R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Fess Up: Sport Mode Use

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 06:51 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a Cooper automatic for the evening (Sparkling Silver body and top) and have been using the sport mode. For me......just experimenting.....I can live with shifting at 4K rpms in first and second, but them it hangs in third (or whatever the next gear might be) because at some point I back off the gas to cruise (and to avoid a ticket). It really needs to shift but it wouldn't in sport mode.........except........I used the paddle shifter. So, in sport mode the car can be driven with it's higher shift points and when cruising speed is reached, just blip the paddle shifter for the next gear. I admit, this could be seriously addicting...it is very engaging.

Old 05-29-2007, 07:04 PM
Uncle_John
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I played with it a little when I first picked up the car, but now hardly ever use it. I like being able to modulate the throttle in normal mode. Throttle is too much like an "on/off" switch when in sport. And remember, when pedal on floor, HP is the same.

Old 05-29-2007, 08:08 PM
S325MINI
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I tested it out on the highway today. Was going about 70mph on a slight gradual incline, watching as my MPG was holding steady at just about 30. Then I pressed the sport button. I felt and heard a hearty rumble and saw the tach rev about 1000 more RPM and my MPG drop to 27 while I stayed at 70mph. For about 4-5 seconds, then I turned it off. I'll test the paddleshift and sport button more after a few more thousand miles. I more than love the experience on normal mode already, so no need for the tricky stuff just yet.

Old 05-29-2007, 11:33 PM
msh441
6th Gear
Originally Posted by fjork_duf
Sport button always. I see no reason to ever drive the car without it.
I don't just use my car as a plaything, I commute. I'll give you one reason I've noticed over 3000 miles: Fuel economy.

Here is a little test that convinced me: Driving on the highway set your speed with the cruise control at 75 MPH with the sport button "Off". Set your OBC to see your current "Miles Per Gallon" readout. Turn the sport button "On". The readout takes a 5-10 MPG drop and stays there, never getting back up to the higher, more efficient level it was with the button "off". 5 miles per gallon might not sound like much, but it's about 55-60 miles of driving out of a tank of gas.

I hit it on the fly, myself... just before getting to the twisties. I notice the throddle becomes much more responcive and the steering gets a bit tighter.

Old 05-30-2007, 04:34 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Coffeeman
I use it 100% of the time.
Originally Posted by fjork_duf
Sport button always. I see no reason to ever drive the car without it.
Originally Posted by MrVvrroomm
Hit start button, hit sport button, drive off happily.
Originally Posted by snkbte
Everytime. Push the start button,and push the sport button. Throttle response is much better,and I like the steering feel.
Originally Posted by JohnnyF
Every time for me, regardless of trip length or style. I'm still waiting for Vishu or someone else to hopefully integrate that into an ECU mod.
ditto to all the above. It would be different if I had the automatic transmission though.

Old 05-30-2007, 05:22 PM
r56mini
6th Gear
button or no button, I just want my car now.

Old 05-30-2007, 06:57 PM
wildone3c
Coordinator :: Gulf South Motoring
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Wait the sport button can be turned off?? Maybe it's time to remove the duct tape from my button. I think i've only driven mine once with the sport button off. After I almost stalled and got run over by a big mac I very quickly turned it back on. So yes I can tell a huuuuuge difference. Not so much in steering but slightly.

Old 05-30-2007, 07:04 PM
mommashine
4th Gear
i've been using it a lot more lately... course i've been using my manual a lot more lately too... just playing with eveything... i like it all ways...

Old 05-30-2007, 07:45 PM
AndyCoop
3rd Gear
I always have it on when around the home base, since we have many twisty roads around here - which makes it much more fun. For long highway trips, I tend to keep it off - I guess thinking it will help with the mileage, and this is the most responsive car I have ever driven with or without the sport button in many years.

Old 05-30-2007, 09:23 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I use it everytime now, ever since I discovered I shift better with it on. Ken Cooper's not the only one! (I usually forget until the first shift, though.)

Funny, though, I read a road test report that reported "no difference" in the steering. I can FEEL the steering change if I'm rolling as I push it on. Strange sensation...

Old 05-31-2007, 12:59 AM
msh441
6th Gear
Originally Posted by daffodildeb
Funny, though, I read a road test report that reported "no difference" in the steering. I can FEEL the steering change if I'm rolling as I push it on. Strange sensation...
Yeah, you can feel that little "dead spot" (when the wheel is centered), just kind of melt away as it starts to respond to every little input. I love it!

Old 05-31-2007, 02:22 AM
OrneryDSMini
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by r56mini
button or no button, I just want my car now.
I feel your pain. I am trying REALLY HARD not to do the whole "Skuzzy School of Whine", but I WANT MY CAR!!!
There I got it out of my system... for another week or so.

Old 05-31-2007, 03:29 AM
Skuzzy
OVERDRIVE
I have yet to tuirn it on.

1) I keep forgetting it is there.
2) I have gotten use to driving Romi without it. Even the Wife has noticed how much smoother I am now than I was when I first got Romi. It had been 5 or 6 years since I had been behind the wheel of a standard.

Romi does not have any trouble keeping up with the traffic. It's not like the button adds any horsepower.

Old 05-31-2007, 06:15 PM
cnolan
2nd Gear
With the auto tranny and sport button pressed with auto-stick in auto position, it seems to like 5th gear and won't go to 6th unless you pull on the paddle. With sport on, shift points are higher, steering is heavier, and throttle response is quicker.

I like it. Can't wait to get past break-in.

Old 05-31-2007, 06:41 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Originally Posted by cnolan
With sport on, shift points are higher, steering is heavier, and throttle response is quicker.
I've had a few loaners that were automatics and that car is magic!!!!! There are so many modes to explore that can relate to so many driving conditions. Those that get good at it have plenty of cred w/ me!!!

Old 06-01-2007, 04:09 AM
glangford
6th Gear
I never use it, haven't even tested it yet. I am so pleased with the response of the car I haven't found need to yet. I'm still in break in and I guess I play with it some after that, but frankly don't think I'll need it.

Old 06-01-2007, 06:52 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
I've not been using it for the most part...for me, launching is very different between the two and takes different techniques. So w/ so much "around town" driving, non-sport seems smoother/better for me. Still experimenting though. If fuel economy proves to suffer (even slightly) I'll definitely be saving sport mode for special occasions....can't let it go to waste, no way!!!

Old 06-01-2007, 08:36 AM
dennisd63
5th Gear
I'm still very new to the car, but so far, I find that I use Sport in the heavy, stop and go traffic for increased pick up and response. On the longer, straighter runs or on the highway, the sport comes off...there's really no need for the increased response when you're just crusing along and it does save gas mileage.

BTW, I'm finding it a little different getting used the the 17"s. They bound around a fair bit and you really have to hang on. I saw other threads that suggested 16"s are ideal for handling, and I think I now concur...but the 17's look seccckkssseee.....

Old 06-01-2007, 01:58 PM
OSUmcs
2nd Gear
My wife and I both drive our MCS about equal amounts. She is not much of a car person so I have yet to show her the sport button . I figure she can save us a tiny bit in gas not knowing its there. As for me its so automatic I don't even notice I push it....Its like pushing the start button you just do it before you take off.

Old 06-02-2007, 11:44 AM
CSC.RCC
2nd Gear
Sport button prevents that tendency to feel like it might stall in first gear? (not that it ever does, it just feels like it will) Yeah! I didn't know that. I'll have to use it more often now. I would have figured it would do the opposite...