R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Can YOU reset the Flat Tire Monitor?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 12:35 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Can YOU reset the Flat Tire Monitor?

Every time you change the pressure in the tires, or change tires, you are supposed to reset the Flat Tire Monitor. See page 68 of the manual for instructions.

When I attempt to follow those instructions, I push the turn signal stalk OBC button until it comes to SET/INFO and then hold it. That takes me to several options like resetting the time and date, checking the maintenance schedule, etc. However, one of the options is supposed to be reset the Flat Tire Monitor. I don't see any such option. It just isn't there.

I'd like to know who can see the option and who cannot on their R56. With your response it would also be useful to know:

1. Do you have the NAV option?
2. Do you have Bluetooth Integration?
3. Do you have the Multi-function Steering Wheel?
4. Do you have DSC?
5. Do you have LSD?
6. Do you have the HIFI upgrade?
7. Do you have an MCS?

I cannot see the option on my MCS with NAV, Bluetooth, MFSW, DSC, LSD, and HIFI upgrade.

Old 05-26-2007, 01:49 PM
msh441
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Robin Casady
I'd like to know who can see the option and who cannot on their R56. With your response it would also be useful to know:

1. Do you have the NAV option?
2. Do you have Bluetooth Integration?
3. Do you have the Multi-function Steering Wheel?
4. Do you have DSC?
5. Do you have LSD?
6. Do you have the HIFI upgrade?
7. Do you have an MCS?

I cannot see the option on my MCS with NAV, Bluetooth, MFSW, DSC, LSD, and HIFI upgrade.
Yes, I've done it once, allready. I will get the specifics shortly, but as optiong go:

1. No
2. No
3. Yes
4. Yes
5. Yes
6. Yes
7. Yes

I will update the specifics on the menus I see when I get back.

Old 05-26-2007, 01:55 PM
Skuzzy
OVERDRIVE
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It is a bit confusing to me, but I have stumbled across the reset option for the flat tire monitor. There are two different icons when you hit the 'set info' menu option. I am recalling this from memory, so I may not be expressing this correctly.

I think you have to do a quick one more time at the first 'set info' option to get to the second icon. Then you can find the tire reset thingy.

Disclaimer: I am trying to be helpful, but keep in mind I have yet to be able to change a single option in Romi's computer. Nothing works as documented for me as it pertains to the computer. I think they saw me coming and went EEEEEEK! YOU CANNOT ALLOW HIM TO HAVE CONTROL!!! ARRRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHH

Last edited by Skuzzy; 05-26-2007 at 01:57 PM.
Old 05-26-2007, 04:13 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Skuzzy
I think you have to do a quick one more time at the first 'set info' option to get to the second icon. Then you can find the tire reset thingy.
Not sure I follow you, but when I get into the SET/INFO section the only options are a check of some kind (tried it and it replies "OK"), service schedule (doesn't want an oil change for another 16,000 miles), set the clock, set the date, home.

Old 05-26-2007, 06:54 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Skuzzy
I think they saw me coming and went EEEEEEK! YOU CANNOT ALLOW HIM TO HAVE CONTROL!!!
Perhaps Zues himself set Romi's controls. Seems plausible.

Old 05-26-2007, 07:24 PM
Mach V Dan
Former Vendor
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As far as I can tell, you don't have to reset it unless there's an error -- that is, there's no "reset" option unless it's been pointing out that one tire is rotating faster or slower than the others.

From experience, if you just remedy the problem and keep driving, the error message will go away by itself.

--Dan
Mach V
FastMINI.net

Old 05-26-2007, 07:56 PM
Sowellman
6th Gear
Reset procedure

1. Start the engine, but do not drive.

2. Press the stalk until "Set/Info" appears.

3. Press and hold the button until the display changes.

4. Briefly press the button repeatedly until the tire symbol and the word "RESET" appears.

5. Press and hold the button until the display changes.

6. Start driving.

Old 05-26-2007, 08:24 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Sowellman
1. Start the engine, but do not drive.

2. Press the stalk until "Set/Info" appears.

3. Press and hold the button until the display changes.

4. Briefly press the button repeatedly until the tire symbol and the word "RESET" appears.

5. Press and hold the button until the display changes.

6. Start driving.
Yup, that's what the manual says. I get past 3, but no RESET appears. Have you actually tried it? Did you get the RESET option?

Old 05-26-2007, 08:26 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Mach V Dan
As far as I can tell, you don't have to reset it unless there's an error -- that is, there's no "reset" option unless it's been pointing out that one tire is rotating faster or slower than the others.

From experience, if you just remedy the problem and keep driving, the error message will go away by itself.

--Dan
Mach V
FastMINI.net
Hmm, the manual makes me think I'm supposed to reset it with new tires. I'm tempted to let some air out of one tire and see if it notices.

Old 05-26-2007, 08:40 PM
snkbte
3rd Gear
Yup, that's what the manual says. I get past 3, but no RESET appears. Have you actually tried it? Did you get the RESET option?
I had to do mine today. Put my new tires on yesterday afternoon. The light came on last night,and I read the manual today,followed the directions in the manual, and the light is out and has stayed out. Little confusing,but once you do it once, the next time will be easy.
I have a little triangle next to the (preceding) the milege trip odometer that I can't seem to g turn off. Also my light on the dash shows up for my rear fog light being on, which is very strange cause I do not have rear fog lights( or switch) on my car. I'll try again tomorrow. FUN !

Old 05-26-2007, 08:52 PM
Sowellman
6th Gear
Robin,

I swapped a set of wheels today but hadn't reset the flat monitoring system until after your post saying you couldn't get it to work.

My manual says I can use the turn signal indicator stock or the onboard monitor, but I'm thinking the second option is only for those of us with the navigation system. That gives us a joystick down by the shifter and shows the options on the speedo screen.

As a result, I tried using the turn signal stalk method and wasn't any more successful than you. I followed the instructions I listed before and never could get the tire tread icon to come up. Didn't work.

I was able to go to the onboard monitor and reset the system there, but my manual clearly said I could do it by either of the two methods. So evidently there must be something up with the stalk method.

Old 05-26-2007, 09:05 PM
snkbte
3rd Gear
I don't have the NAV,so maybe that is why the stalk worked fine for me.

Old 05-26-2007, 09:44 PM
I_M_Stig
1st Gear
Hmm, I think was able to access the menu by turning on the ignition without starting the engine. On my car (manual trans) I press the start/stop button without depressing the clutch, then hit the SET/INFO menu. Is there another way to get to the tire monitor reset? Not sure what I'd try if I had an auto trans...

Old 05-26-2007, 10:46 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Sowellman
I was able to go to the onboard monitor and reset the system there, but my manual clearly said I could do it by either of the two methods. So evidently there must be something up with the stalk method.
Thanks, that was the hint I needed. Yes, it is in the NAV screen as "FTM". I had seen the FTM option before swapping wheels, but it had not been available, I didn't realize what it was and just assumed it was for an option I didn't have.

I suspect the manual doesn't correctly reflect the state of the NAV equipt. MINI's software, rather than it being a fault in the software. No real reason to have it in two places.

Old 05-27-2007, 06:10 AM
Sowellman
6th Gear
I suspect the manual doesn't correctly reflect the state of the NAV equipt. MINI's software, rather than it being a fault in the software. No real reason to have it in two places.
Yes, you're probably correct. But it's maddening sometimes that the manual is so poorly put together. If there was only one manual, plus a navigation supplement, then I could understand it. But when they integrated the two for those with the sat nav, then you would think it would all square.

That's what happens when you try to translate a foreign languate into American English, I presume.

Old 05-27-2007, 07:03 AM
Skuzzy
OVERDRIVE
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The problem with the manual is they have a technical writer doing the programming section of the documentation when they really need is someone who writes software documentation for a living.

Similar as follows:

Function: Resetting Tire Monitor
Requirement: With Nav system

Blah, blah blah.

Reuirement: Without Nav system

Bla, blah, blah.
--

Basically, they just need to explain each function along and list its dependencies to make it easier to find what you need. In some cases I am sure there are interoperability issues with different options. Listing the dependencies makes it easier to write and update the documentation.

Got a new option whih changes some other option? Great, create a new section and add it to the manual. They could do a loose leaf manual and only stick in what the car needs based on what is ordered. That would add another potential source of error, but all they need do is make sure the dealers all had the sections of the manual they need so they could correct any problem.

Or when the dealer added an option after delievery, they could supply the new section of the manual.

Just a thought.