R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Help... please be my eyes... bought blind

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 09:04 PM
aeroguy
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help... please be my eyes... bought blind

There are no Mini dealers (and no Mini's) anywhere remotely near my location. I bought a 2007 MCS and when I pick it up, it will be the first time I've seen, driven or sat in a Mini.

I need to power my radar detector (V1) my Ipod and my Garmin Nuvi 360 GPS. Can someone tell me the available 12V power sockets and what type of multiple 12V adapters will fit? Perhaps a photo of someone's 12V supply set-up for mulitple devices...

Any help would be appreciated.

Old 05-12-2007, 09:34 PM
mufflethis
4th Gear
Haven't gotten my mini yet but I got this already. It's a little narrower than a standard 12 oz can so it should fit. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...147085-5556642

The nice surprise was that the cord from the splitter is just a regular cord not a the stretchy one (or whatever the actual term is, can't think of it right now) like the one in the photo. I find that a regular cord is easier to manage.

Also this looks good but I haven't seen it in person:
http://www.amazon.com/Triple-Auto-Po...=AO13YSIM7IARS

Old 05-12-2007, 09:48 PM
Nor_Cal_Mini
2nd Gear
they make a kit so you can hardwire your NUVI 360. See my gallery. I think it works on the r56 as well...

Old 05-12-2007, 10:16 PM
mufflethis
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Nor_Cal_Mini
they make a kit so you can hardwire your NUVI 360. See my gallery. I think it works on the r56 as well...
Is that the dealer installed one? I heard that you can't get the dealer installed one unless you get the Nuvi from the dealer too and $700 is just too much to pay for that. For someone that already has the Nuvi it would make more sense to get the Kuda mount. I've seen some posts of people here that have that mount where the wires are completely hidden under the dash.

There are also several other ways to hook up devices including hard wiring to the fuse box or a slightly more hacky way of getting a new lighter assembly hooking that up to the fuse box and stashing the lighter assembly somewhere under the dash or in the glove box or secret compartment connecting a spliter to the lighter assemly and running all the wires to that. The more hacky way is good when there's no hardwire kit available for the device or if you have a lot of devices that you like swapping out.

Last edited by mufflethis; 05-12-2007 at 10:20 PM.
Old 05-13-2007, 01:41 AM
aeroguy
2nd Gear
Thanks for the great replies. Ulitmately I'll hard wire it, but for now I'll take delivery and immediately begin a 8 hour trip... so my installation will be temp, hence a cig lighter install I like the cup holder 12V adapter but I'm using one of the holders for my Ipod. I wonder if I'll actually need to use one of the holders for a beverage...

On a side note... I did find a Mini dealer in my town (it's about the size of a 7-11 store. Unfortunately they have no cars They're expecting arrival of their first one on May 27. They quoted me $39,000 US for a non-S, non drop top. I'm not clear on the equiped options but the taxes on imports are huge here.

Old 05-13-2007, 09:00 AM
BludyL
3rd Gear
One thing that I'm hadn't heard mentioned before is that the cigarette lighter appears to turn off when the car is completely turned off. I have a manual, and so there are two stages of power.

First is when you get in the car, you can press the Start button (I have comfort access so no key in the ignition), and radio, nav system, cigarette lighter, lights come on. I can also roll down windows, sunroof etc.

Then I start the engine, by pressing the clutch, and hitting Start. Then everything is on.

When I shut off, I hit start, and back to stage one, where cigarette lighter is still on, radio, nav, all that is still on.

Then I leave the car, lock it, and everything inside goes off.

I was sort of surprised by the cigarette lighter going off. Not really sure what design or engineering element is involved in that, but sometimes, I would have liked to have charged my cell phone or MP3 player in my car. Oh well. No big deal. Just thought I would mention that.

Old 05-13-2007, 09:11 AM
mufflethis
4th Gear
Originally Posted by BludyL
One thing that I'm hadn't heard mentioned before is that the cigarette lighter appears to turn off when the car is completely turned off. I have a manual, and so there are two stages of power.

First is when you get in the car, you can press the Start button (I have comfort access so no key in the ignition), and radio, nav system, cigarette lighter, lights come on. I can also roll down windows, sunroof etc.

Then I start the engine, by pressing the clutch, and hitting Start. Then everything is on.

When I shut off, I hit start, and back to stage one, where cigarette lighter is still on, radio, nav, all that is still on.

Then I leave the car, lock it, and everything inside goes off.

I was sort of surprised by the cigarette lighter going off. Not really sure what design or engineering element is involved in that, but sometimes, I would have liked to have charged my cell phone or MP3 player in my car. Oh well. No big deal. Just thought I would mention that.
I totally didn't know about that. I wonder if that's something that can be re-programmed I pretty much always charge my phone in my car.

Old 05-14-2007, 03:08 AM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I love that feature--saves me from the occasional times I forget to unplug the radar detector!