R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Things to tell the dealer

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 08:14 PM
undertow
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Things to tell the dealer

I have searched and could not locate exactly what I would like to know, so here it goes:

I have ordered my R56 MCS and expect it to arrive in late June. I am wondering what I need to tell or ask of my dealer before it arrives. Such as, to wash the car or not. To leave the car in plastic or not. If they fuel the car, can we be sure they are using Premium (91+ Octane) Fuel? Drill holes in the front bumper, etc.

I have never ordered a car before, so I want to learn from those that have. What did you have done and if you could do it over again what would you make sure they do or dont do.

Once I receive enough replies and information I will call me dealer accordingly as well as update this topic, to where all the information will be in this first post.

Also, My car is schedueled for production according to the website. How do you guys determine production date, and what production week you are in?

Thank for any and all replies.

Kevin

Old 05-11-2007, 09:34 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by undertow
I have searched and could not locate exactly what I would like to know, so here it goes:

I have ordered my R56 MCS and expect it to arrive in late June. I am wondering what I need to tell or ask of my dealer before it arrives. Such as, to wash the car or not. To leave the car in plastic or not. If they fuel the car, can we be sure they are using Premium (91+ Octane) Fuel? Drill holes in the front bumper, etc.
It is mostly up to you -- what you want. Yes, they are going to use the right fuel because they are fixing it if they don't.

I asked not to have my front bumper drilled and will use this:
http://gominigo.com/18545.html
If you like that, do the same. If you want the license in the center, have them drill for it. If you want to go without and risk a citation, it's up to you. I'm told that in California it is a small offense. You just have to install it and show that it is done -- takes up your time going to the DMV.

I have never ordered a car before, so I want to learn from those that have. What did you have done and if you could do it over again what would you make sure they do or dont do.
I asked them not to wax it because I thought I was going to have some stripes painted, but...

Now I have to wax it.
Once I receive enough replies and information I will call me dealer accordingly as well as update this topic, to where all the information will be in this first post.

Also, My car is schedueled for production according to the website. How do you guys determine production date, and what production week you are in?

Thank for any and all replies.

Kevin
Mostly, MINI dealers take care of you fairly well. I'm sure it varies from dealer to dealer somewhat, so who is your dealer?

The main thing to be prepared for when it arrives is the last-minute options they will try to get you to buy. You need to know about them ahead of time so you can make a good choice. The ones presented to me, IIRC, were:

Lojack theft recovery device
Windshield protection/insurance for a specific time/mileage
Extended Service Plan
Extended Repair Warranty
Some sort of accident premium pays $5,000 if you have an accident.

These took me somewhat by surprise, as they intended, and I didn't have time to think them over carefully. My suggestion is that you ask your dealer to lay out the details of all options they are going to offer. Tell them that you will automatically decline anything that hasn't been presented to you ahead of time. That is my 20/20 hindsight advice.

Old 05-11-2007, 10:43 PM
Loui
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Avoid add ons. They are money spinners for the dealer. However, you may want to consider tire and wheel damage if you have lots of pot holes where you drive. If your state requires front a license plate then your dealer may install it. It requires two small holes in the front bumper. If you look closely you can see two small dimples. The dealer will do a final prep. Mine did a terrific job. No need to wax or polish for several months. Continue to watch the website but realize the post in the owners lounge are at least a week behind reality. Call ASK MINI for the most current data.

Old 05-11-2007, 11:48 PM
911Fan
6th Gear
Download a pdf of the owner's manual (do a Google search). Go through it page by page and you will find descriptions for all of the programmable options (like automatic locking).

I think you can program these yourself in the R56 but you can still ask the dealer to program them for you before delivery. Make a list of each option and how you want it to work and email it to your MA.

And don't forget to take along a camera on delivery day!

Old 05-12-2007, 12:57 AM
undertow
2nd Gear
Thanks for all the input guys. I will tell the dealer to please wash and wax the car and ask them to not put on any front plate. I have the manual downloaded and I'll go through that and have my list ready!

Thanks again.

Kevin

Old 05-12-2007, 06:06 AM
snkbte
3rd Gear
If you do not need to run a front plate, I'd tell them not to drill the holes in the front bumper. I plan on making a bracket to mount the plate( so I can pass inspection )and then remove it so there are no holes showing.

Old 05-12-2007, 09:46 AM
djam43
6th Gear
I picked up my Mini last week.Thankfully I was able to stop them before they put any of that temporary wax on it. I spent the next 2 days detailing it to my satisfaction. first a good wash , then a coat or two of Klasse AIO polish, let stand overnight, then a coat of Klasse sealer in the morning, and a Carnuba wax job in the evening. WOW what a finish. You should be good for about 6-9 months with this, with regular washings with a good brand soap . I put a coat of Aerospace 303 on all the exterior rubber and plastic trim.

Old 05-12-2007, 09:46 AM
MLPearson79
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
I would say even if you do need a plate, don't let them drill holes. Get the one that goes into the tow hook.

I am a scofflaw who will wait til I'm cited, however.

Most of the options are already pretty well outlined in this thread. Some other things to think about are whether or not you want to try to get them to throw in floor mats. I went in prepared for this thanks to NAM:

Me, sitting in new MINI: "What, no floor mats?" *looking surprised*
MA's sales manager: "No, they're optional."
Me: "Dang. Does MINI send out surveys? Cuz that's cheap."
Sales manager: *sits up straighter* "Yes, they do. And if you give us all 5s on it, I'll throw in the floor mats at no charge."

Also, relatively close to delivery you should get an email from MINI asking how you want your automatic features programmed, what radio stations you want pre-set, etc.

Old 05-12-2007, 09:53 AM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Originally Posted by snkbte
If you do not need to run a front plate, I'd tell them not to drill the holes in the front bumper. I plan on making a bracket to mount the plate( so I can pass inspection )and then remove it so there are no holes showing.
Are you going to use the towing port, like this:

Old 05-12-2007, 02:04 PM
mufflethis
4th Gear
Just take one of those plastic brackets that dealers normally mount put some adhesive on the back, the non acid type and mount your license plate for the inspection. Cheaper than getting the gominigo bracket and less work than making your own.

EDIT: Oh yeah make sure it's not a perminant adhesive then just heat up the area with a blow drier when peeling off the license plate so you can get any remaining adhesive off the bumper.

Last edited by mufflethis; 05-12-2007 at 02:06 PM.
Old 05-12-2007, 02:27 PM
snkbte
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by mufflethis
Just take one of those plastic brackets that dealers normally mount put some adhesive on the back, the non acid type and mount your license plate for the inspection.
Good idea. Even a little strip of 3M double-sided sticky tape would do it.

Old 05-12-2007, 05:59 PM
Audioforever
Neutral
I don't get it. The photos at the link still look like a hole has been placed in the bottom grill.

Texas requires a front plate, but I'd like to help the resale by not putting holes in the car.

Thanks for any explanation.

Originally Posted by Robin Casady
I asked not to have my front bumper drilled and will use this:

Old 05-12-2007, 09:15 PM
snkbte
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Audioforever
I don't get it. The photos at the link still look like a hole has been placed in the bottom grill.

Texas requires a front plate, but I'd like to help the resale by not putting holes in the car.

Thanks for any explanation.
I am guessing that a small piece of the grill is removable for the tow hooks to screw into (same as some of the BMWs.See pics on http://gominigo.com/18545.html ).

Last edited by snkbte; 05-12-2007 at 09:18 PM.
Old 05-12-2007, 09:46 PM
mufflethis
4th Gear
I am guessing that a small piece of the grill is removable for the tow hooks to screw into (same as some of the BMWs.See pics on http://gominigo.com/18545.html ).
I think that's how it worked on the R53 for the R56 there's a little panel on the bumper that's removable. Basically you won't have to make any holes. I had the bracket for a couple weeks (but no MINI yet ). Whether it looks better than a normally mounted license plate is debatable but I kind of like the offcenter look and won't feel bad about holes in the bumper.

Old 05-12-2007, 11:55 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Here it is on an R56 MCS:

Tow Port covered

Tow Port open:

License Plate Bracket Stud:

License Plate Bracket:

It is all stainless steel with locking nuts or washers. Seems like it will be good, when the DMV gets around to sending plates.

Old 05-13-2007, 01:51 AM
911Fan
6th Gear
Looks like a proof of concept prototype made from an Erector set!

Not a bad concept though...

Old 05-13-2007, 09:24 AM
mufflethis
4th Gear
Once you put the license plate on you don't really see it. There is a company that makes a better looking one but as far as I know that one only works with the R53. I forgot what company that was but I read about that here so if you search you might find some posts.

Old 05-13-2007, 09:59 AM
mauberley
6th Gear
The other license plate bracket that can mount in the tow hook receptacle I'm aware of is the one sold by Moss Mini:

http://www.mossmini.com/Shop/ViewPro...eIndexID=54810

Old 05-13-2007, 10:43 AM
Audioforever
Neutral
Robin,

Thanks for the extra photos. I understand now.

Old 05-13-2007, 12:06 PM
911Fan
6th Gear
At least this one looks like it went into production!

But I'm sure they're both equally functional, though I'd be concerned about something vibrating loose. Maybe a mild Loctite might be in order...

Originally Posted by mauberley
The other license plate bracket that can mount in the tow hook receptacle I'm aware of is the one sold by Moss Mini:

http://www.mossmini.com/Shop/ViewPro...eIndexID=54810

Old 05-13-2007, 01:24 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Originally Posted by 911Fan
At least this one looks like it went into production!

But I'm sure they're both equally functional, though I'd be concerned about something vibrating loose. Maybe a mild Loctite might be in order...
The Moss Mini one looks like anodized aluminum. The GoMiniGo version is all stainless steel. It would be very expensive to do a die stamp stainless steel version.

As far as vibrating loose, it all seems very secure. The main stud has a lock washer. The small screws all have stainless steel nuts with Nylon (or is it Delrin) locks in built-in.