R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Huge rear view mirror blocking front view

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 01:08 PM
Pam
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm 6' & drive with the seat as high as it will go without my head hitting the roof and almost all the way back. I've noticed the mirror obstructing my view on cloverleaf ramps.

Old 09-18-2007, 01:13 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by MINI Jackpot
I like to have the seat jacked up high enough to see out over the bonnet...but then I sometimes feel like I'm ducking under the rear view mirror to see out the front window. Anybody feel this way? And I'm only 5'8" tall...

The mirror seems rather large...maybe to keep the speedo company?

John
That's not the only thing that's huge...wait till you drive up next to a R53...

Old 09-18-2007, 01:16 PM
VicSkimmr
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by LynnEl
I'm a short person and I have no problem with the mirror. I also don't have my seat cranked to "high chair"
I gotta admit, I LOL'd.

When I test drove an R56 MCS I didn't notice it blocking my view. 6'0" here.

Old 09-18-2007, 08:47 PM
ChiliXer
4th Gear
I'm 5'11" and I havent even noticed the mirror being in the way yet, thats why i got two eyes First thing I did when I bought the car was crank the seat down so I get used to sitting low enough to have room for a helmet in autocross. My biggest complaint is that the roof is just so forward that sometimes its hard to see traffic lights and I have to look out the sunroof

Old 09-18-2007, 09:56 PM
amazonracer
4th Gear
I am easy going and it takes a lot for me to say something is really wrong with this car because I am really enjoying the car so far. But.. The rear view mirror for me is boderline dangerous. The blind spot out the right top of the window is really bad.

Old 09-18-2007, 10:15 PM
wondermini
4th Gear
Originally Posted by amazonracer
I am easy going and it takes a lot for me to say something is really wrong with this car because I am really enjoying the car so far. But.. The rear view mirror for me is boderline dangerous. The blind spot out the right top of the window is really bad.
What are you looking at out the top of the window? I'm trying to imagine a scenario in which this might be a problem...seriously, help me understand. What could be only out the top right and not also present in the bottom right? (and therefore visible)

Maybe because I'm short (5'4"), this entire thread came as a surprise to me. I love my checkered rearview mirror!

Old 09-18-2007, 10:34 PM
MarcoEsc
3rd Gear
While our MINI is not second gen ('05 MCSc), I hafta say that on our local fun and twisty roads, I find myself moving my head a *lot* to look around the rear view window. Something I never recall doing in other cars...

Old 09-18-2007, 11:34 PM
BlueBonnet
6th Gear
I'm begging the vendors to come up with a "key module" for the electroncs and a tiny mirror for use in looking to the rear. It is a real problem.

Old 09-18-2007, 11:34 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
No problem for me--I'm 5'9". Now, if they could only fix the seat belt, which doesn't cross my chest the way the safety people say it should!

Old 09-19-2007, 04:24 AM
rockridge
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
It works fine for me as long as I only turn left.

Old 09-19-2007, 08:38 AM
brudgers
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by wondermini
What are you looking at out the top of the window? I'm trying to imagine a scenario in which this might be a problem...seriously, help me understand. What could be only out the top right and not also present in the bottom right? (and therefore visible)

Maybe because I'm short (5'4"), this entire thread came as a surprise to me. I love my checkered rearview mirror!
At intersections with topography, cars or SUV"s to the right and slightly uphill can be invisible behind the mirror.

It's not so much the size of the mirror as its placement well aft of the windshield.

Much of it is related to seating postion. If your eyes are at the level of the mirror the blind spot is significant. If your eyes are lower, it's not as much of an issue.

Old 09-19-2007, 08:44 AM
ukaussi
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by wondermini

Most of us with problems are around the 6' mark. This is 8" taller with probably 4-6" being in the torso so you need your eyes to be 4-6" higher than if you crank your seat all the way down.
You also need to move your seat back 2-4" to simulate the narrower field of view we have.

Problem I get is off ramps that curve right, any roads that curve right and most of all right turning at signals as you just dont know if some pedestrian is standing in your blindspot and cross just as you turn right.

Maybe I should do as suggested by our Italian colleagues and just remove it as there is nothing important behind us, right

Old 09-19-2007, 08:45 AM
wondermini
4th Gear
Originally Posted by brudgers
At intersections with topography, cars or SUV"s to the right and slightly uphill can be invisible behind the mirror.

It's not so much the size of the mirror as its placement well aft of the windshield.

Much of it is related to seating postion. If your eyes are at the level of the mirror the blind spot is significant. If your eyes are lower, it's not as much of an issue.
Ooohhh, topography!!! We basically don't have hills in most of Sacramento, so maybe that's why I never noticed. Maybe when I take it into the foothills it'll be obvious. But then again, I'm not only short, but I like to sit back a little at a recline...I hope to stay in harmony with my mirror no matter where I go. I'm sorry others are not as content.

Old 09-19-2007, 11:50 AM
scabpicker
3rd Gear
I have never noticed it being a problem, but I am 5'4", and live in the flatland of north Texas. It really does seem to be an issue for those who are taller, or live in areas with elevation changes.

I acually think the mirror is a little small, but I am comparing it to the one on my old truck, which was huuuuge.

Old 09-19-2007, 05:22 PM
quemas
2nd Gear
I'm 6'3'' and really noticed while driving the tight curveson the Dragon. The noticeable difficulty is going around sharp right hand turns when the line of sight is blocked. I have tried moving the seat up and down, backwards and forwards, but there is still a significant loss of froward vision. I do notice that when I look beneath the mirror, it's amazing what I can see. So it is a "height issue". Unfortunately the key fob is tied to the mirror, so any after-market change would involve dealing with the electronics. It would be cool to have the option of the mirror sitting on the dash, and looking "over" it for us taller persons.

Old 09-19-2007, 08:55 PM
brudgers
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by quemas
I'm 6'3'' and really noticed while driving the tight curveson the Dragon. The noticeable difficulty is going around sharp right hand turns when the line of sight is blocked. I have tried moving the seat up and down, backwards and forwards, but there is still a significant loss of froward vision. I do notice that when I look beneath the mirror, it's amazing what I can see. So it is a "height issue". Unfortunately the key fob is tied to the mirror, so any after-market change would involve dealing with the electronics. It would be cool to have the option of the mirror sitting on the dash, and looking "over" it for us taller persons.
Just moving it closer to the windsheild would help a great deal.

It's not particularly large. It's just very close to the driver's eyes.

Old 09-09-2008, 07:48 PM
Pinky Demon
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bump.

Was going to post another thread until I saw this.

As a taller driver, (6',8") this concerns me. Any solutions from aftermarket or otherwise yet?

Old 09-09-2008, 08:31 PM
Creeve
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MINI Jackpot
I like to have the seat jacked up high enough to see out over the bonnet...but then I sometimes feel like I'm ducking under the rear view mirror to see out the front window. Anybody feel this way? And I'm only 5'8" tall...

The mirror seems rather large...maybe to keep the speedo company?

John
I am also 5'8". I have my seat all the way down and I don't notice any visibility issues.

Old 09-09-2008, 10:23 PM
Btwyx
6th Gear
Originally Posted by chrisneal
The mirror is too large because people complained that it was too small on earlier models (02-03) when it was, in fact, just the right size to capture the entire rear window.
I'm one of the people who complained about the size of the mirror (in the 04 anyway), it wasn't just right, it was annoyingly too small. The difference here maybe something to do with how far back we sit. That was one of the things I mentioned when MINI called about how we liked our MINI. The 05 with the better mirror was in production by that time.

The 05+ mirror is much better, it gets in the way sometime, but nothing I can't look around or under. I'm not sure its any worse than any other car I've driven.

Old 09-09-2008, 10:45 PM
Ken G.
4th Gear
I'm 6' even and the mirror and it's blindspot was just about my only problem with the interior of the car. It's not the worst I've seen, however, and 5 months later, I've learned to deal with it.

Old 09-10-2008, 07:09 AM
ukaussi
2nd Gear
6'1"
Mirror is indeed a blind spot for visibility to the right
Had a few close calls at intersections

Also removed the sunvisor above my head as it was always touching my hair, don't miss it

Can you retrofit an earlier mirror as mine has no electrics I know of ?

Old 09-10-2008, 07:14 AM
lacning74
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ukaussi
6'1"
Mirror is indeed a blind spot for visibility to the right
Had a few close calls at intersections

Also removed the sunvisor above my head as it was always touching my hair, don't miss it

Can you retrofit an earlier mirror as mine has no electrics I know of ?
The keyfob receiver module is in the mirror as connected by wires from the headliner. Another user learned the hard way. You will just have to remove it and stuff it in the headliner somewhere.

Old 11-15-2008, 08:18 AM
wobobo
Neutral
So has anyone found a tiny replacement for the mirror? I am 6'8" and this is definitely a blind spot (unless I stick my head out the roof :P

My only other option is to pull it out and go without. :(

Old 11-15-2008, 09:21 AM
minimalistic
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Skuzzy
I have no issue with the mirror. I am 6'3" and the seat is as low as it will go.
ditto for me too

Old 11-15-2008, 10:35 AM
joshK
4th Gear
If it's too big, then you're probably sitting way too high.

Quick Reply: R56 Huge rear view mirror blocking front view