R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Other drivers can't see my car!

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 04:57 PM
irieman
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My MINI has made me a near expert in "Defensive Driving". Rule #1: No one is paying attention!

I've also become a habitual "daytime running lights" guy. Only, I don't have the automatic D.R.L., so I always forget to turn them off! *doh!*)

Old 05-27-2007, 06:07 PM
Skuzzy
OVERDRIVE
Well, I am going to say something I never have said and will not ever say again.

A lot of people make fun of how I have personified Romi. Not here on NAM so much, but the people around me. Now, as I have said, I rode motorcycles for a number of years and never had an accident. I put over one million miles on 2 wheels without a scratch.

For me, the secret has been to personify the vehicle. I am more likely to protect something I hold near and dear. And when I do that with a vehicle, it comes back in the form of me protecting not only myself, but any passengers in/on my vehicle.

t know this might sound silly to a lot of people and the down side is if anyone hits Romi, then lord help em. It will be like running over a member of my family and I probably will act in kind.

Romi has brought back the passion for driving I lost when I quit riding motorcycles. She help me to find my missing child stashed away in the corner of my soul. Dunt(tm) mess with Romi.

Ok, there, I said it. Now, let's get back to some serious whining!!!

Old 05-27-2007, 06:59 PM
naruto16
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
Strange but a reasonable explaination!

Old 05-27-2007, 07:10 PM
Skuzzy
OVERDRIVE
Dunt(tm) make me hurt you.

Old 05-27-2007, 07:17 PM
tomm9050
3rd Gear
I was thinking of getting a antenna flag like sand rails use on the dunes.

nobody respects (or sees) the Mini

Old 05-27-2007, 07:23 PM
amazingrando
Auto on Sport Button guy
Originally Posted by Skuzzy
Well, I am going to say something I never have said and will not ever say again.

A lot of people make fun of how I have personified Romi. Not here on NAM so much, but the people around me. Now, as I have said, I rode motorcycles for a number of years and never had an accident. I put over one million miles on 2 wheels without a scratch.

For me, the secret has been to personify the vehicle. I am more likely to protect something I hold near and dear. And when I do that with a vehicle, it comes back in the form of me protecting not only myself, but any passengers in/on my vehicle.

t know this might sound silly to a lot of people and the down side is if anyone hits Romi, then lord help em. It will be like running over a member of my family and I probably will act in kind.

Romi has brought back the passion for driving I lost when I quit riding motorcycles. She help me to find my missing child stashed away in the corner of my soul. Dunt(tm) mess with Romi.

Ok, there, I said it. Now, let's get back to some serious whining!!!
So there's a method to your madness! Believe me I Wunt(tm) mess with Romi. So, Whine on. or is that Motor on? I wouldn't know....because I DON'T HAVE MY CAR YET!!!!! Grrrrrr....

Old 05-27-2007, 07:44 PM
Skuzzy
OVERDRIVE
You can only find what you seek using patience, a lot of spare time, and a shovel. Of course, you could hit a gas pocket and blow yourself up too. It's a carp shoot.

Old 05-27-2007, 11:26 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by djam43
Are you having problems with the horizontal cover or the vertical cover . Where did you locate the device?. The horizontal cover will snap back on with a little bit of "thumb pressure and push" if the cable is not in the way ( make sure that the cable is not blocking the tab.) I am mounting mine in the right trim enclosure, plenty of room there as there is no cable loom like on the left side.
Horizontal cover at the top of the window. The circuit is on the left side of the lights, but I can't get the tab on the right side to snap in either. Perhaps I need a very warm day. In this 60 degree weather the plastic is pretty stiff.

Old 05-27-2007, 11:52 PM
radiospace
2nd Gear
I was sitting at a sidewalk cafe a couple of years ago and watched a soccermom in a large SUV pull up to a perfect stop at the crosswalk of a red light.

I mean, it would have been a perfect stop if there had been no other vehicle already waiting at the light in front of her... but there was: a guy on a motorcycle.

Her SUV was so big that its front bumper went over the rear wheel of the motorcycle and bumped into the rear of his seat. He lept off the bike and the bike kept standing up, because the rear wheel was wedged firmly under the bumper of the SUV. The bike rider was uninjured but highly (and justifiably) aggravated. I could hear her trying to explain: "I didn't see you there!". It was broad daylight by the way. At least with a MINI you've got a backseat between you and the idiots. (You *knew* that backseat was good for something, didn't you?)

Old 05-28-2007, 02:57 AM
Skuzzy
OVERDRIVE
Back seats? Ohhhhh,...wait,..you mean the padded vertical boot space dividers?

Old 05-28-2007, 05:39 AM
BludyL
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Skuzzy
That is when the policeman told me this was the fourth time this woman had been involved in a rear end collision. When I had told him my little foray, his comment was, "Good move". My underlying thought was, "Why the heck is this woman still allowed to drive at all!?!?"
Wow! The Mini gods have smiled upon Romi. What a vexing issue, though. This woman clearly NEEDS to drive, and we as freedom loving Americans certainly can't stop her from driving. I guess the only way is if Mandatory Auto Insurance increases her premiums to the point where she can't afford to drive any more.

Hate to say it, but at least it was the Mustang and not you, Skuzzy. The thought of Romi being in an accident, if you listen you can actually HEAR my skin crawl. The amount of whining from you would overwhelm the NAM forum servers...

Old 05-28-2007, 05:49 AM
CeeTee1
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by amazonracer
I don't have my car yet but I try to spot other minis and small cars in general to see what my perception is of those cars on the road. IMO, the car isn't that small in regards to someone not seeing you. If they hit you, they would have hit any car. That being said, I agree that you have to drive like everyone is trying to hit you like a game show and if you can hit a mini, you win the grand prize.
I have never had to be as defensive in my driving as I am in my mini. Probably due to the fact that this is my first small car. The other day I was waiting at a light when I noticed a car pulling out of a driveway on my right side. It was clear that the driver did not see me so I leaned on the horn until the driver poked his head out the window and saw me sitting in back of him. There was a car directly in front of me and a car directly to my rear so I could not move out of the lane. That was a close one!

Last edited by CeeTee1; 05-28-2007 at 05:51 AM.
Old 05-28-2007, 06:16 AM
Skuzzy
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by BludyL
<snip>Hate to say it, but at least it was the Mustang and not you, Skuzzy. The thought of Romi being in an accident, if you listen you can actually HEAR my skin crawl. The amount of whining from you would overwhelm the NAM forum servers...
But the quality of the whines would have beenm exquisite.

Old 05-28-2007, 06:28 AM
cadfael_tex
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
X

Last edited by cadfael_tex; 05-28-2007 at 09:45 AM. Reason: don't need to crap
Old 05-28-2007, 07:08 AM
dickdavid
6th Gear
Originally Posted by CeeTee1
I have been a Mini owner since March of this year. I have driven about 3000 miles in this car and I have begun to notice that other drivers seem to have a problem spotting my car on the road. I have found myself having to hit the horn in order to gain other drivers attention more than I have ever had to before with any other car. The other day I was rear ended by a man while attempting to merge with traffic on a highway. He claims he didn't notice my car in front of him. This is probably due to him relying on peripheral vision instead of looking ahead. The damage was minor but it started me thinking that perhaps not being seen is more common than I would have expected. Has anyone else experienced this issue?
That actually sucks pretty bad. He was probably, trying to text on his cell phone. I hope you get it repaired soon.

Last edited by dickdavid; 05-29-2007 at 04:29 AM.
Old 05-28-2007, 09:28 AM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Originally Posted by cadfael_tex
I got my soccer mom wife a blue tooth ear piece - does that help
Not really. Driving while talking on the phone is not much different than driving drunk. If you are thinking about what you are saying, you are not paying attention to driving. Hands free phones give you both hands, but the brain wont be available to send them commands.

Old 05-28-2007, 09:56 AM
mini4rb
2nd Gear
I'm not sure on a MINI (mine doesn't have them activated), but it's my understanding that DRLs don't turn on any lights to the rear. That's why when CA adopted 'wipers on = lights on' they stated headlights.

Old 05-28-2007, 11:26 AM
Ken Cooper
4th Gear
Originally Posted by mini4rb
I'm not sure on a MINI (mine doesn't have them activated), but it's my understanding that DRLs don't turn on any lights to the rear. That's why when CA adopted 'wipers on = lights on' they stated headlights.
I mentioned the following on an earlier thread:

"The only difference between daytime running lights and turning on your headlights on the R56 is, with daytime running lights the interior instrument and mood lighting is not turned on. So .. If I wasn't able to figure out how to do the programming (or if my programming feature didn't work) I would just leave the headlights on. Heck, they turn off automatically when you leave your car anyhow."

Please .. before responding, assuming you own an R56, see what happens when when you do activate your DRLs. Then .. Please report back.

And again .. Since enabling my daytime running lights (DRLs) I've found there's no difference in the degree of defensive driving needed between driving my MCS and driving the Audis, Saabs, and Prius I drove prior to buying this car.

Last edited by Ken Cooper; 05-28-2007 at 12:20 PM.
Old 05-28-2007, 08:58 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I like the daytime running lights; hubby does not. I feel it makes the car "look" bigger, and cars don't pull in front of it as often. Makes a big difference on the country roads I often drive on, IMO.

As an aside, I had a case of true road rage the other day, by a Viper, of all things. Fortunately I was alert and avoided the accident he clearly wished on me, but it was close. Haven't had a case like that in years...

Old 05-28-2007, 09:12 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Originally Posted by daffodildeb
Fortunately I was alert and avoided the accident he clearly wished on me, but it was close.
Did he wish to be part of that accident? Or, just force you into it. Do tell. Inquiring minds want to know.

Old 05-28-2007, 09:14 PM
gaston
2nd Gear
Defensive driving

I learned a lot about defensive driving from riding a motorcycle, and enrolling in motorcycle safety foundation classes. On a bike you should try to be conspicuous, and always assume no one sees you. I continue to apply these lessons in my min. For example, I look both ways before entering an intersection, even when I have right of way. I look in my mirror before I stop. Etc.

While cars are gettig safer, I wonder if the dangers are getting a bit worse because of the size differentials in the vehicles on the road (my mini vs the giant gas-guzzling SUVs I'm surrounded by) and because of all the distractions and insulations: cell phones, music, and most drivers drive with their windows closed even when the weather is nice. I've usually got my windows and roof open here in northern california, so I can hear what is happening, but most drivers are sealed up, yacking on the phone; driving is secondary to them.

Finally I think most drivers do not look on driving as a skill, one to be practiced and improved upon, but just as a way to get from A to B. Part of the attraction of the mini is it brings you more into contact with the driving.

Sorry for the long post.

- James

Old 05-28-2007, 09:48 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Robin, he didn't "want" to be passed (he was slower than traffic flow), so he sped up and passed me partly in my lane and partly on the rough emergency road, trying to force me into the side of a truck. Then he brake-checked me. Nuts.

Old 05-28-2007, 11:21 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Originally Posted by daffodildeb
Robin, he didn't "want" to be passed (he was slower than traffic flow), so he sped up and passed me partly in my lane and partly on the rough emergency road, trying to force me into the side of a truck. Then he brake-checked me. Nuts.
Assault with a deadly weapon.

Old 05-28-2007, 11:33 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Originally Posted by gaston
I learned a lot about defensive driving from riding a motorcycle, and enrolling in motorcycle safety foundation classes. On a bike you should try to be conspicuous, and always assume no one sees you. I continue to apply these lessons in my min. For example, I look both ways before entering an intersection, even when I have right of way. I look in my mirror before I stop. Etc.
Defensive driving is good.

While cars are gettig safer, I wonder if the dangers are getting a bit worse because of the size differentials in the vehicles on the road (my mini vs the giant gas-guzzling SUVs I'm surrounded by) and because of all the distractions and insulations: cell phones, music, and most drivers drive with their windows closed even when the weather is nice. I've usually got my windows and roof open here in northern california, so I can hear what is happening, but most drivers are sealed up, yacking on the phone; driving is secondary to them.
I think that technology is making driving safer, but drivers may be eating into some of that advancement. I think cel phones are a major hazard. I had a girl tailgating me on Hwy 101 at 75 mph. I slowed down and she backed off. Then she was right back on my tail. I had to slow down to about 45 before she went around me.

Finally I think most drivers do not look on driving as a skill, one to be practiced and improved upon, but just as a way to get from A to B. Part of the attraction of the mini is it brings you more into contact with the driving.

Sorry for the long post.

- James
Yea, look at the cars so many people drive. They are made to be cushy, not fun to drive. I drove a rental Honda Accord while my MINI was getting worked on. Man, that car has evolved into a Valium Vehicle.

What long post?

Old 05-29-2007, 01:26 AM
cadfael_tex
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wish I could get my DRLs turned on. Requested when I picked up the car and when I got the car serviced, blank look both times and wasn't on when I picked it up.

Quick Reply: R56 Other drivers can't see my car!