R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Anybody find yourself driving too aggressive just because the MINI drives so well?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 10:28 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A station wagon does not have off-road capability. Nor does any modern-world station wagon hold 7 people and camping gear. Even if it did, the fact that I chose to drive an SUV does not make me a tailgating, aggressive a$$. Furthermore, MINIs are not the highest gas mileage cars on the road. So, is the line drawn at whatever mileage your car gets is the acceptable mileage? When my daughter's girl scouts go camping, I take 6 of them and their equipment and drop them off, thus saving 6 separate vehicles going. So, I shouldn't be derided for ruining everyone else's world.

Old 05-14-2007, 10:35 AM
laughbuddha
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You are right. Nobody should be prejudged for driving a SUV. Especially with seat belt and car seat laws, sometimes they are the only choice for a large family.

There is no fine line, it is all grey. I know a lot of singles who drive SUVs. I see a lot of people driving alone in their SUVs...

For the record, Subaru has a good 4WD wagon, with decent mileage.

Old 05-14-2007, 10:54 AM
korby
6th Gear
In Orange County 85 % of SUV's have one blond women driving by themselves with the cell phone stuck to there head .( cell phone use is against the law while driving in california ) It seems to be a status thing than a need thing.Ten years ago it was full size pickups which drove up the price for us who need them for work.Its America we have freedom to make our own way but to me some things seem waistful .No disrespect to those who truly need SUV's.

Old 05-14-2007, 10:55 AM
denverjay
1st Gear
Wow, interesting thread this has become. Just a couple of observations.

1) Do SUVs guzzle gas? Yep, most do. However, that's a supply/demand thing and the fact is that if someone owns an SUV and can afford to drive it, then chances are they don't give a rat's a$$ how much gas costs. Neither should you. It's their money and they can spend it however they want to spend it. The fact someone drives an SUV has abosutely nothing to do with the price of gas at the pump. What DOES have to do with the price at the pump is that "some" in this country won't allow anyone to take advantage of the oil we have here in the good 'ol US of A and drastically reduce our dependence on foreign oil. They would instead have everyone paying $4 a gallon for gas. Thanks for that.

2) They tend to tailgate? What tailgates, the SUV or the idiot driving the SUV? The problem here lies with the driver of the SUV, not the SUV. It's the same argument people try to use against guns. What kills someone, the gun or the person pulling the trigger? Logic and common sense are your friends.

3) Global Warming, where to begin. First, the obvious, no one can prove that 1) Global Warming is actually happening and not just a normal climate fluctuation and 2) If the climate is changing, that it's being caused or even contributed to by humans. Now for the commentary. Global Warming is the next 60's hippie movement. Only now, it's much better because with Global Warming, anyone can say anything they want, without a shred of hard proof and it's considered "truth". Hmm, you know, I think Global Warming has become....a religion. Man, some folks in the movement are going to hate that analogy. Because to believe in Global Warming, you have to truly have "faith" that what some "scientists" are proposing, has happened, is happening and will happen in the future.

4) And lastly, if I want to own and drive an SUV because I can afford it and it's the best option for me. Then I sure as heck aren't going to be concerned about what kind of emissions it has. Let's put it this way, when China, North Korea and Russia start giving a crap about how much pollution they're putting into the atmosphere, maybe I'll start to care a little more also.

Old 05-14-2007, 11:00 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Nice vent for you political views. Selective logic is a wonderful thing.

Old 05-14-2007, 11:06 AM
denverjay
1st Gear
Lol, sorry for that. It's amazing how some threads can get you cranked up.

Old 05-14-2007, 11:22 AM
flav
5th Gear
Originally Posted by LynnEl
A station wagon does not have off-road capability. Nor does any modern-world station wagon hold 7 people and camping gear. Even if it did, the fact that I chose to drive an SUV does not make me a tailgating, aggressive a$$. Furthermore, MINIs are not the highest gas mileage cars on the road. So, is the line drawn at whatever mileage your car gets is the acceptable mileage? When my daughter's girl scouts go camping, I take 6 of them and their equipment and drop them off, thus saving 6 separate vehicles going. So, I shouldn't be derided for ruining everyone else's world.
you did have a point in an earlier post, and like i and others have stated "some people NEED an SUV" but your ongoing defensive posts are starting to sound more like guilt. we can't make you feel any way about driving an SUV, thats your personal choice, but you need to know and deal with how most people that dont drive SUVs perceive you. you made the choice to drive one, and thats your choice. its also other people's choice to think what they want about your choice. selective logic is one thing but selective freedom of choice, thought and speech is a dangerous thing.

now again, i plead, lets get back on topic. this thread is not about SUVs and the people that drive them.

Old 05-14-2007, 12:35 PM
DV8MINI
1st Gear
Originally Posted by flav
yeah, i had three people almost run me off the road this morning commute. it very very hard to make me mad, but that gets me furious.

Another thing that AWAYS happenes to me (this is my 3rd MINI), some idiot in a huge SUV gets on my a$$ as if they need me to go even faster than i already am so they could burn a few more gallons of gas, and we head into a turn (off ramp ect.). i stay a steady speed and they have to slow way down so their fat SUV does not tip over. then after the turn guess who is flooring it again and right up on my tail. SUVs make me sick, or maybe its just the drivers. i almost look at them as less intelligent or less educated (sorry if any of you drive SUVs, and i know sometimes its necessary). why in the world would someone purposly buy an ugly gas hog, that drives like a boat. its very offensive to me.
Well....ahem.....some do drive large vehicles just for the sake of it. Next time you'all are in the HOV lane, look out over the other lanes and see how many folks are in large rigs all by their lonesomes. Its comical actually. But then there are some of us "less intelligent and/or less educated" folks who have a legitimate "need" for a large SUV/Pickup. Some may go to the movies, the mall or the gallery, but I prefer as do lots of Americans, to hitch up the horses, four-wheelers, boats, etc; grab some family and/or friends and head to the lake or mountains. Some of those same people in those large SUV's have families at school, home, etc and all we see is the one parent coming/going to work. Paying for extra gas is cheaper for the month to month family than an extra commuter vehicle.

But of course that doesn't excuse the horrible driving many exhibit. The one thing that scares me the most besides poisonous dart frogs is a mom driving a Suburban talking on the celly while doing lipstick.

BTW, I could give many of you all a run for your money in my Dodge diesel. And for the purposes of this thread, I intend to drive in a very sporty manner but courteously as well when I recieve my MCS because it feels so effortless!

Old 05-14-2007, 12:42 PM
Loony2N
6th Gear
My point is simply that you can't paint everyone with the same brush. Sure you are entitled to a point of view. But it's nice to be informed, too. I dont feel guilty driving an SUV; nor should i be stereotyped because I do. To get back on topic, just because I drive an SUV doesn't compel me to tailgate anyone or be aggressive to MINIs.

Old 05-14-2007, 12:58 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 104 Likes on 83 Posts
Originally Posted by Richard Korby
In Orange County 85 % of SUV's have one blond women driving by themselves with the cell phone stuck to there head.
That's when they aren't picking up the kids at school, LOL. I was in the other 15%.
I had 2 fully loaded Jeep Grand Cherokees before this Mini, and trust me they are not that stable over 75mph on any kind of a road with turns in it. Anybody that tells you they are is just ignorant and is way too trusting that the car will save itself somehow in the event of any problems.

Old 05-14-2007, 01:01 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by denverjay
1) It's their money and they can spend it however they want to spend it.

Isn't America Great. You spend money how you want to ... and don't tell me about gas ... I LOVE buying GAS It keeps Oil Company workers employed and is good for the economy.

2) They tend to tailgate? ... Logic and common sense are your friends.
again. I've seen ALL kinds of people driving ALL kinds of cars tailgating.

Tailgaiters are equal opportunity lawbreakers (as tailgating is usually a moving violation).

3) Global Warming, where to begin. First, the obvious, no one can prove that
Dude ... YOU ROCK

Old 05-14-2007, 01:04 PM
DV8MINI
1st Gear
Wow - Hot topic of the day, lol. All because of a simple, non-threatening question.

I notice that in Idaho, SUV's and Trucks are much more behaved than here in Georgia. Well, not so much. denverjay is correct. It isn't the SUV/Truck that is gunning for you, it's the driver. I grew up in Idaho and nearly everyone drove trucks and SUVs. You need it for the lifestyle that we live, i.e. farms, ranches, recreation, etc. So if you begin to take away the Urbanites SUVs and Trucks who probably would be just fine with a large Volvo or Subaru, then you'd have to take away the SUVs/Trucks from those whose LIVELIEHOODS depend on them. So where would you draw the line? This is America people, the land of choice. Why crimp freedom of choice when all we need to do is suspend moron drivers. Thats why we have recklessness, because you get a slap on the wrist for it. Start taking away licenses for 5 years at a whack or so and then see what happens. But hey, punish law-breakers and not everyone? What a novel idea!

I think there is a huge difference between spirited driving and just fast driving. You can drive fast all you want, but ever notice that individual who roars up on your tail in whatever vehicle slams on their brakes in the loops/corners and weaves all over traffic? Yeah, they can drive fast strait, but seeing as they cannot drive a strait line nor around a corner tells you that they stink at driving. I call my driving spirited, where I genuinely avoid passing on the right hand side, motor around corners at good speed if there are no others near, zoom off of traffic lights to legal speeds etc, etc. Yes, I'm not perfect, but if I choose to be a moron, I don't want others penalized for my stupidity. And yes, I'm using a few generalities as well.

BTW, To introduce Global warming into this is fairly ignorant as well. Not the issue/non-issue of Global Warming, but because we're talking about how the MC tends to charm you into spirited driving, and perhaps an SUV DRIVER issue as an off topic.

Last edited by DV8MINI; 05-14-2007 at 01:17 PM.
Old 05-14-2007, 02:54 PM
laughbuddha
2nd Gear
Global warming and aggressive driving

Since I brought global warming up, I will defend it as connected to aggressive driving.

In the early 70s, just after the first oil shock, a little known topic was covered in the United Nations World Economic and Social Survey. The much repressed results showed conclusively that 42% of aggressive drivers don't care about the impact car emissions have on the envirionment. Furthermore, these same drivers were responsible for an astounding 86% of emissions. After the severe pressure from the National Auto Dealers Association was placed on the UN to retract this finding, the report mysteriously disappeared. however, it can still be found here LINK.

At the time I was an operative for the CIA. Trust me, I know what I am talking about.

Old 05-14-2007, 03:09 PM
denverjay
1st Gear
LOL, good one. :D I knew I never trusted that sneaky mouse! Has anyone ever checked for a secret stash of oil under that castle?

Old 05-14-2007, 03:12 PM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
One hundred percent of MINI drivers named BlimeyCabrio don't believe anything published by the most corrupt organization in the world, the United Nations.

Nor do we typically believe people claiming to be former CIO operatives unless they show us their gun with the numbers filed off. That's the only real proof that they were a former CIA operative. Cause, like, no one else has those.

Now on the other hand, we ALL know that the NADA is an evil machine inextricably linked to the global oil crony cartel and their insipid quest to make us all eat bad shellfish and kill all the polar bears. Except Knut. Who is the Polar Bear Messiah.

But, well, laughingbuddha has almost convinced me. ;-)

Old 05-14-2007, 03:15 PM
korby
6th Gear
"Can't we all just get along" Rodney King

Old 05-14-2007, 03:16 PM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
You bet - back On Topic...

Can someone define "too aggressive" for me? Cause I don't know what that means...

Old 05-14-2007, 06:01 PM
EEPERS
1st Gear
FWIW, I saw a great site that basically points out that I could buy the most efficient diesel engine car on the road, drive like a granny, and by the time I'm dead the difference in emissions would be less than a single flight from NC to California.

I'll drive like a speed monkey when appropriate and take one less flight to California please