R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Turn Signal Issues?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 07:25 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Glad to hear you still intend to whine. I knew you'd come through. I got no problem with the turn signals. The similar design on the wipers has presented an issue though: The first time you push up the wiper stalk it turns the wipers to either intermittent or rain-sensing, depending which you have. If you decide you want to give the windshield a manually generated wipe, you have to push the stalk down. This cancels the intermittent/rain-sensing action. A bit annoying.

Old 05-17-2007, 07:31 AM
rooandren
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I almost had a panic attack trying to turn the wipers off for the first time! Now that I get how it works, I like it well enough.

Old 05-17-2007, 09:20 AM
lhyman
Neutral
Thanks for all the suggestions. I will try the same direction trick. It will be hard to unwire years of hardwon muscle memory. It was less of a whine and more of a confusion...

Yes. Signalling does seem to be a bit optional here. I am from Baltimore, though, and though Boston has some advantages, it is definitely not in the transportation infrastructure.

My favorite part is how the two main highways in the city, Storrow and 93, intersect at a RED LIGHT.

You would think some traffic engineer would have realized that might cause backups every single day.

And the roundabouts. Don't get me started...

Old 05-17-2007, 09:23 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
That reminds me of another one of those DUMB Boston expressions (sorry). It's not a red light; it's a traffic light. It's only red some of the time (though, I realize, it doesn't seem like it).

Old 05-17-2007, 12:43 PM
CSC.RCC
2nd Gear
Mine turns off too early sometimes, but I never have it stay on after any kind of directional turn.

My MA said that it didn't matter how you hit the stalk, either direction would cancel the steady blinking.

Old 05-17-2007, 12:45 PM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Originally Posted by CSC.RCC
Mine turns off too early sometimes, but I never have it stay on after any kind of directional turn.

My MA said that it didn't matter how you hit the stalk, either direction would cancel the steady blinking.
true, but if you hit it the opposite direction, you are likely to turn on the opposite signal. Easier to hit it the same direction as the signal that is on.

Old 05-17-2007, 12:47 PM
Skuzzy
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by rooandren
I almost had a panic attack trying to turn the wipers off for the first time! Now that I get how it works, I like it well enough.
ROFLMBO!!! I could rooandren with this panic look behind the wheel desparately seeking to find the off switch to the wipers. The rattled and frazzled look of someone at the end of thier rope about ready to grab the nearest large hammer and pound something into submission!!!

ROFLMBO!!!!

Hehe,.hmmm,..I think I got carried away, eh?

Old 05-21-2007, 07:38 AM
lhyman
Neutral
I tried the hitting the bar in the same direction as the turn to turn off the signal but it did not seem to work. Perhaps it has changed in the '07?

Old 05-21-2007, 07:55 AM
Skuzzy
OVERDRIVE
My default programming did not have the 3 flash thing enabled. After driving Romi for a few days, I think I may leave it off.

Oh, and rooandren, I see what yo mean by the windshiled wipers. It started raining this morning and I bumped them on, when it suddenly occurred to me, you actually have to keep count of the number of times you bump the arm so you can undo it to stop thiem.

I like how the wipers automatically go into intermittent mode when you are stopped though. Nice touch. I wish they had a dial to set the time delay in intermittent mode though. And I wish the switch for the wipers worked like a switch normally does.

Old 05-21-2007, 08:52 AM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by lhyman
I tried the hitting the bar in the same direction as the turn to turn off the signal but it did not seem to work. Perhaps it has changed in the '07?
Doesn't work for me, either.

Old 05-21-2007, 08:57 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Robin Casady
Doesn't work for me, either.
Is yours an 07? It works that way on mine, which is.

Old 05-21-2007, 09:04 AM
Skuzzy
OVERDRIVE
According to Robin's sig, it is an 07. Could be a different firmware version loaded in the computer.

I noticed some things about Romi's firmware which is inconsistent with the owner's manual (I cannot turn on the audible noise when I lock/unlock using the remote; Comfort Access: for example).

Old 05-21-2007, 09:07 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Glad mine has it, then. Much better to push in the same direction. I know what you mean about the wiper thing, Skuzzy. Though, it usually easy to tell. If they are going fast, they are in the fast position. If they are going slow, they are in the slow position....... I did, however, turn mine to rain sensing once without knowing it.

Old 05-21-2007, 09:08 AM
ukaussi
2nd Gear
I think pretty much all European manufactured cars have the 3 flash signal nowadays. My '04 545 had it and it was awesome, wifes' '06 Touareg has it (along with all the '07 VW's I drove before getting the mini)
Even a rental Ford minivan I drove in the UK a few years back had it.

Old 05-21-2007, 09:23 AM
Skuzzy
OVERDRIVE
Mine does not have it, by default and I do not recall a way to change that behavior.

When I went through the programming options in Romi, there seem to be very few things I could change. Most were just set the way they were set and you could only view them.

But then, the manual is sadly lacking and incorrect in many of the programmed aspects of the the car. At least mine is.

Old 05-21-2007, 10:39 AM
S325MINI
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Skuzzy
ROFLMBO!!! I could rooandren with this panic look behind the wheel desparately seeking to find the off switch to the wipers. The rattled and frazzled look of someone at the end of thier rope about ready to grab the nearest large hammer and pound something into submission!!!

ROFLMBO!!!!

Hehe,.hmmm,..I think I got carried away, eh?

Same thing happend to me the other day. I bumped the stalk and I turned things and pressed things.. and it sprayed juice out and went fast and slow.. I just had to stop at a little parking lot nearby and break out the manual. It was a minor panic attack only and I was the only car on the road, so didn't feel too bad. Still never thoroughly read the manual about it, and it doesn't look like rain anytime soon, so I gather at the next rain, I might have to break out the manual again.

Old 05-21-2007, 10:42 AM
S325MINI
1st Gear
I love that 3 blink feature. I only set it to full blink when I'm waiting to turn at a red light. I wish it was a 5 blink instead tho. 3 blinks is a little quick. Either that or I need to start my lane change faster. I'm still in newbie mode, so I'm driving tentative still. Hehe.

Old 05-21-2007, 05:18 PM
Sowellman
6th Gear
Originally Posted by S325MINI
I wish it was a 5 blink instead tho. 3 blinks is a little quick.
I would prefer five as well. Makes you seem more aggressive to move over quicker so you're in the other lane at three or the blinks stop and you're not in the lane yet.

Originally Posted by lhyman
I wasn't aware of that feature before, but I tried it over the weekend and it worked fine. Better than getting the other signal going by moving the stalk in the opposite direction.

Old 05-25-2007, 11:58 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well based on ample warning on the unique features of the system, I'd went in expecting things to work a bit different and I must, after a bit of adjusting, say I do like the system better than the previous one...both wipers and lights. Very nice, logical addition, imo.

Skuzzy......I have the same inability to access 3-flash (or audible tone when locking) just as you have. Since I'm around the corner form the dealership, I'll investigate today, okay?

Old 05-25-2007, 12:05 PM
Skuzzy
OVERDRIVE
Sure. I was going to wait until tomorrow to ask about it. Go for it. Soudns like our cars have the same firmware in them.

Old 05-25-2007, 12:08 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Skuzzy
Sounds like our cars have the same firmware in them.
I'll let you know what I find out via pm. Hey, at least I got the secret compartment!!!

Old 05-25-2007, 01:28 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Okay...got the 3-click enabled. Bryan in the service department went right to it. I'd be embarassed except that he's proven himself smarter than I time and time again...so kudos are due. It's all in clicking (right icon and brief click between modes)...but it does work. Gonna try the lock confirmation m'self.

Old 05-25-2007, 01:54 PM
Skuzzy
OVERDRIVE
Well now I feel stupid. I worked on that for 2 hours and tried every kind of push-hold-release-smirk I could think of. And I am a programmer! ARRRRRGGGHHHH!!!!

Old 05-25-2007, 04:01 PM
bljppi
Neutral
turn signal and wiper madness

Glad to see that I am not the only one confused. I only have 4000 miles on my 07 and I still cannot make out how to properly turn the turn signals off or on properly.
And dont get me started on the wipers. One click up for slow, two clicks up for intermittant, what happend to fast? 80 mph in the rain I need a lot of wiper action. What is it with the same logo on the wiper indicator for tow up= one down?
I have to get my teanager to either program the car for me or explain how it is supposed to work. As soon as he is done resetting all the clocks/remotes on the stove, microwave, tv, dvd player from the last round of power outages.
I supposed I could just go to Barnes and Nobles and get the latest copy of Turn Signals and Wipers for Dummies
A few more miles and I will be able to go back to the deler for an oil change and a programing tuneup?

Old 05-25-2007, 08:18 PM
Sowellman
6th Gear
Originally Posted by bljppi
Glad to see that I am not the only one confused.
I've found that ever since someone explained that you could cancel the turn signal by giving it a brief tug in the same direction that you originally went it works fine.

When I was going in the opposite direction to cancel, I just tripped the other one. That was madness.

The wipers haven't been a problem at all.

Quick Reply: R56 Turn Signal Issues?