R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Are you loving your 07?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 08:18 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Next drive will net the 6000 mile mark...and I work out of my home.

'Nuff said?

Old 06-05-2007, 08:42 PM
msh441
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think this is a case of people hearing what they want to hear.

A small handful of posters grasp onto any negative piece of information they can regarding the R56, use fuzzy logic to convert positives into negatives, ignore other information or just plain make stuff up in order to justify their position against the new car.

There have been a number of very positive things said about the R56, including "this car is freakin' awsome!" It doesn't matter, though. They'll take what they want from the forums, hear what they want to hear and ignore the rest... particularly threads like this one where anyone is eliciting glowing compliments towards an R56.

We're not going to change their minds or convince them otherwise. Not much point in trying anymore.

Last edited by msh441; 06-06-2007 at 12:00 AM.
Old 06-05-2007, 08:47 PM
r56mini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by alisor56
I have to decide in the morning if I want to drive the R56 or the 996
You lucky dog

Old 06-05-2007, 08:50 PM
r56mini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by amazonracer
Holy crap, I'm still waiting for my car.
I dare to challenge anyone on this forum on the longest waiting guy on planet for a R56 Ordered on March 23 or 26th around there...

Old 06-06-2007, 04:22 AM
Skuzzy
OVERDRIVE
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's not the length of time, it is the quality of whine. Everyone on NAM was convinced my car took forever to get here. Little did they realize it was the dreaded, "Oh Gawd! If I have to read another whine from this turd I think I will shoot something!!!" syndrome.

Yes, there are those with agendas. People who do not own an R56 posting regularly in this forum about how evil they are. They are called trolls. If we do not feed them, they will move on.

Old 06-06-2007, 04:33 AM
korby
6th Gear
Yes, there are those with agendas. People who do not own an R56 posting regularly in this forum about how evil they are. They are called trolls. If we do not feed them, they will move on.[/quote]

The strange thing those same people think the 08 will magically turn into a perfect car.

Old 06-06-2007, 04:49 AM
Skuzzy
OVERDRIVE
I just find it sad there are those who would come to an enthusiast forum for the sole reason to berate what the enthusiasts love. They have no intention of owning an R56. They dissect posts to find something they can distort into making it sound as if the world is coming to an end.

They are an afront to any intelligent discussion. They only say the 08 will be better so they can say the 07 sucks. When the 08 gets here, it will suck and the 09 will be the cure. They will continue as long as they have an audience to respond to thier negative quips.

Thankfully these types of people are, by far and away, in the minority in this forum. In the end they are just petty, sad little people.

If we just ignore them, they will go away.

Old 06-06-2007, 04:55 AM
OrneryDSMini
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by r56mini
I dare to challenge anyone on this forum on the longest waiting guy on planet for a R56 Ordered on March 23 or 26th around there...
Do I qualify for that?
And I look forward to Skuzzy's posts, that way I know how far I can push it before I start to sound like him. j/k

Old 06-06-2007, 04:58 AM
inomis
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
My love has grown after having an 06 MC loaner for a week.

Perhaps more of the original MINI buyers would actually say “holy s**t this is awesome” while R56 buyers are a bit more sophisticated hence our appreciation of the R56.

Old 06-06-2007, 06:05 AM
chili s
2nd Gear
Sold my '03 R53 after a couple of test drives in the R56. Holy s***!, I think was the expression I utilized the first time I floored it.

Love it.

Now if MINI can only get an iPod adapter for, say $300 that works off my wheel and displays on the console, I'd be happier.

Chili S

Old 06-06-2007, 09:42 AM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Skuzzy
Yes, there are those with agendas. People who do not own an R56 posting regularly in this forum about how evil they are. They are called trolls. If we do not feed them, they will move on.
Yes, there are. I was disappointed to see this in action at our local MINI meeting last week. One of the members was wearing a T-shirt with the logo: R56 Tards Rule! He said he got it from a California club. Aside from the obvious slander against the mentally retarded, it is inflammatory at best. I don't know if the fact that he is an engine modifier might have anything to do with it, or if he's just a troll. It is interesting that his wife, whose R53 has had numberous serious problems, blasted her R56 loaner...

Old 06-06-2007, 09:56 AM
Skuzzy
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by OrneryDSMini
Do I qualify for that?
And I look forward to Skuzzy's posts, that way I know how far I can push it before I start to sound like him. j/k
ROFLMBO!!! Have I become a benchmark? ROFL!!!

Originally Posted by daffodildeb
Yes, there are. I was disappointed to see this in action at our local MINI meeting last week. One of the members was wearing a T-shirt with the logo: R56 Tards Rule! He said he got it from a California club. Aside from the obvious slander against the mentally retarded, it is inflammatory at best. I don't know if the fact that he is an engine modifier might have anything to do with it, or if he's just a troll. It is interesting that his wife, whose R53 has had numberous serious problems, blasted her R56 loaner...
Now that is simply pathetic. I really have to wonder about those type of people. I hope and pray I never get to the point where any Mini does not bring a smile to my face. I feel sorry for those who have lost it.

Last edited by Skuzzy; 06-06-2007 at 10:00 AM.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:00 AM
emtrey
5th Gear
You will always find those that do not like change. Go to the Porsche boards and read the heavy duty whining about the 997s. Not air cooled, too comfortable, you can't spin/kill yourself with trailing throttle oversteer. BLAH BLAH.

Get what makes you happy and let everyone else live in peace. Every MINI is a blast. I like my 04 Cooper CVT but I would not be buying a new car if I did not think it would serve me BETTER.

BMW would not be in business if they came up with poorer performing cars with each succeeding generation.

This R53 is better that the R56 stuff is getting old. Who cares if the automotive press is not ga ga over this MINI.
The MINI was a brand new, never seen concept when it first came out. Now its a new version of that groundbreaker. You can not re-invent the wheel with every new model.

Sorry---I need to puke.....

Old 06-06-2007, 11:27 AM
JoPo
1st Gear
Originally Posted by minibonkers
I test drove the 2006 Cooper S and then the 2007 Cooper S. No contest, I bought the 2007 the very next day.

I used to ride my Harley Deuce to work every day. I have had my R56 for a couple of months now and have only rode my Harley to work ONCE since.

HOLLY CRAP !!!

I can't wait to get this thing on the track.
I hear ya barkin' Minibonkers. My wife and I car-sat for friends while on vacation and I fell in love with their 05 Mini. I went to our local Mini dealer the next weekend and test drove a 2006 & 2007 S. Hands down 07 it was faster, much more responsive and the ride was much smoother. I placed my order the same day, (it's on the Toronto crossing the pond right now). I also have a brand new Harley FLHX and I'm definitely afraid she won't be seeing much saddle time. My wife has already suggested we trade her car and the Harley to get a convertible Mini; but only after they upgrade it. I'd say we had a big Holy Crap Factor. I don't know how my Harley friends will respond...but who cares, in the Mini, I'll be nice and dry with a big ol' smile...with no bugs in it!!

Old 06-06-2007, 12:40 PM
glangford
6th Gear
Originally Posted by rooandren
Errr, the logic just seems pretty off on that. We know people love their MINIs, or no one would be hanging out here in the first place. If the issue is that there's not a huge "holy crap" factor in the R56 over the R53, that's because the R53 was a great car and the changes were intentionally subtle, nothing you'd hear that kind of comment about (w/ the exception of the S, and I have heard some "holy crap" for the turbo changeover, but that being the minority)
I think rooandren said it best. When you improve on 'holy crap' you are not going to get alot more 'holy crap'. Mini intentionally didn't redesign the wheel for the R56, you'll get smiles, which I have everytime I drive.

I love my R56.

Old 06-06-2007, 02:34 PM
lava
5th Gear
Well I did not come from a prior Mini, so my life has been one big Holy Crap since February. Give me an excuse to drive - anything...

Old 06-06-2007, 03:14 PM
Skuzzy
OVERDRIVE
My life has been one big 'HOLY CARP' as well, but it got a lot better since I got Romi.

Old 06-06-2007, 07:47 PM
mommashine
4th Gear
Next drive will net the 6000 mile mark...and I work out of my home.

'Nuff said?
hehe... i just hit the 3000 mark, i've only had the mini 1.5 months, and i live 2 blocks from work... i know the feelin...

Old 06-06-2007, 09:50 PM
Ex-Pat Brit
4th Gear
The first time I drove the MCS/a demonstrator, "Holy S**t", since then Holy crap ie this carever going to arrive

Old 06-06-2007, 10:11 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
I agree with many above! Having owned and been around both the R53 vs. R56 isn't always fair. They are both great cars and one isn't unilateraly better than the other. But the R56 is excellent and a great evolution of the MINI! I personally love the turbo, the sport button and the overall look and performance. But that is NOT at all a put down of any of those things on the R53.

But yes, Holy crap! I love this car!

Happy motoring (albeit R53 or R56, just motor!)

Old 06-07-2007, 01:14 AM
groovedaddy
2nd Gear
Holy Crap! I decided that I no longer needed the US postal service when I got my R56/MCS 110 days ago and 11,750 miles ago. I now deliver my own mail. Anyone who thinks this car is not awesome has yet to drive it.

Old 06-07-2007, 03:19 AM
msh441
6th Gear
One of the members was wearing a T-shirt with the logo: R56 Tards Rule! He said he got it from a California club. Aside from the obvious slander against the mentally retarded, it is inflammatory at best. I don't know if the fact that he is an engine modifier might have anything to do with it, or if he's just a troll.
Did you ask about it? Any possibility it was taken out of context and supposed to just be a silly (yet un-PC) retort to a negative description that has been used by some to describe the R56 failthful? Just playing devil's advocate a bit here.

I would be very suprised that a vender, who will eventually depend on continued business from the ever-changing MINI community, would intentionally display such a divisive sentiment at a club funtion. It would be cutting their own throat for future business from the "R56 Tards".

I would equally be suprised that the shirt was being sold by another MINI club (again, if that was in fact the intent of the message). The result would eventually be the overall demise of the club as they alienate owners of newer model cars. First the R56s aren't welcome, then the R59s, the the R63s... They'd be left with a half dozen 1st gen BINI owners that think everything else sucks and their the only true/enthusiast/classic motorers. Very sad and ironic if that was really thae case.

Old 06-07-2007, 09:25 AM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Yes, indeed, I asked about it. He said "I don't like them."

I agree--it's a dumb business move, but so far I'm the only R56 owner in the group that is normally present at the meetings--20-some at the last meeting.

Old 06-07-2007, 04:35 PM
lurch70
6th Gear
Originally Posted by lava
Somebody commenting on MotoringFile sayd this:

I guess they have not been reading this forum!
That was my qoute btw and I do read these forums as I really wanted to trade up to the R56.

Not trying to instigate anything but honestly the car has not recieved the enthusiastic reviews as the previous model has. I mean if you really dig back to some early posts here and on MINI2 ... people were gushing and freaking out over the first gen upon its release. And yes, I have seen the R56 in the flesh and test drove it. And while and excellent car there is that special something missing from it ... but again, I might be biased and spoiled by the last gen and probably if the R56 was my first MINI purchase would have looked at it differently.

Last edited by lurch70; 06-07-2007 at 04:37 PM.
Old 06-07-2007, 05:30 PM
Lightyr
3rd Gear
I'll repost what I originally when I formally signed on under 1st Gear:

Been reading posts for a few weeks and posting a few replies, her and there; but never formally introduced.

A number of weeks ago we went to Washington DC from our home in the NY suburbs. We motored the length of NJ, DE, and MD into the DC area. Remarkably, we had 41.7 mpg on the trip down. Car had 1200 miles on it, and no traffic on the way down. We have never set the OBC since delivery and we have had 35.6 mpg overall since we got the car. Wife uses it to commute to work and has some days with bumper to bumper traffic. We also had very bad traffic returning from DC so that is figured into the grand total equation.

Needless to say, every opportunity I have to drive "her" car, I do; even if it's to go get her gas. Because of work, I drive a Subaru, but if Mini had an awd model, I'd trade-in in a heartbeat.

I've been driving since 1969 and have owned a few radical cars, including the very first Mazda RX-3 and a Mazda Cosmo, both w/ rotary engines, but nothing compares to driving the MINI. Whatever safety concerns I had in the beginning (sharing the road w/ 80,000 trucks) went out the door first time I got into one at the dealer.

When we tell people we got a new car and it's a Mini, there isn't a person that doesn't say "Ohhhhhhhh, I love that car!"

Do we love it? I now wash and detail the car every week (something I haven't done to a car in over 20 years) and every night it gets a rubdown with DP Slick.

Still can't get het to name the car yet!

R56 MCa BRG/W, NAV, DSC, Cold Weather, Premium, fogs, brushed alloy, checkered sport seats, & looks from everyone.

Quick Reply: R56 Are you loving your 07?