R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Anybody find yourself driving too aggressive just because the MINI drives so well?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 06:45 AM
flav
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anybody find yourself driving too aggressive just because the MINI drives so well?

does anybody find yourself driving too aggressive just because the MINI drives so well? i am an agressive driver anyway but the fact that the MCS is so fast and handles so well i find that i really push this car and actually become more agressive (in a bad way) in a normal commute. switching multiple lanes, merging quickly, jetting in and out of traffic, and just giving it too much gas. does anybody else have this problem? also people love getting very close to the MINI in the back, almost like they want to bump it off the road. in these cases i cant help but to drop it down a gear and blast off. i just want to drive calm with this car and i cant, it worries me sometimes.

Old 05-10-2007, 07:22 AM
Skuzzy
OVERDRIVE
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not sure what it is, but there seems to have been a rash of rear-ended accidents lately for the Mini's. Wonder why that is?

People talk about it being a small car, but it really is not that small. 3 feet shorter and 5 inches wider(!) than our Lexus IS250. I dunt(tm) call that a small car.

And the Mini is almost always in some eye-catching color scheme. Heck, it seems difficult to make one bland.

Maybe the non-Mini driver is getting hypnotized by the beauty of the Mini and so jealous they feel like they need to hurt it? They should be more self-absorbed, like me!

But, back on-topic. I would love to give you a really clever answer to this. But, I DO NOT HAVE MY MINI YET!!! ARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!

Old 05-10-2007, 07:27 AM
dneal
4th Gear
people love getting very close to the MINI in the back, almost like they want to bump it off the road.
That's what the rear fogs are for.

Old 05-10-2007, 07:31 AM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I find I get no respect from other cars on the road, especially SUV's and pick-ups, which makes me drive more aggressively to go around them and in front. They never move over a lane to let me on the highway, and frequently cut me off like I'm not there. It's not like my car is invisible either - it's Electric Blue for criminies sake!

So, yes, the car's ablilties do seem to enhance my agressiveness, but I think of it more as survival amongst the dinosaurs.........

Old 05-10-2007, 07:36 AM
Skuzzy
OVERDRIVE
I could see driving the Mini more like a motorcycle. Always on the lookout for the vehicle looking to kill you. I drive that way by default, due to years of motorcycle riding, so I may not notice any difference ONCE I GET TO ACTUALLY DRIVE MY OWN MINI!!!!! ARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!

Old 05-10-2007, 07:38 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I used to a bit but I gave up on that whole thing completely. I find it much more enjoyable to do exactly the opposite...drive even more courteously than ever. Folks on the road really seem to appreciate it...and it builds better PR for MINIs and MINI drivers. To me, if you have a superior motoring machine, then use it to motor better.

Old 05-10-2007, 07:41 AM
kookmyers
4th Gear
Originally Posted by gokartride
To me, if you have a superior motoring machine, then use it to motor better.

With great power comes great responsibility.

Old 05-10-2007, 07:42 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
I wouldn't say aggresive is the right word. More spirited, actually. I am still not used to the power/handling/responsiveness yet, so I would say I am cautious. However, I do find myself chirping the wheels on occasion. One thing I have noticed: People seem to believe it's not a "real" car, so they will cut out in front of me, as if I'm not there.

Old 05-10-2007, 07:50 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Originally Posted by LynnEl
they will cut out in front of me, as if I'm not there.
I thankfully have seen little of this in my neck of the woods. We all find this kinda stuff rather disgusting, and I find it pathetic that MINI owners would engage in such antics....and some of us do!!!

Old 05-10-2007, 07:52 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Originally Posted by gokartride
I thankfully have seen little of this in my neck of the woods. We all find this kinda stuff rather disgusting, and I find it pathetic that MINI owners would engage in such antics....and some of us do!!!
I meant non-MINI drivers cut in front on me when I am in my MINI.

Old 05-10-2007, 07:54 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Originally Posted by LynnEl
I meant non-MINI drivers cut in front on me when I am in my MINI.
Right...I got that...and that is truly a worrisome thing. However, over the years we have seen many stories of MINI-owners actually doing the same kind of thing or worse. Not fitting bahavior for a MINI-owner, imo. If the MINI is making us drive more aggressively, we each need to re-consider that.

Old 05-10-2007, 08:01 AM
jakay11
4th Gear
getting back to the original post... the car is light and the brakes are great... If the ding-dong behind you is yakking on the cell phone, and turned around to yell at the kids... chances are they'll miss that you are slowing (possibly suddenly) and just get whacked or punted...

I've nearly been punted during the morning commute w/ people just plain not paying attn... but that's what I get for living in the most densely pop. state in the nation. (NJ)

Old 05-10-2007, 08:13 AM
iDriveS
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Skuzzy
Not sure what it is, but there seems to have been a rash of rear-ended accidents lately for the Mini's. Wonder why that is?
My fiance was driving the R56 last night and accidentally shifted into R instead of 1 at a light. My heart skipped a beat. There was a guy real close to our rear end as it was and then she started going backwards for about 1.3764345 seconds during which time my heart froze up and I lost about 5 years of my life. Fortunately for her nothing happened and I stayed calm. She felt too embarassed to give her a hard time about it and hopefully it scared her into being a little more careful.

Old 05-10-2007, 08:14 AM
flav
5th Gear
yeah, i had three people almost run me off the road this morning commute. it very very hard to make me mad, but that gets me furious.

Another thing that AWAYS happenes to me (this is my 3rd MINI), some idiot in a huge SUV gets on my a$$ as if they need me to go even faster than i already am so they could burn a few more gallons of gas, and we head into a turn (off ramp ect.). i stay a steady speed and they have to slow way down so their fat SUV does not tip over. then after the turn guess who is flooring it again and right up on my tail. SUVs make me sick, or maybe its just the drivers. i almost look at them as less intelligent or less educated (sorry if any of you drive SUVs, and i know sometimes its necessary). why in the world would someone purposly buy an ugly gas hog, that drives like a boat. its very offensive to me.

Old 05-10-2007, 08:39 AM
4xAAA
6th Gear
Originally Posted by dneal
That's what the rear fogs are for.
Bingo!! My thoughts exactly. Dealer thru ours in for free.

Talked to a lady the other day while waiting for a movie, she had a MC and said she was suprised at how much more bold she was when she started driving e MINI. "I catch myself always looking for the next gap to get thru and finding places to pass the other cars."

Folks, she looked like the sterotypical school marm/librarian. Not the "tradin' paint is racin'" crowd!

Old 05-10-2007, 08:40 AM
flav
5th Gear
rear fogs are not much help in a morning commute.

Old 05-10-2007, 08:43 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Originally Posted by 4xAAA
she had a MC and said she was suprised at how much more bold she was when she started driving e MINI. "I catch myself always looking for the next gap to get thru and finding places to pass the other cars."
See this stuff should not be encouraged!!! I have friends (non-MINI owners) who have told me they were cut off by an aggressive MINI driver. It's kinda embarassing. The other day another friend told me they were driving somewhere and twice saw MINIs pulled over to get a ticket. C'mon folks...do we really want to become known for this?

Last edited by gokartride; 05-10-2007 at 08:45 AM.
Old 05-10-2007, 08:45 AM
minigt3
1st Gear
Flav,
were you in the left lane?

Old 05-10-2007, 08:48 AM
flav
5th Gear
Originally Posted by minigt3
Flav,
were you in the left lane?
???? right lane today, left lane yesterday, what does that matter?

Old 05-10-2007, 08:56 AM
snid
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
my MINI did make me drive more aggressively for a while. Then, I found track days. Now, my aggressive driving takes place on a closed course and I drive responsibly on the public streets. Win / win!

Old 05-10-2007, 09:01 AM
Flick
2nd Gear
I find that I am mostly "picking up the pace" when approaching traffic circles, off-ramps, on-ramps (assuming, of course, it is safe to do so)...the same sorts of challenges I seek out when riding my motorcycle. The advantage the Mini has over the mc is the fact it is not so adversely affected by gravel and sand in the apex of a turn! Interestingly, I am now suffering the same anxiety pangs while driving the MC as I do on the FZ1...you know, worrying about the "anti-social" aspects of the manner in which I drive. Fortunately, being of a "mature" age, reason quickly sets in and I revert back to a more sedate pace...but only until the next traffic circle, off-ramp, on- ramp, etc., etc,. etc.

Old 05-10-2007, 09:19 AM
bzn by
4th Gear
I definitely drive more "spirited" in the mini than any other car I have owned, but I would not consider my driving style to be "aggressive"

Old 05-10-2007, 09:25 AM
z3bum
5th Gear
I have not had people cut me off, though suvs frequently tailgate. I don't think they realize how fast an R56 can stop. Not to worry, with gas prices projected to be soaring over $4.00/gallon this summer, the gas guzzlers will soon be taking the bus!

I do make a point of trying to drive conservatively, so as not to tarnish the MINIs image.

Old 05-10-2007, 09:35 AM
flav
5th Gear
"Not to worry, with gas prices projected to be soaring over $4.00/gallon this summer, the gas guzzlers will soon be taking the bus!"

I CANT WAIT!!

Old 05-10-2007, 09:39 AM
srfrman7
3rd Gear
nice thread...

Quick Reply: R56 Anybody find yourself driving too aggressive just because the MINI drives so well?