R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 The Speedo

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2007, 05:13 AM
Phil K
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Speedo

The speedo seems to be many folks' least favorite part of the new MINI's interior design. Just curious, does anyone truly like the design or have grown to like it? For me I kinda' like the funky nature of the beast. I don't necessarily like the proprietary nature of the audio and other items being stuffed into it, but beyond that I'm okay with it. Of course I won't know what it's like to live with the speedo until I get my MINI (sorry Skuzzy, I couldn't resist).

Old 05-19-2007, 05:41 AM
colea
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In my opinion, a speedometer the size of a dinner plate is a bit much. But now that my sat/nav is finally working (yea!), the map display makes really good use of that space...everyone in the car (and anyone tailgating) can see the map. The passenger can easily play with the joystick to change scale, get other information, and generally amuse themselves while the driver concentrates on motoring.

Bottom line: I really like the combo.

Old 05-19-2007, 05:45 AM
korby
6th Gear
I dont hate it.I bought it for the way it drives 1st. ,exterior looks 2nd.. The speedo could have been 3 feet in diameter and sitting in my lap and I still would have bought it!

Old 05-19-2007, 06:01 AM
lava
5th Gear
I love it! And FWIW I believe the actual area of the 56 speedo is smaller than the 50/53 once you subract out the radio/OBC interface...

Old 05-19-2007, 09:01 AM
Skuzzy
OVERDRIVE
I think it is cool. Quirky. I lub it!

Phil K, if you are going to whine, put some heart into it man!

Old 05-19-2007, 09:07 AM
diaemus
2nd Gear
I like it it's one of those things that make the mini unique. A little worthless, but you can see it on the tach anyways.

Old 05-19-2007, 09:21 AM
rover
3rd Gear
I think the speedo is a courteous design feature. The driver in the car behind you can easily read it.

Old 05-19-2007, 09:33 AM
Sowellman
6th Gear
As a first-time buyer, I like it just fine. I think a lot of the poeple who detest it are comparing it to the previous models and it just seems too big to them.

It would be hard to get used to it if you had to keep glancing at the speedo to check your speed. But with the digital readout on the tachometer, that works perfectly good for me.

I also have the sat nav and the large size of the speedo accommodates that perfectly.

Old 05-19-2007, 09:53 AM
sweeper
Neutral
I was a little unsure at first. I thought my 03 MCS had a big speedo when I first got it. It has grown on me and now,I like it better than speedometer on my 03.

Besides, its MINI's way of making the vehicle a car for all ages. There is no need for bifocals

Sweeper
07 MCS Laser Blue/W/Stripes

Old 05-19-2007, 10:07 AM
S325MINI
1st Gear
The only drawback will be when the police officer stops me and asks me how fast i was going. I won't be able to lie, because he can clearly see how fast I was going even w/o the radar gun. =) I love the design.

Old 05-19-2007, 10:27 AM
Ken Cooper
4th Gear
It's large for good reason. It's important that you provide something obvious but harmless for reviewers to gang up on. Otherwise they'll search in detail for things to attack that count, things like engine, transmission, suspension, ride, comfort, or quality.

In my eyes it comes across as a good example of funky art deco. It provides character. It's the form .. The digital readout on the tach provides the function. I like it.

Old 05-19-2007, 10:41 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good points all... I like it, too...the speedo in my '03 looks small-ish now. More than anything, I really like the way the speedo breaks up the dash lines and how it is let into the dash. Very classy...liked it from day one.

I will say, the R50/53 dash seems more business-like to me...more gauge-ish...more tick marks, temp and gas needles, all in a smaller place. So there is still much to like about the earlier speedo. However, R56's has more "white space" and is easier to read.

Given the assortment of plusses and minuses...both are cool in their own way, and I do like R56 for a whole other set of reasons than why I still like R50/53's. Given a choice......nope......can't do it.

Old 05-19-2007, 10:53 AM
Phil K
3rd Gear
Good, I'm glad to read all your posts. I started to think something was off about me (well, that still may be true) because I like the speedo.

Skuzzy, in an attempt to build my confidence and develop my own personal style, I'm going to have to practice in seclusion until I feel ready for a serious prime time whine. Thanks for all you've taught me

Old 05-19-2007, 11:06 AM
JohnBLZ
5th Gear
I'm driving a loaner 06 MC and having trouble adjusting to the smaller Speedo... I miss my R56!!

Old 05-19-2007, 02:24 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Funny, I have a friend who has needed a loaner for an extended period of time and she kept saying she missed her R53! She disliked the R56 because it rode too smooth, seats needed more support, was too much like a BMW, etc...

Guess the people on the '07 forum like the R56s.

As for the speedo, I'm of mixed feelings. I'm not used to a center speedo. I use the OBC.

Old 05-19-2007, 04:14 PM
turnkey
1st Gear
I know it might sound crazy, but one of the reasons I went with the Nav (a $2100 option!) was because of the speedo. Don't get me wrong, I wanted the Nav anyway, but I did think the speedo was a little overwhelming by itself.

Lloyd

Old 05-19-2007, 04:29 PM
ygblat
4th Gear
The R56 design, both interior and exterior, has really grown on me over the past few months. When I ordered, I was quite apprehensive about the aesthetic elements of the Mini but now I am absolutely enamoured with them, and I don't even have my car yet!

Old 05-19-2007, 04:38 PM
JohnBLZ
5th Gear
Originally Posted by daffodildeb
Funny, I have a friend who has needed a loaner for an extended period of time and she kept saying she missed her R53! She disliked the R56 because it rode too smooth, seats needed more support, was too much like a BMW, etc...

Guess the people on the '07 forum like the R56s.

As for the speedo, I'm of mixed feelings. I'm not used to a center speedo. I use the OBC.

Does she have the sports seats in the loaner R56? I've got the base seats in the 06 MC I'm in...feels like a bench seat to me compared to the R56 seats.

I can tell the difference in the 06 MC suspension vs the Sports suspension in my R56 MCS...back end is kinda stiff but overall it's pretty soft, but drives light.

Old 05-19-2007, 05:55 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
All the design elements in the R56 are big and carefree; the big speedo/audio circle is all part of the party.

Old 05-19-2007, 05:58 PM
Skuzzy
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by Phil K
<snip>Skuzzy, in an attempt to build my confidence and develop my own personal style, I'm going to have to practice in seclusion until I feel ready for a serious prime time whine. Thanks for all you've taught me
It's a good man that knows when he needs to practice what comes naturally to others.

Old 05-19-2007, 07:52 PM
mommashine
4th Gear
i dig it... however it now means that i can no longer lie to my riders about how fast i'm REALLY going... lol...

Old 05-19-2007, 09:55 PM
MiniMademoiselle
2nd Gear
I am so head-over-heels in love with my MCS that it doesn't bother me one bit. To me, it's quintessential Mini. I have a Nav, so I do think that the two are a perfect match.

A million people could think it looked ridiculous, but I'd still love it. Remember, love is blind

Old 05-20-2007, 12:05 AM
dneal
4th Gear
My biggest gripe with the size of the speedo is the design at the top. I liked how the dash on the R50/R53 contoured over the speedo, where it's kind of cut out for the R56 speedo.

It's not that big of a deal though...

Old 05-20-2007, 12:51 AM
msh441
6th Gear
I like the size. Really, only the upper 2/3 is the speedo, per-se. It's silly big, but so was the R50/53 when I first saw it. Now the R53's seems old hat and almost kind of small to me.

I don't like the fact that the audio controls/stereo is intigrated into it... but the look of the design is nice. Kind of a "floating-in-glass" effect with the buttons.

I dislike the look of the controls on the center console below the speedo. It's really only one of two things I dislike about the new car (the other being the gawdy chrone side repeaters). The positives however FAR outweight two minor cosmetic issues.

Old 05-20-2007, 09:40 AM
MINIFVR
6th Gear
Originally Posted by msh441
I like the size. Really, only the upper 2/3 is the speedo, per-se. It's silly big, but so was the R50/53 when I first saw it. Now the R53's seems old hat and almost kind of small to me.

I don't like the fact that the audio controls/stereo is intigrated into it... but the look of the design is nice. Kind of a "floating-in-glass" effect with the buttons.

I dislike the look of the controls on the center console below the speedo. It's really only one of two things I dislike about the new car (the other being the gawdy chrone side repeaters). The positives however FAR outweight two minor cosmetic issues.
I agree, the controls below the speedo take a little away from the 'speedo-only' look. I think they could size the speedo down just a tad, like it was on the R53

Quick Reply: R56 The Speedo