07:06 PM
ATCQL
5th Gear
This is GREAT.Q

Old 05-19-2008, 07:14 PM
Krut
6th Gear
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Impulsive... If you have nothing constructive to add to the conversation then please don't do so. It's offensive to the people that are trying gleen accurate information from this post.

Last edited by Krut; 05-19-2008 at 08:07 PM.
Old 05-19-2008, 07:15 PM
gnatster
6th Gear
Ahh gesse..another thread going the dogs. Look here...either fight using well worded concepts to support your argument or back away from the keyboard.

Personal attacks will NOT be tolerated.

Consider yourself warned.

Old 05-19-2008, 07:19 PM
tjtull
5th Gear
My apologies for allowing myself to be drawn in. I've edited my post and will disengage from all personal attacks.

Old 05-19-2008, 07:29 PM
a4autocrossr
2nd Gear
i agree with changing the interior lights to match the ambient, though it could get a bit distracting when your passengers start playing. open up the hood intake all the way. boost/engine temp gauge, a bit less torque steer (maybe its because in coming from a 160hp audi with quattro, ive never felt torque steer), other than that, not much else is wrong with the grey goose....actaully, move the seat heat button, im 6'1 and my knees hit the button and roast my *** at the most inconvenient of moments in the warm weather.

--E

Old 05-19-2008, 07:47 PM
DrewN
6th Gear
After a month of 2008 R56 ownership there's only two things I would change - stock ride height, which is easy enough to correct, and a boost/temp gauge (even if only for info/peace of mind), which can also be addressed aftermarket.

At first the whole center console was quirky and difficult to maneuver around, but after a month it's intuitive (enough). I still fumble with the two (selector/on/off) *****, but otherwise it's easy enough.

Old 05-19-2008, 08:11 PM
Impulsive
Banned
Mods, I posted two items today ... one, the start-up engine clatter (this is a legit concern, not a frilly request) ... two, the 4X4 ride height (this is also a legit concern on a sporty car). I then compared these problems with another "low-end" manufacturer to make a point.

It's not my fault nor my problem that there may be some who take it personally that MINI has failed in these two areas, let alone all the other issues listed in these four pages.

Again, I'm not flaming, trolling, stroking, drinking, nothing ... 'Krut', maybe you should better comprehend what transpired ... my two points were as constructive and accurate as any other. To then be attacked because of bias and sensitivity is where you need to focus. Unless you are as biased and sensitive as those to whom you provide a free pass.

I'd expect a moderator to be fair ... wouldn't you?

Old 05-19-2008, 08:26 PM
Krut
6th Gear
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Fair is one thing - but calling out people as clowns and duds is not going to be tolerated.

Old 05-19-2008, 08:34 PM
Impulsive
Banned
No, fair is everything ... 'dud' was in response to saying I was being a PITA ... fair is fair ... and 'clowns' was in response to "join the KIA owners embarrassment foundation" and "the obvious troll" ... again, fair is fair.

Like I stated, you need to focus your authoritarianism elsewhere. You aren't being fair.

Old 05-19-2008, 08:36 PM
Mark
North American Motoring :: Founder
So let's get back on topic and make it a fair discussion then....

Mark

Old 05-19-2008, 08:50 PM
tugboatboy
2nd Gear
Honestly, I am NOT trolling, just stating FACT. There is a gamble in purchasing the S and MANY have lost. They paid a fair sum and are unhappy. I'm glad I chose not to gamble.

'tjtull', what's funny is that I TRULY think that is your self-portrait after reading your signature ... pathetic pic to go along with that pathetic set of names. Really, re-evaluate that situation ... 'Dud'.
You my fine sir, are an a#@ !! You seem to be looking for someone to bite. but will not find it here !! So take your bashing elswhere !!

Old 05-19-2008, 08:51 PM
Impulsive
Banned
Back on topic, I could probably sit on the fence wrt getting an S but that start-up noise really is a deal breaker for me. It's a car you can't help but want ... then all the little short-comings put me on the fence.

What I REALLY wanted was the factory JCW before the bungling became public. Still jacked up, no skirt package, rims I don't want ... and having to pay for doubled-up parts ... I shouldn't be so bothered but when something so right goes so wrong, you can't help but be pissed.

Quick Reply: R56 2008 MC/MCS -- What Changes Would You Like?