R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Daytime running lights - on or off?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 09:33 AM
AnyMiniMineyMo
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Daytime running lights - on or off?

I just got an e-mail from MINI asking me my programming preferences. On the issue of daytime running lights, my inclination is to not activate them. But, I've been reading on other threads that other cars sometimes don't see MINIs (like motorcycles) and collide into them. So, the upside would be greater daytime visability. The downside (I suppose) is quicker bulb burnout and replacement.

What did you decide and why?

Last edited by AnyMiniMineyMo; 05-27-2007 at 09:39 AM.
Old 05-27-2007, 09:38 AM
bart5467
4th Gear
My DRL's are not activated but i always drive w/ my lights on
you can very easily chage it when you get the car no biggie

Old 05-27-2007, 09:40 AM
korby
6th Gear
Have them on !

Old 05-27-2007, 09:42 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
None for me in this MINI or my previous one. Few people use them around here.

Old 05-27-2007, 10:20 AM
Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mine DRL are activated to be off every time my car starts. I use my lights as the conditions warrant.

If you feel the need, then by all means have them activated. Your car your choice.

Old 05-27-2007, 10:48 AM
msh441
6th Gear
DRLs "Off".

But except for the clear blue-sky, sunny days, I usually drive with parking lights and front fogs "On".

Old 05-27-2007, 10:57 AM
manifest
3rd Gear
Off. Seems like a waste of bulb life to have lights on during the day.

Old 05-27-2007, 11:01 AM
AnyMiniMineyMo
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by manifest
Yea, that's what I think.

Old 05-27-2007, 11:06 AM
chows4us
6th Gear
Old 05-27-2007, 11:10 AM
manifest
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by chows4us
From the bottom of the page you linked:

Con

General Arguments critizing the studies

All the good studies that were done were very close to the artic circle. The light conditions there are much different.

All hte safty studies in the US that I have seen tend to compare fleets safty to fleet safty from years ago. These are flawed because the roads are safer now.
Kind of throws off the idea that DLR do anything down "south"?

Last edited by manifest; 05-27-2007 at 11:14 AM.
Old 05-27-2007, 11:11 AM
4xAAA
6th Gear
Originally Posted by msh441
DRLs "Off".

But except for the clear blue-sky, sunny days, I usually drive with parking lights and front fogs "On".
"Parking lights denote a parked car", or at least that is what the Texas Drivers Ed book used to say.
I think the front fogs would do the trick, but do they come on with just the parking lights on? Seems I remember the manual saying something like "with low beam head lights only".
Anyone?

Old 05-27-2007, 11:19 AM
AnyMiniMineyMo
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by chows4us
That's an interesting site. I found this there:

Pro
  • They make it easier to see cars in low light siturations, espacally oncomming vehicles.
    [That's a matter of opinion...
    When they're oncoming, they don't make me (the motorist) notice them any sooner than a car whose headlamps are dark]
  • It is easier to spot cars in glare, shade, dusk, etc. with them.
  • Being "lights" they are easier to see than, say a dark colored car.
  • They grab your attention faster than a car without DRL's, and thus you have a few split seconds more to react, adjust, etc. Split seconds make the difference in dangerous situations.
  • People don't have to remember to turn on their headlights every time it gets dark.
    [What about the tail lights, marker lights and instrument lights? If drivers can't be trusted to turn on their headlights when it gets dark, then why trust in them to turn on the rest?
  • No danger of people trying to save their bulbs by driving with just their parking lights on at dusk.
Con
  • They are annoying. When DRL-equipped cars are behind a motorist on the highway, they turn the rear-view mirror into a constant distraction. When a car is behind a motorist on an uneven or hilly they go from annoying to extremely annoying and distracting. During the night time there is a day/night setting on the rear view mirror that can't be used during the day. [More ...]
  • They can go beyond annoying to dangerous. For example: they are annoying on cars coming towards a motorist in the other lane because it tends to cause people to look away from them. This is obviously not a safe situation.
  • Rear center brake lights didn't help much, daytime driving lights won't either. The gov't and the IIHS predicted a 50% drop in rear-end accidents with the center brake lights. 5+ years after they mandated them, the real drop was more like 5%. So, anytime someone says DRLs will work when everyone has them, remember that figure. If all cars have lights on during the day your car will no longer be different. It won't stand out. You lose the advantage.
  • They are sometimes blinding depending on the height of the car and when they are implemented as reduced brightness high-beams.
  • Some drivers forget to turn on there low beams at night. They run the risk of being rear-ended because the majority of DRL systems do not illuminate other lights besides the headlights.
  • People will think DRLs are adequate protect in Bad Weather like Fog etc..
  • Hard to see the Turn Signals due to DRLs.
  • You can see the headlights better when they are on, but you can't see the car better. There are several tricks that can be done with tools as simple as a flashlight to show you can't see as well.
  • When having headlights on is a good idea, one can simply turn on there headlights.
  • Unnecessary, cars can be seen during the day.
  • Useful In Canada due to long periods of darkness and twilight and clouds but not in the US.
  • Running lights are a way for auto manufacturers and auto light manufacturers to hit the public for more money.
  • Drunk drivers will no longer be characterized by cars traveling in the dark.
    [They are still rather easy to spot. Like the guy doing 30 in the 55 zone at 2am is a good bet for DWI.]
  • If you do all your driving in bright, sunny conditions, the only effect on you will be having to change your headlights more often!

Old 05-27-2007, 12:22 PM
Sowellman
6th Gear
Other than Xenons, I can't imagine worrying about that for that reason.

Old 05-27-2007, 12:32 PM
chows4us
6th Gear

Kind of throws off the idea that DLR do anything down "south"?
No it doesn't, they have pros and cons as the OP listed.

The fact is that it is a safety feature. Much easier to see you at dusk or early dawn when you might not have your lights on because you can see .... but if you have a dark colored car, others might not see you.

Arguments about bulbs are pretty meaningless if Halogen since they are pretty cheap ... under $10. If you have bi-xenons, then that is another question. DRLs in halogens work buy switching the power on/off many times a second. The result is a lower power looking glow (or illumination). Do that to a Xenon and it most likely will not work because it needs to power up so Xenons are just "on" all the time and that will cost you money. Big difference in bulb costs

I ALWAYS choose DRLs in Halogens. Not for Xenons if there isn't a third halogen bulb in there for DRL purposes.

Old 05-27-2007, 12:37 PM
z3bum
5th Gear
I use the DRLs when I am driving fast on country roads with oncoming traffic. Especially if I think I will be passing alot. My Z3 coupe didn't have them as an option, but Canadian cars did, so I updated the relay. It is actually a better system than the MINI, where the highbeams turn on at a realtively low but very noticable intensity. The MINI DRLs are the low beam, at what seems to be full intensity. Hense I leave them off on regular roads at regular speeds and putting around Old Town.

High mount stop lights, I feel, in small cars, are a great idea. If a stupid, useless vehicle (SUV) gets close to you in traffic, they can't see your taillights, but do see the highmount light...

Drive safely out there, and remember, two rules...
- MINIs are far more nimble than most cars
- Always sacrifice the SUV to save your MINI!

Old 05-27-2007, 02:23 PM
undertow
2nd Gear
Dont have my MCS nor the Manual yet, so bare with me!

From the sounds of it, the daytime running lights can be programmed to be off, yet within the cockpit can be turned on at any time? or are the lights people are turning on not the DRL but rather the actual driving lights?

If the DRLs can be programmed to be off permanently, but a switch in the car allows them (the DRLs) to come on this would be the best solution ... for me atleast. Would just be one extra thing in the pre-flight checklist!

Kevin

Old 05-27-2007, 06:53 PM
ATCQL
5th Gear
Who from Mini contacted you about setting your car up?Q

Old 05-27-2007, 07:10 PM
BlueBonnet
6th Gear
I have my lights programed to be on. MINI lights (at least the standard ones) are very dim compared to some other daytime lights. I feel they do the job without being annoying to other drivers. In low visability situations I turn on the lights to have low beams and tail lights.

My Saab, when programed for DRL seem to be as bright as the headlights. I wouldn't mind having these off since they are somewhat obnoxious and do run all the lights.

I can't imagine how cheap one must be to care about bulb life. This must be the universe of people who worry about the price of stamps and wether or not to melt down thier pennies to make copper wire. Not talking about Xenon owners . . . I can't imagine how rich one must be to have movie theater projector bulbs on the front of their car! And talk about obnoxious, I didn't get them not because of cost but because I had a bad experience shining a flashlight into a much larger person's eyes when I was young.

Old 05-27-2007, 07:30 PM
AnyMiniMineyMo
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by BlueBonnet
I can't imagine how rich one must be to have movie theater projector bulbs on the front of their car! And talk about obnoxious, I didn't get them not because of cost but because I had a bad experience shining a flashlight into a much larger person's eyes when I was young.
LOL. I didn't get the Xenons because I resent it when too bright headlights are driving towards me or behind me and I didn't want to be one of those guys. That, and I'm cheap enough to worry about the cost of replacing bulbs.

Old 05-27-2007, 07:39 PM
msh441
6th Gear
Originally Posted by 4xAAA
I think the front fogs would do the trick, but do they come on with just the parking lights on? Seems I remember the manual saying something like "with low beam head lights only".
Anyone?
Yes. I wouldn't have told you I was driving around that way if it didn't work.

Parking lights OR low beams ONLY. You probably read the manual correctly, but misunderstood the message:

They turn off when you turn your high beams on. So they do NOT work with high beams "on".

I guess you could choose to believe me this time, or just go outside and try it for yourself.

Last edited by msh441; 05-27-2007 at 08:45 PM.