R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Changed my mind -- MC vs. MCS

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 05:45 PM
remphoto
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Changed my mind -- MC vs. MCS

I've been feeling a little buyer's remorse since choosing an MC vs. MCS -- thinking I gave up too much handling and power. That was until taking a trip this past weekend back to my old stomping grounds in Western Pennsylvania (Johnstown area). I drove really fast (ask the guy trying to keep up with me in an Infinity M35) up a familiar mountain road. I was darn impressed with how fast this bugger will travel and corner. It seemed the faster I went, the better it cornered. Over the years I have driven all kinds of nice cars up this road (TR6/MGB/Capri/Mustang GT/VW Rabbit, etc) and never had so much fun or drove it so fast. I'm afraid that an MCS would have been just a little too much, not to mention bouncy on the rough roads. To cap the positive experience, on the way back home to Ohio on the interstate we got 40.5 mpg.

Old 05-10-2007, 05:57 PM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Congrats. Having owned a 2003 MC for 3 years with 65,000 miles and now a 2005 MCS, I can assure you that the only thing you're missing from the MCS is the acceleration off the line. Once you're past 35, it pulls hard and continues to do so as you row through the gears.

I rented an '07 MC for 4 days from Flexcar while I was at MOTD2007 and I really enjoyed driving it, even though it was an automatic, the paddle shifters worked well and Sport mode was enjoyable.

And with the new stronger engine, one of the big reasons I loved the 1st gen MCS more over the MC was the extra power which allowed simple things like having the AC on at full blast without robbing too much usable power--I didn't see this drawback at all on the '07 MC.

Congrats again.

Richard

Originally Posted by remphoto
I've been feeling a little buyer's remorse since choosing an MC vs. MCS -- thinking I gave up too much handling and power. That was until taking a trip this past weekend back to my old stomping grounds in Western Pennsylvania (Johnstown area). I drove really fast (ask the guy trying to keep up with me in an Infinity M35) up a familiar mountain road. I was darn impressed with how fast this bugger will travel and corner. It seemed the faster I went, the better it cornered. Over the years I have driven all kinds of nice cars up this road (TR6/MGB/Capri/Mustang GT/VW Rabbit, etc) and never had so much fun or drove it so fast. I'm afraid that an MCS would have been just a little too much, not to mention bouncy on the rough roads. To cap the positive experience, on the way back home to Ohio on the interstate we got 40.5 mpg.

Old 05-10-2007, 06:02 PM
4xAAA
6th Gear
Careful on the twisties in the mountains. Down can be a long ways.
Glad you are happy with your choice. Keep smilin' and enjoy the miles!

Old 05-10-2007, 07:11 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Coopers are frequently underestimated. You can have a blast when you want to and still pull down some great mpg #s if you want....best of both worlds!!! I love Cooper...in my view the perfect MINI!!!

Old 05-10-2007, 10:09 PM
msh441
6th Gear
Yeah, I don't think you gave anything up in the handling department. The MC and MCS are pretty much eqwually matched.

You've got less power, but as your finding, you just have to drive it a bit differently. Keep it on the boil and the revs up and you're good-to-go!

Old 05-11-2007, 04:48 AM
glangford
6th Gear
Congrats, I love my MC. I agree with gokartride, the MC is the perfect mini.

Old 05-11-2007, 06:05 AM
doodlez
5th Gear
Congrats on finding peace with your decision and learning to appreciate your MC.

I ::heart:: my MC! To me, you really can't go wrong with a "plain ol' Cooper", especially if it's your daily driver that doubles as your fun car (as opposed to only serving as a toy).

gokartride really hit the nail on the head.

Old 05-11-2007, 07:36 AM
Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by remphoto
To cap the positive experience, on the way back home to Ohio on the interstate we got 40.5 mpg.
With gas prices continuing their climb to the clouds , getting a regular Cooper was a very smart move. Lots of bang for the buck with a Cooper. In a few years when it's time for a new MINI I will look very closely at a Cooper.

Old 05-11-2007, 07:40 AM
justintime
6th Gear
coooper powerrrr

Old 05-11-2007, 07:41 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think Coopers are great and I considered getting one briefly. I think it's a matter of perspective. If you are thinking, "I want a car with great gas mileage that is also a blast to drive," the Cooper is the way to go. If you are thinking, "I want a car with great performance and is a blast to drive, but has good gas mileage," the S is the way to go.

Old 05-11-2007, 07:44 AM
WinneMini
2nd Gear
FINALLY--some unabashed praise of "just a Cooper". I love mine and agree wholeheartedly that is the best daily driver for me with tons of fun factor! So what if she doesn't have that hole in her bonnet---it would be just a Love Bug trap here in sunny, hot, love bug infested, water restricted, burning up Florida. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Love_bug)

Old 05-11-2007, 07:46 AM
snid
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You're all crazy! MCS or nothing!

Old 05-11-2007, 07:49 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Originally Posted by snid
You're all crazy! MCS or nothing!
This reminds me of a guy I worked with who made such statements as "You like candy corn! You're crazy!" and "How can you not like to jog???"

Old 05-11-2007, 07:57 AM
Skuzzy
OVERDRIVE
Probably uses a 10 pound sledge hammer to hang pictures on the wall too.

OT: I test drove both, back-to-back, twice. I just could not find a reason to buy the MCS. For my style of driving, which is all about handling, the MC was a lot of fun, and with aftermarket parts, it can be better.

Of course,..before I can do all these wonderful things,...I NEED MY CAR FIRST!!! ARRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!

Last edited by Skuzzy; 05-11-2007 at 08:00 AM.
Old 05-11-2007, 07:58 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Skuzzy
How low tech. I use a jack hammer.

Old 05-11-2007, 07:59 AM
justintime
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Skuzzy
you mean to say you dont?

weird ;]

Old 05-11-2007, 08:00 AM
DustinDallas
6th Gear
Originally Posted by WinneMini
just a Love Bug trap here in sunny, hot, love bug infested, water restricted, burning up Florida. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Love_bug)
NASTY!

Old 05-11-2007, 08:14 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
I've been driving an R56 Cooper automatic for several days and I must say it has been a blast. I'm waiting for a manual as we speak, but if I were faced with a tad bit more stop-and-go traffic I'd most definitely consider a Cooper automatic. With improved low-end torque, it drives just like my '03 Cooper sans the shifting. And with sport mode and paddle shifters, there is no end to the fun one could have with this car....one could conceivable develop quite a level of artistry in plying the gears in a Cooper automatic!!! Even driven in normal mode the car is superb, though. I truly hope folks needing/wanting an automatic will give this car a chance...there's much more to it than one can experience in one test drive!!!

Last edited by gokartride; 05-11-2007 at 11:14 AM. Reason: 'cuz i cain't speel
Old 05-11-2007, 08:18 AM
Evergreen
3rd Gear
We're going from an Audi A4 to an MC and I was worried that I would miss the power. Now, the MC is no A4, however, I was overwhelming pleased with the giddy up from the MC. I have no problems in city driving nor maneuvering on the highway. Ample power! The only remorse I feel is that I waited this long to get a cooper! : )

Old 05-11-2007, 09:06 AM
nization
2nd Gear
I've thought about the MC for cost reasons. But then, I've always had the 'cost effective' models when I was playing with the RX-7. Never owned a turbo car. I gotta try this one out!

Old 05-11-2007, 02:49 PM
powerband
3rd Gear
I owned an STi, which is basically a turbo on four wheels and a spoiler. No doubt, a turbo gives a boost that rivals a hard kick in the butt, but there is something I like about an engine that aspirates natural air. The simplicity of breath is uncomplicated with the Cooper, and brings back the purity of the Mini.

I test drove the MC a week ago and I must say its handling makes you forget the turbo in the MCS, yet it hasn't lost too much of that pick-up-and-go character.

I am now considering the MC over the MCS.

Old 05-11-2007, 03:20 PM
fbox
2nd Gear
I've just passed the 1K mark on my R56 MC (w/ automatic) and I'm loving every mile of it. The car is spirited, gets great mileage, and is well suited to my stop-and-go commute. It has decent highway manners and moves up and down Seattle's hills with ease. I really don't think I could've made a better choice for the money.

I've owned some pretty fast cars in the past, too. '02 S4 Avant, '04 V70R, '05 B6 S4, to name my most recent rides. While the MC isn't nearly as fast as any of these was, it's easily the most fun to drive. I can play in the 20 - 40mph range and have a ball. With the higher horsepower rides, I was always zooming past legal limits for no reason. The MC lets me have fun and be safe(r) at the same time.

I'm sure I'll move up to the MCS in a few years time, but I think the MC is the only way to go for my first MINI.

Old 05-12-2007, 11:52 AM
srfrman7
3rd Gear
I'm deciding between a MC or MCS too. Both would be 6 speed manual.

Old 05-12-2007, 12:37 PM
undertow
2nd Gear
I love all minis!

That being said, I truly don't understand why someone would buy an Automatic MC. It costs $20,500 for a Base MC with Auto. While an MCS Base costs $21,200 (Manual - As if you'd want a MCS auto :P). $700 more and you can have the MCS. I could understand if the price difference was $5,000-$6,000.

Even Base for Base, MC is $18,050 while the MCS is $21,200. By the Time you add Leather Seats, Automatic or any other one option, you're in the price range of a MCS. Not to mention resale will be more desirable on a MCS than it would be on a MC. And for arguements sake, let's presume the resale value was the same, you'd still get roughly $2-$3k more for the MCS when it comes time to sale it than you would the MC. So you'd make up your money spent on the back end.

Signed, confused.

Old 05-12-2007, 01:22 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Originally Posted by undertow
I truly don't understand why someone would buy an Automatic MC.
It's true, there is just over $3K between an automatic Cooper and an automatic MCS. Perhaps styling preferences are a factor or slightly improved mpg. If I were buying a commuter car and faced lots of stop-and-go traffic, or if I was buying a car for a younger driver, I'd definitely consider a Cooper over an MCS. Then again, for some people spending $3K extra for performance they'd seldom use or want (a lot of folks, but not necessarily a lot on NAM) is just money spent needlessly...$3K is $3K. That said, this does also point up the fact that the MCS is a tremendous value and is a heckuva car even in bare-bones form.

Quick Reply: R56 Changed my mind -- MC vs. MCS