R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 how should i approach my MA for extras for free

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 09:54 AM
muse photos
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how should i approach my MA for extras for free

those of you that have gotten good freebies how did you approach your dealer? i want a free ipod connection and its a bit pricey but someone was able to get it for free and i don't see why i cant either...any suggestions?

Old 05-13-2007, 11:30 AM
4xAAA
6th Gear
"I want X, but not at that price. How are we gonna make that happen?" Works pretty good, but, it ain't guaranteed.
Flirting works, but it can backfire. Whole can of worms you can open there.
Blackmail is a good tactic, but requires a lot of preliminary work. Worth more mileage if you can pull it off. Might even get JCW thrown in!
Hostage negotiation never works out in the end. You don't want to be a "made for TV movie" for an IPod adapter.

Hey, I think an IPod adapter may be a bit pricey to get as a deal sweetener. Convincing your MA that it ain't is this trick. Good luck, hope you are successful.

Old 05-13-2007, 12:08 PM
thlaxx
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
most people only get the carpet mats for free, 100 dollar vaule.

after learning that they only sell msrp for all minis, i said hey, ive heard people can get the carpet mat, can you make that work? and she said yes, you can get the rubber or carpet, and i chose carpet...good choice!

Old 05-13-2007, 02:34 PM
mufflethis
4th Gear
Chances are that if something didn't get screwed up with your mini, like a missing item that you ordered or them doing something to the car that you asked not to be done like drilling holes for the license plate. You won't get much. However it never hurts to try.

Old 05-13-2007, 02:47 PM
oldtrojan66
4th Gear
Just my humble opinion, but I think it has something to do with economics! Until our beloved little go-karts are not in such amazing demand, the MAs in general won't feel the need to offer much in the way of freebies. One hopes there is nothing wrong with their car at delivery, and making up for a mistake is one of the best reasons I've heard for getting something for nothing. Notice you don't see free financing offers, or rebates, or other offers like the big four offer. They 're going under! MINI must be doing something right. What a great ride, and as long as that continues, I for one, will put up with just getting what I paid for! (which is really saying something, if you think about it!)

Old 05-13-2007, 05:20 PM
Loony2N
6th Gear
If someone got the ipod free, I would bet it was because something was wrong with the car or the order was wrong. Otherwise, you will be lucky to get floor mats. Perhaps you can slip your foot under a wheel when they pull the car up for you.

Old 05-13-2007, 05:35 PM
dbhouston
4th Gear
Floormats are a standard gimme. I managed to negotiate tinted windows and sunroof as well as a cut in the price of an invisible bra. But an iPod adapter? You need some serious dirt on your MA and/or his manager.
Even my MA said he wouldn't be selling many of them because they were just too expensive. I agreed with him and am waiting for an aftermarket solution. Until then, I use the AUX INPUT jack.

Old 05-13-2007, 06:28 PM
undertow
2nd Gear
My MCS is spec'd with the sports package, My MA Accidently added Web Spoke wheels, when I asked for Crown. He didn't notify me of this until after he said it was too late to change, I asked him to meet me halfway on the wheels difference in price from what i spec'd ($500) and throw in MCS Floor Mats, he said ok!

Kevin

Old 05-13-2007, 06:41 PM
jmelrose
5th Gear
Heh. If the iPod adapter actually works in my car next week, I'm hoping to at least get it for free, seeing as it kept my car away from me for 12 days. I wouldn't be surprised (and in fact I'd be pleased) if people were avoiding the adapter after some of the problems people have had with hte software install. At least it hasn't been just me, although my case seems to be becoming the most extreme I guess, as far as how wrong the software install can go. Getting the hardware and install for free would be great, and seems to be a logical "consequence" for the trouble it has caused so far.

However, I'm not expecting that. I've already paid for the adapter as part of the car purchase, so I dunno. The service manager said "BMW plans to give you a nice surprise for your trouble." I'd love to find they installed the software for the Sirius as well, as the car is pre-wired for it apparently, and I'd be back to "delighted" again. Sirus was the one option I REALLY wanted but couldn't get, and wasn't willing to wait an unknown amount of time for.

Anyway, to keep this post on-topic: I asked my dealer for the floor mats, a front windshield sunscreen, and the rubber boot mat. I pointed out that its value was 0.05% of the car, and that seemed a reasonable amount to ask as far as a discount goes. That angle might help, put things in perspective. He agreed to that before all the issues that came up with the delivery of the car. I ended up getting about twice that AFTER the issues with delivery came up, as a flat discount on the accessories.

Old 05-13-2007, 07:57 PM
remphoto
3rd Gear
I got the rubber mats free...asked for them after deal was negotiated and they quickly agreed. They also gave me a folding bag chair with the dealerships name on it (fits perfectly in the boot) and a couple rubber key chains with MINI on one side and the dealer's name on the other. Also, we drank about $20 worth of Starbucks and drinks from their refrigerator and I left about $35 worth of rubber on the road during test drives. <g>

Old 05-13-2007, 08:39 PM
Ken Cooper
4th Gear
Just mention that you've been reading on the NAM forum about people who have received gift items such as ipod adapters and floor mats from their dealership on receipt of their car. Then ask if this dealership is like those others that are mentioned on the NAM forum?

Old 05-13-2007, 08:54 PM
ENEMINI
2nd Gear
I walked in with a spreadsheet comparing MSRP with dealer invoice of my MCS as optioned (I'm an engineer, sometimes it pays to be a geek). They were also charging a $3000 markup fee. So I basically told the MA I'm not paying THAT much over invoice unless I get something for it. She looked me square in the eye and asked, "Alright, what would you like?" Stunned, I replied a roof rack, with roof travel box, installation, and that markup be reduced to $2000. Quick walk back to her manager, came back, "Sounds good, we'll get that all arranged for you."

Holy crap, how'd I do that?

Old 05-14-2007, 06:19 AM
rooandren
6th Gear
The worst is they'll think you're a little crazy, but that won't keep them from still giving you mats. Try comprimise, like maybe purchase the ipod connector but try to get freebie installation.

Don't forget to get a plush bulldog doll! I got that and two sets of mats (carpet are still on their way).

Old 05-14-2007, 06:21 AM
tdm156
Ruling the curves
I didnt have to ask for anything and I got free floor mats, key chains and 2 or 3 other things when I took delivery...plus I get just little freebies everytime I just drop by my MINI dealer.

Old 05-14-2007, 08:42 AM
muse photos
2nd Gear
thanks for all your replies guys...i know i am getting the mats already so whatever with those...so is the ipod connection worth it if there is hardware problems? i could use that as a lever for getting it for free heh heh...but then again i woudl rather not be hassled if its such a pain in the ***

Old 05-14-2007, 08:50 AM
doodlez
5th Gear
I just said to my MA, "I know that you guys aren't coming off of MSRP, but what kind of wiggle room is there otherwise? Why should I purchase from you rather than one of the other dealers also charging MSRP?" Without any further prodding he gave me a $200 accessory credit (used for stripes and rubber mats), two MINI baseball caps and a keychain. With everyone selling at MSRP, they have to compete for your business somehow!

Old 05-14-2007, 09:17 AM
Loui
4th Gear
IPod install $520 hear in North West. Its gives some additional functionality. I've gotten a few error messages, but unplugged it and rebooted the IPod and those messages went away. In my view, the aux input that already exists works just as well without the readout from the central binical.

Old 05-14-2007, 09:35 AM
COOP310
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just said that i wanted to buy X and Y, and wanted to pick them up with my MINI, but did not want them installed. Not only did my MA not charge me for X and Y, but the manager threw in A, B, and C for free. I guess it doesn't hurt to purchase 2 cars from the dealership, and be friendly with the management. I still manage to get a D or E on occasion, just for stopping by.

As for advise, I would just ask for what you want. You have already committed to purchasing the car, so I don't think you can go the "OK i will buy it if you throw in the iPod adapter" route. Maybe just be honest and say that you have heard of other dealers in the south florida area throwing in some cool freebies with the car and ask what they are willing to do. Or, ask for something to compensate for the delay on NFR.

Who is your dealer?

Old 05-14-2007, 11:39 AM
Frodo
3rd Gear
"how should i approach my MA for extras for free"

N...E...K...E...D

Old 05-21-2007, 05:25 PM
muse photos
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by COOP310
Who is your dealer?
south motors mini
my MA is this really cool body builder guy named brad crandall. he's really nice and understanding....so far no problems and would recommend him to my friends

Old 05-21-2007, 05:30 PM
AnyMiniMineyMo
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by muse photos
how should i approach my MA for extras for free?
With a gun, perhaps?

Old 05-21-2007, 09:02 PM
pico
2nd Gear
I asked for a watch, but I don't think he thought I was serious. Frankly, I haven't spoken with my MA much. Not feelin the love.