R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Are you loving your 07?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 06:59 PM
lava
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lurch - thanks for posting. What may be missing for you is that the idea of a New Mini is not new this time. That gushing and praise about the first car was the revelation. By definition that is not going to be part of the experience of a revised model. That's your experience, and its legit, but its not one that is shared by most R56 buyers as you can tell.

Old 06-07-2007, 07:24 PM
vladimir
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am one of those so-called, well, whatever-you-call-us: those who have posted (perhaps repeatedly!) on other threads of NAM, venting our frustration and disappointment with the design/changes for the R56; (I've owned both an R50 and R53). I have not changed my mind, and I can find almost nothing I agree with or appreciate with the R56. This has been terribly disheartening, since, (hard to believe I can say it), I see myself drifting away from MINI as my next car-- I'm just not interested in it, seems as though it is becoming a "follower," not a "leader" and too, too much (in size and elsewhere) like a VW Golf. So, I am very interested to finally read some comments from those who actually have the car, now that they have been able to take delivery, and find this thread encouraging, pretty much everyone here seems very satisfied. That's good to know and I am happy for all. I am wondering how the sales figures are, does anyone know? I have been seeing the same vehicles at my dealer since they arrived in February, and was wondering... ?

Old 06-07-2007, 07:43 PM
MINI Jackpot
3rd Gear
Absolutely!

Old 06-07-2007, 07:58 PM
Mr.GBMiniGirl
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by daffodildeb
Yes, there are. I was disappointed to see this in action at our local MINI meeting last week. One of the members was wearing a T-shirt with the logo: R56 Tards Rule! He said he got it from a California club. Aside from the obvious slander against the mentally retarded, it is inflammatory at best. I don't know if the fact that he is an engine modifier might have anything to do with it, or if he's just a troll. It is interesting that his wife, whose R53 has had numberous serious problems, blasted her R56 loaner...
She actually has an R50. I am not an "engine modifier" and I also didn't like the R56 when I had it as a loaner. I also wear my T-shirt that says "I drive a Mini because I have a huge pen*S!" Is that an obvious slander against those with small ones? Get your facts straight before "slandering" others b/c of clothes they wear!

Old 06-07-2007, 08:27 PM
lava
5th Gear
Actually if you want to get your facts straight Deb would be libeling you, not slandering. But since you did wear the shirt, and seem proud of it to boot, I'm not really seeing any defamation in her post. Unless of course that was some freudian slip and you are feeling guilty? nah.

Old 06-07-2007, 08:31 PM
Skiploder
Banned
Originally Posted by Mr.GBMiniGirl
She actually has an R50. I am not an "engine modifier" and I also didn't like the R56 when I had it as a loaner. I also wear my T-shirt that says "I drive a Mini because I have a huge pen*S!" Is that an obvious slander against those with small ones? Get your facts straight before "slandering" others b/c of clothes they wear!
Those rabblerousing good-for-nothings and their R50s - giving the rest of us a bad name.

I'm an "engine modifier" and a "wandering phlebotomist" to boot and I do not appreciate you lumping me into the same catagory with these recidivists.

Please be more careful with your racist stereotypes.

Old 06-07-2007, 08:34 PM
Skiploder
Banned
Originally Posted by lava
Actually if you want to get your facts straight Deb would be libeling you, not slandering. But since you did wear the shirt, and seem proud of it to boot, I'm not really seeing any defamation in her post. Unless of course that was some freudian slip and you are feeling guilty? nah.
Dammit Greg, I thought when I dropped the word "recidivist" in my post I was a sure lock for NAM Wordsmith of the Day....

The you had to come along and drop "libel", "slander","defamation" and "freudian" in the same post.

Well played.

Old 06-07-2007, 08:57 PM
MrsTune
2nd Gear
OH man, I'm still so in love with my car. I love driving it, I love staring at it and I think it's just great to drive!

LUUUUUURVE my MINI! Holy Crap indeed!

Old 06-07-2007, 09:32 PM
dennisd63
5th Gear
After testing a MCS...HOLY CRAP...

Old 06-07-2007, 10:15 PM
goaljnky
Banned
Oh man. It's nice and warm in here. The love is flowing, Skiploder has his dictionary out and "crap" is being used repeatedly in describing the R56. I have a T-Shirt that says "Wood is Great". I hope the plastic loving R56 center console designers don't get offended.

But I will be honest. I have not been following the R56. Can someone tell me: is there a future use for that scoop?

Old 06-07-2007, 10:27 PM
Skiploder
Banned
Originally Posted by goaljnky
Oh man. It's nice and warm in here. The love is flowing, Skiploder has his dictionary out and "crap" is being used repeatedly in describing the R56. I have a T-Shirt that says "Wood is Great". I hope the plastic loving R56 center console designers don't get offended.

But I will be honest. I have not been following the R56. Can someone tell me: is there a future use for that scoop?
I have had it about up to here with you and your trollish, negative attitude. Everyone knows that the scoop on the R56 will be opened up in the future to provide a blast of cold air to the spark plugs.

Frankly, if it wasn't for the fact that you and I both served in 'Nam together on a swift boat I'd let you have it.

Jerry, I leave you with this saying from Plutarch -

"A depressed man is really an angry man without any enthusiasm."

Think about it.

Last edited by Skiploder; 06-07-2007 at 10:50 PM.
Old 06-07-2007, 10:51 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
A technical review...

shows the car to be very, very well though out. I just finished up my next article for MC Squared on power and torque. Let's just say that what the engineers have done with the little turbo is mighty impressive. Sorry, for more details, you'll have to wait for the magazine to come out!

Another point. First new Mini was "Holy Crap!", the R56 should be "Holier Crap!"

Also, I'm not big on the comparos of the two models stock. Nothing I have stays stock (yes, a reccuring problem) for long, so the dissing about little things that a modder will change may be relevant to those who don't use the socket set, but to me it's just pointless banter.
The new powerplant is a step up all over the place. Those that say "the turbo doesn't come on till higher revs" and "sc's are immidiate" as justification of why the 53 is "better" haven't looked at the torque curves. You can't really drive a stock S at anything less than 3500 RPM if you really want to scoot, and the new engine will push you along really, really well right out of the gate.

I'll chalk up all the negative banter as the standard human nature spouting opionions that reinforce thier previously made buying decisions (not all, but most), and because we're makeing not an apples to oranges comparison, but more like an apples to pears... There was no New Mini when the 02 came out, nor was the competition in the segment anything to get exited about. Now that's not the case, the segment is full of varients (GTI, C30, Mazdaspeed3, Civic Si and on and on) and while none have the same mix that makes the Mini a Mini, they sure are comming up with a mix that makes thier offerings much more appealing to those that are considering a Mini.

If I had the cash, I'd have an 07 now. Don't know if it would replace the 02 I have, or share the driveway (that's already a bit crowded). Time will tell.

Ryephile got it right. Great torque curve, good chassis as a basis for mods. Good job Mini!

Matt

Old 06-07-2007, 10:54 PM
Skiploder
Banned
Originally Posted by Dr Obnxs
we're makeing not an apples to oranges comparison, but more like an apples to pears...

Well said!

Old 06-07-2007, 10:59 PM
Mr.GBMiniGirl
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by lava
The facts would be that I wear t-shirts that I find amusing. Whether they be about single moms, Boobies, Minis or whatever. Deb never had a problem with any of the shirts in the last year or so that I have known her. The fact now she has a problem b/c one of them references an R56 I find quite amusing!

Since 95% of our business is BMW M cars the MINI is only a small portion. Due to this fact I have done nothing but help this Mini club in getting better prices on parts and service and fixing problems when the dealership could not! My phone is always on and I always respond to e-mails etc. To top it off we also saved her daughter a boat load of money on fixing her Mini and telling her how to get the dealership to fix other issues under warranty. All I do is help Mini owners fix problems and at the cheapest method even if I have to do the work in my own driveway!

Guilt? No! Offense taken by her blind judgement? Completely!

I have been a member of NAM since Jan 06. I havent made many posts b/c I have used NAM as a learning tool. For the most part I havent contributed b/c there have been plenty of others that have said it far better than I could! Local club participation has been at the forefront for me b/c my wife loved the Mini so much and she was Secretary of the local club with Deb's daughter (VP) for the last 2 years. From R50 to R56 I really do not care what you drive! I prefer the R53 to all the others including my wifes R50. I didnt like the R56 loaner I had but that is my opinion! I don't like Scions either! Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I do not like being brought up as a R56 hater b/c I wear a t-shirt that only 1 person out of 50 didnt like!

and greg, thanks for the English lesson!

Old 06-07-2007, 11:04 PM
Skiploder
Banned
Originally Posted by Mr.GBMiniGirl
I don't like Scions either!
Now you've really ticked me off.

Old 06-07-2007, 11:42 PM
aeroguy
2nd Gear
This is all pretty tough talk over a... girly car (R50/R53/R56) .

Now go get some milk... in a dirty glass.

Old 06-07-2007, 11:46 PM
camelpilot
Banned
btw.. if anyone wants a Tards Rule shirt, i am selling them. They rule. Like Tards.

Old 06-07-2007, 11:49 PM
camelpilot
Banned
Originally Posted by aeroguy
This is all pretty tough talk over a... girly car (R50/R53/R56) .

Now go get some milk... in a dirty glass.
easy for you to say, because all your milk, water, and glasses are dirty in china... DONT MAKE ME LINK IT!...

Old 06-07-2007, 11:58 PM
aeroguy
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by camelpilot
btw.. if anyone wants a Tards Rule shirt, i am selling them. They rule. Like Tards.
I do dislike it when he does not refill his ritalin perscription Guess it's back to the bike helmet and bungee cord for him. :impatient

Old 06-08-2007, 04:22 AM
slag1911
4th Gear
Originally Posted by goaljnky
As any true enthusiast of the R56 already knows... the hood scoop has been opened up already and now provides fully functional "ram air cooling" of the R56 valve cover through its pinky sized openings.

Old 06-08-2007, 04:39 AM
Skuzzy
OVERDRIVE
Well, this certainly drifted off topic.

Old 06-08-2007, 04:54 AM
OrneryDSMini
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Skuzzy
Well, this certainly drifted off topic.
Yes and entertaining... I'm easily amused today.

Old 06-08-2007, 05:58 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Yesterday, I loved my MINI. Today I don't.

Old 06-08-2007, 07:39 AM
Skuzzy
OVERDRIVE
Fickle.

Old 06-08-2007, 07:44 AM
Skiploder
Banned
Originally Posted by LynnEl
Yesterday, I loved my MINI. Today I don't.
Explain, please.

Quick Reply: R56 Are you loving your 07?