R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Turn Signal Issues?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 09:50 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Robin Casady
Doesn't work for me, either.
OK, I figured out how the same direction cancellation works.

For the right-hand turn signal:
To start flashing, push the lever (that's pronounced "leever") all the way up.
To cancel only push part way up -- the same as to invoke the three flashes.
If you push it too far up it does not cancel. I was pushing it too far.

Old 05-25-2007, 11:27 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Robin Casady
I was pushing it too far.
It's all in the wrist, I suppose!!!

Old 05-25-2007, 11:38 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Originally Posted by gokartride
It's all in the wrist, I suppose!!!
You mean I was supposed to be using my hands?

Old 05-26-2007, 04:09 AM
Skuzzy
OVERDRIVE
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like and prefer the way Romi's signals are working. No 3-flash thingy. The only difference I detect is the typical Mini momentary switch effect. Seems they are very big on that.

Seems all very intuitive though for the signals.

I just am mystified as to what I am doing wrong as it pertains to programming Romi to act differently.

And Robin, there is no way in heck I am going to ask you what you had been using to toggle your switch. I am afraid that would be TMI.

Old 05-26-2007, 05:05 PM
Audioforever
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Defect?

I wonder if mine isn't working correctly. Turning right, pushing up once will cancel signal. Turning left, pushing down once will Not cancel signal , but pushing up will. Now is it worth the time to take to be checked? Ugh...

Old 05-26-2007, 06:25 PM
AndyCoop
3rd Gear
I am wondering too.....

I wanted to change my "lane" change signal option to 3 flashes when my MA told me I could do it. I go through the exact steps to SET/INFO then Push through the options til I get to the KEY symbol (which is actually different than the manual by the way - it's a key with a ruler-like symbol below the key - the book shows a key with a check mark), then from there it is suppose to go through all of the options like (mls to km), but the TURN signal symbol never shows up as you scroll through. So, I assumed perhaps it was because it was an option with one of the packages I did not get.

MCS - DSC, Premium - and that's it.

So I may need to give my MA a call.

Old 05-26-2007, 09:45 PM
crazynates
1st Gear
can somebody please simply tell me (ideally in a PM) how to set up this "3 flash option"? My turn sigs are driving me nutz also. Thanks in advance!
-Doug

Old 05-26-2007, 10:00 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
I have the NAV, and on mine, that is where it is set up. I have no idea how to set it up on non-NAV MINIs.

Old 05-27-2007, 03:09 AM
Skuzzy
OVERDRIVE
The car has to be running to get to the 'key with checkmark' icon. I can get to the options easy enough, but I cannot change anything. And in many casese I do not have the options available as shown in the manual.

I want to change Romi so she gives me an audible signal when I use the FOB to lock/unlock her. Now I do have comfort access, and may be that is the problem, but I inly show the 'kights flash' and 'off' options available to me.

Old 05-27-2007, 06:14 AM
Sowellman
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Skuzzy
I want to change Romi so she gives me an audible signal when I use the FOB to lock/unlock her.
Thankfully, that option isn't available on U.S. market cars. Why would you want to annoy the heck out of everyone just to confirm it's locked or unlocked?

The Brits can't understand why we feel the need to do that, when a flash of the lights is just as effective.

Old 05-27-2007, 06:18 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
A beep would help me out quite a bit (long story) but I don't think it is available either. Notification is w/ blinking lights only it seems.

Old 05-27-2007, 06:51 PM
AndyCoop
3rd Gear
I figured it out- by playing and re-reading the book. The book is actually accurate - but still a bit confusing. The "trick" was to get to "set/info" then hold - then push through the selections until you get to the ">>NEXT" option, again push and hold on the >>next option then the key with the check mark comes up which is the "next set" of options you can adjust which is where you can change the number blinks for lane change, the option to unlock all doors or just the driver's, daytime running lights option, and there was another option that I could not figure out. I just changed my number of blinks for the lane change and the option to unlock all the doors at once when you hit the unlock button on the key fob - wow that took a while

Old 06-09-2007, 06:42 PM
Need
4th Gear
On the MCS 07 I test drove, you turn off the turn singal by tapping it forward (away from you). I was changing lane, and the signal kept going, I tried moving the signal back the other way, but it turns on the other signal instead. So the guy just told me to tap it forward and it works. Is the one I drove has special programming? I didn't see anyone posts about it.

Old 06-09-2007, 07:01 PM
Mach V Dan
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by msh441
Just don't push it past the detent, or it will signal in the opposite direction.
That's the problem. At least on my car, the detent and the change in function are NOT at the same point. That is, you can not reach the detent point with the lever, and it still starts doing the non-momentary, I'm-making-a-left-turn mode. And then when you to cancel it, you may trigger the right-turn mode in the same way, even though you NEVER reached the detent point.

So basically, the action that you get does not always directly correspond with the feedback you get. Lack of feedback leads to the wrong action being performed.

Most should be able to get this with some practice.
Sure, and if I practice every day for a year, I could probably balance a bunch of spinning plates on a stick on my chin. But why should I have to do extra learning for this car? I think it's a poor design decision. I'm not saying I don't like the car. I just don't like the turn signals.

--Dan
Mach V
FastMINI.net

Old 06-09-2007, 07:02 PM
korby
6th Gear
Need , I didnt quite follow your post but just know once you get used to it which doesnt take long you wish all cars turn signals were like the new Mini.

Old 06-09-2007, 07:24 PM
Need
4th Gear
Originally Posted by korby
Need , I didnt quite follow your post but just know once you get used to it which doesnt take long you wish all cars turn signals were like the new Mini.
The one I test drove:

Up: Right Signal
Down: Left Signal
Forward (toward the dash): Cancel Signal

It is not difficult to learn, but it seems different that what people are saying here.

Old 06-09-2007, 07:34 PM
korby
6th Gear
I never tried forward I'll try next time.

Old 06-09-2007, 07:39 PM
korby
6th Gear
OK, tried forward doesnt do anything.

Old 06-09-2007, 08:02 PM
Need
4th Gear
Originally Posted by korby
OK, tried forward doesnt do anything.
That's why it is so strange. I wonder if the one I test drove has new programming or something. When I was test driving, I switch lanes a lot. I was having a really hard time turning off the turn signal until I was told to push it forward or (could be pull it backward). I was pretty sure it was forward but it could be backward toward me, it has been 2 weeks since my test drive.

Old 06-09-2007, 08:54 PM
korby
6th Gear
Backward turns on brights.

Old 06-09-2007, 11:09 PM
chainfire
2nd Gear
LOL

today was my first day with my mini and after 150 miles and lots of lane changes i still look like a fool with my turn signals have not found the sweet spot to turn them off without activating them in other direction

Old 06-10-2007, 02:28 AM
msh441
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Mach V Dan
That's the problem. At least on my car, the detent and the change in function are NOT at the same point. That is, you can not reach the detent point with the lever, and it still starts doing the non-momentary, I'm-making-a-left-turn mode. And then when you to cancel it, you may trigger the right-turn mode in the same way, even though you NEVER reached the detent point.
Buggered lever (or leever)? Or the switch inside, perhaps?

Old 06-10-2007, 03:48 AM
Skuzzy
OVERDRIVE
Or a bug in the sodtware. My turn signals have acted perfectly fine since day one. The detent requires a firm push to get passed it so I have yet to activate full when I wanted temporary. Toggling temporray to turn them off has worked as well.

The only difference between these turn signals ann a normal car, is the lever returns back to center when I activate tham. That has been the only difference I can tell.

Side note: I have never seen a car with sooooo many momentary switches in it.

Old 06-13-2007, 12:26 PM
LadyAquila
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by S325MINI
Same thing happend to me the other day. I bumped the stalk and I turned things and pressed things.. and it sprayed juice out and went fast and slow.. I just had to stop at a little parking lot nearby and break out the manual. It was a minor panic attack only and I was the only car on the road, so didn't feel too bad. Still never thoroughly read the manual about it, and it doesn't look like rain anytime soon, so I gather at the next rain, I might have to break out the manual again.
After reading this, I'm particularly happy that I got the rain sensing wipers as part of a package! Just turn it on once and leave them!