R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Sirius at the dealership

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 04:34 PM
amazonracer
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sirius at the dealership

I am in California and I have been told that the dealership can install sirius just like the factory. But when I try to find out more, the only information is that its available but again is really not because no one has actually had it installed or has a confirmed date for install. Does anyone have any information. The reason for my inquiry is that I have a car ready for transport but without sirius. I have re-ordered and it will have factory sirius but won't be here until September. If I could get the first built car and add sirius as soon as the dealership gets it, that would be fantastic. Does anyone have accurate information. I appreciate it. Thanks:impatient

Old 06-07-2007, 04:59 PM
Coffeeman
4th Gear
When Sirius is actually available, it can be installed either by the dealer, or yourself. It is plug and play, but the MINI must be "coded" by the dealer, in order for the OBC to recognize that Sirius is present.

I retrofitted OEM Sirius on my X5, which was similar, but the X5 also needed a Sirius antenna, which the MINI has integrated into the shark antenna, as long as the MINI has factory Sirius Radio Preparation. My MCS was built the first week of May, and it has Sirius Radio Prep, so your should, as well.

I'm not holding my breath for it to be available, after all, the OEM alarm is still not available....

Old 06-07-2007, 05:59 PM
amazonracer
4th Gear
Hey Coffeman, is the shark antenna different from whats on there now. I thought the shark antenna is the style on the BMW and the R56 is just the mid size stub. When you say plug and play, there is not another device is there? If you know, that would be great.

Old 06-07-2007, 06:07 PM
DSRH
2nd Gear
Sirius on a R53

You can go look at my Sirius install on my R53 if you like...I have pictures and a long story on my web log....

Old 06-07-2007, 06:21 PM
Coffeeman
4th Gear
Originally Posted by amazonracer
Hey Coffeman, is the shark antenna different from whats on there now. I thought the shark antenna is the style on the BMW and the R56 is just the mid size stub. When you say plug and play, there is not another device is there? If you know, that would be great.
Sorry, my bad, the factory antenna is not a shark antenna, but if you have factory Sirius prep. the MINI's antenna base has the Sirius antenna built in. Got it confused with my wife's 750i. No other device necessary. The Sirius unit mounts in the right rear boot cubby, which is covered by the removable "felt" cover.

Old 06-07-2007, 06:42 PM
amazonracer
4th Gear
Thanks Coffeeman.