R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 07' MC or MCS ???

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 01:14 PM
minpin
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07' MC or MCS ???

:impatient I'm going bonkers trying to decide on which mini to get, 07' Cooper or 07' S. I would probably just have gotten a Cooper but I also know I would like to do some track days, and possibly modify it for racing, nothing too extreme, at least for now. I have test driven both, although the dealer is in a city so didn't have a real chance to get either car in serious motion. It seems alot of people have the S. Just wondered if anyone can share thoughts on each car for 07' and for anyone who does track days etc... with either Cooper???? Thanks!

Old 06-09-2007, 01:40 PM
miniemee
3rd Gear
I never drove the basic mod or the MCS before I bought it. Just bought it by reputation only. Did test drive the 2006 was okay the but MCS is much better. Get the MCS. I am told that the cooper basic is sprightly andallows you to utilize ALL its performance off the track, however why would I want that when you can have wretched excess. Given that the MCS is 3k more and will probably enjoy better resale value, the diffrence is minor so get the MCS.

Old 06-09-2007, 02:08 PM
diablo_foothills
Neutral
Assuming cost is not a factor, drive them both back to back and pick the one you like best!

I just ordered a MC. I thought the '07 MC with a manual transmission meets my needs for speed and sportiness quite well, but you have to make your own decision.

I will say that I drove the MC and MCS in '05, and if I had bought a MINI from that generation I would have definitely gone MCS.

Old 06-09-2007, 02:53 PM
JohnnyF
4th Gear
MCS was the only way for me to go...more power is always a good thing to me. As diablo_foothills said, drive them both and that should be your deciding factor, not the opinions of anyone on a forum.

Old 06-09-2007, 03:08 PM
daveag98
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I drove both and the power of the MC was great, but after driving the MCS, I had to have it. That little extra kick is just too hard to ignore.

Old 06-09-2007, 03:17 PM
S325MINI
1st Gear
I only test drove an MC and I loved it. Thought there was plenty enough power for me and then it'd get great gas mileage too, but then when time came for me to order, I decided to get the MCS. I priced them both and it was just a few thousand more if I left out a few options that I didn't really need. I had no idea how it would drive but I thought in the end, this is my car for the next 8-9 yrs, let's have a little more fun. So,if money is no object and you don't mind the 6-7 drop in MPG, then go MCS. The power is so effortless. If you're not a speed demon, you will become one. I think I would have been happy with the MC though. I like the chrome grille and the better MPG and I'd probably have less fear of getting speeding tix.

Old 06-09-2007, 03:45 PM
amazonracer
4th Gear
I drove the MC and asked my MA who was in the back seat if I was in drive. Only want a auto. The sport button made it better. There were no MCS's on the lot to drive but I knew the MC was under powered for me in an auto. The manual may be totally different, I don't know. I ordered the MCS because I thought I would regret not getting the S. Good luck.

Old 06-09-2007, 05:21 PM
mufflethis
4th Gear
I wanted to get an MC originally until I drove the MCS. Yeah the MCS is a little more money but you get other things not just the turbo, you get the fog lights and bigger wheels standard. Different people like different things but if getting 3 - 5mpg less doesn't matter go with the MCS at least you won't regret it it later on.

Old 06-09-2007, 05:53 PM
mixdorfs
2nd Gear
I got drove both and got the MCS. I won't ever drive at the track, but liked the effortless "oomph" of the S.

Old 06-09-2007, 07:08 PM
minpin
1st Gear
Thanks for the replies. Seems like the old phrase "there is no replacement for displacement" holds true even for mini lovers! Although both engines are the same size. My EGO I think is telling me to get the S, esp. when older couples in their late 60's I've seen in S models. But something seems alluring too about the regular cooper. I do not really have the opportunity based on my dealers location to give it a good rip. Has anyone here pushed a non-s 07' and have feedback on performance? I agree about the S, the power is there. Do people race non-s models??? And are they competative??? Sorry for all the questions, yes I am new to mini, but honestly I think I've found my favorite car, I raced go-karts as a youth and always wished a car gave me that same neural sensation, this was the first car that has. I drove a friends corvette, fast on straights, handled ok, but gave no feeling of joy like riding in a mini sis the first time I drove a used on at a car dealer. I'm hooked, just want to make the right choice in cars. Keep feedback coming, lord knows I can't make a decision to save me. lol

Old 06-09-2007, 07:18 PM
minimaximini
3rd Gear
I had a R56 MC and I have now a R56 MCS...

...long story.

From the practical purpose, you will feel the difference if:
1. you use the air conditioning a lot (significant decrease in power - and I mean significant - in MC and much less in MCS);
2. you want to add "some" stuff that will ultimately "align" prices: i wanted the Xenon lights (that come in standard with the MCS Sports package but are 600$ extra for the MC, or the stainless steel pedals - standard in MCS but extra in MC - another 200$);
3. You really really care about the 3-4 MPG in the MC vs MCS. I had practical - not sticker - 24 MPG/32 MPG in MCS vs 27.5/36 MPG in MC - in the same driving conditions)
4. if you drive mostly in the city - the MC is more than enough;
5. you have non-runflats (if you buy the MCS and you wnat non-runflats - think about some additional expense for a spare)
6. you wand to add "tuning and performance items" down the line.
7. you want the feeling of "pedal to the metal" - much more
obvious but far less dramatic as some might say in MCS vs MC.

Those are my few thoughts. Aligned - the price difference is about 2.5K. Now - and that might be the BEST rason - if you wnat to keep the car either for a very short time (when resale value matters - or for a very long time - as I do - when the price difference is muh less significant divided over many years - than choose the MCS).

Hope that helps, MMM

Old 06-09-2007, 08:14 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Save the planet! Drive an MC...

...while I drive my MCS.

Old 06-09-2007, 09:11 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You'll have to make this decision on your own, I'm afraid. I've only owned Coopers and, while I've driven many MCSs, I always find the Cooper is a better match for what I want. If you want to mod a MINI, an MCS might be a better choice as Coopers have tended to be pretty much optimized from the factory. Yes, there is a whole group of JustaCooper track folks around here but most, you'll find, go for the MCS...mainly because they are lunatics.

(just kidding...but the car is pretty darn fast!!!)

Old 06-10-2007, 12:09 PM
srfrman7
3rd Gear
Has anyone driven the Manual MC? Does that have enough power for everyday driving and on the freeway?

I'm trying to decide also... I don't like to speed and usually just drive normal.

Thanks in advance.

Old 06-10-2007, 12:22 PM
Ex-Pat Brit
4th Gear
MCS Nuff said

Old 06-10-2007, 12:22 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Originally Posted by srfrman7
Has anyone driven the Manual MC? Does that have enough power for everyday driving and on the freeway?
Yup and yup. The Cooper is perfect for normal driving, but then I guess it also depends on what your expectations are. Some people like ultra-rapid accelleration for some odd reason, but in my view this is seldom needed or called for in normal driving, making the Cooper (which is certainly no slouch) absolutely perfect. One nice thing is the sixth gear on '07 Coopers...makes highway cruising even easier than before. Driving a Cooper is all about great handling and rowing the gears to use available power (plus somewhat better fuel economy) for fun, spirited driving. MCSs are for those w/ a raw need for speed...or more tickets.

Old 06-10-2007, 12:23 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Ex-Pat Brit
MCS Nuff said
Oh no, friend, not nuff said at all.

There must be at least two dozen threads on the subject....maybe more!!!!

Last edited by gokartride; 06-10-2007 at 12:30 PM. Reason: not enough smilies
Old 06-10-2007, 12:28 PM
kimmc
2nd Gear
I have a manual MC. I test drove an automatic MC and a manual MCS, and bought a manual MC. I did think the auto MC was a little sluggish - but then I don't like automatic cars. The manual trans has plenty of power for me, and I have no problem passing, and on the freeway. It's almost too easy to go over the speed limit. But, I'm not a speed-demon, nor will I ever take this car on the track.

I also don't get the reported above loss of power with the AC on. I tested this on my last road trip and didn't notice any difference from when the AC was on or off while driving up a hill (maybe this is an auto trans thing).

I only just passed break in, so I haven't been really pushing it yet. I live in the city, so it's hard to even get above 3rd gear tooling around. And I'm averaging 39.4 MPG - including city driving.

But if you have any doubts, and if power really is a concern for you, you should probably go with the MCS. There were other deciding factors for me - color (Nightfire Red which isn't in MCS) that I didn't want run flat tires, and gas milage. I'm really happy with the choice I made.

Old 06-10-2007, 02:46 PM
DancesWithTraffic
1st Gear
Due to competition with my mortgage, it was MC for me or no cooper at all. That said id moeny wasnt so much of an issue I would have been ALL over the MCS. Im italian, and its my driving responsibility to consider all traffic suggestions and to be in front. Driving the S was like trying to contain an excited puppy. So fun.
That said, I love my Coop for everyday driving around. I dont really have to be in front, since Ive got about 1000 miles, I really only panic & dance across lanes when I am behind trucks that are spitting rocks (grrr).
Oh and its worth noting that I have lovely north east coast freeways. Where everyone likes to be in front.

Old 06-10-2007, 03:16 PM
CUTiger3
3rd Gear
Life Is Short

You NEED the MCS

Old 06-10-2007, 03:22 PM
Ex-Pat Brit
4th Gear
The mini has always been about spirited driving, competition racing, but also a practical vehicle. The MINI in it's S or JCW versions really fits the bill.
I need an automatic for my back and knee, and for my wife's work (if I let her drive it LOL), and you can get spirited driving with the paddles.
I did not hesitate in choosing an MCS, but hey it's an "ordered" car. you get what you want.
It's kind of like buying a computer, spend as much as you can afford, and then just enjoy it

Last edited by Ex-Pat Brit; 06-10-2007 at 03:23 PM. Reason: very bad spelling and lack of my new MINI
Old 06-10-2007, 03:52 PM
mini matt
2nd Gear
I have an '07 manual MC w/premium pkg that I picked up May 5/07 and so far have no complaints. Sure it ain't the fastest light to light but I enjoy "working" the gears and corner carving which, by the way, it does better than the lowered 2000 GT Mustang I had. Having said that I do plan on adding a K&N CAI $325CAN and a cat back exhaust approx $750 (when avail) and probably some other misc mods (when avail). Here in BC, Canada the government gives you a $1000CAN rebate on the '07 manual MC but not on any of the other models so if you consider that into the price I just couldn't justify the extra $4000+CAN for the MCS. For that reason I didn't even test drive the MCS because I didn't want to tempt myself.

I'm sure what ever model you choose you'll be happy so it just boils down to how much the extra "go" is worth to ya. You can do a lot of customizing for $3000-$4000.

Old 06-10-2007, 03:58 PM
sdavid01
2nd Gear
Minpin,
If you are thinking about any performance mods in the future, I would definitely go with the S. How much money spent in the aftermarket would it require to gain the additional 54 horsepower of the S. I bought an 06 S and was awed by the power at first. Once used to it, it didn't take long to want more. I'm not a track person, just someone who enjoys the performance. Well handled performance can get you out of trouble on the road. The maneuvering (braking, turning, accelerating) ability of the car has gotten me out of more than just a few tight situations. Spend it now, you'll be happy you did.

sd

P.S. Don't forget the warranty issues with aftermarket.

Last edited by sdavid01; 06-10-2007 at 04:02 PM. Reason: Added data
Old 06-10-2007, 04:45 PM
minpin
1st Gear
Originally Posted by gokartride
Yup and yup. The Cooper is perfect for normal driving, but then I guess it also depends on what your expectations are. Some people like ultra-rapid accelleration for some odd reason, but in my view this is seldom needed or called for in normal driving, making the Cooper (which is certainly no slouch) absolutely perfect. One nice thing is the sixth gear on '07 Coopers...makes highway cruising even easier than before. Driving a Cooper is all about great handling and rowing the gears to use available power (plus somewhat better fuel economy) for fun, spirited driving. MCSs are for those w/ a raw need for speed...or more tickets.

gokartride I think hit the nail on the head for what I was feeling while driving both cooper and S model. The regular cooper in manual made me feel like I was more involved driving the car, a few more shifts here and there, while the S-model had so much oomph that I felt like it was driving me and not me driving it. In other words, I want a driving machine, actually I drove a pre 07' in manual and I liked the shift feel better on it than 07', BMW is giving the mini a Honda butter smooth short shift, which has it's advantages but takes away some of the allure associated with mini. Not sold yet on the cooper, but for normal roads I do think the non- S would probably be more fun, based on shifting more, and the great handling combined. While the Cooper S, I think would be better only on tracks with longer straights where horsepower will shine. I've also been hearing from some people who take mini's to tracks with shorter straight aways and autocross, that the mini can compete with the S, it's only the long straights where the S has obvious advantages. Keep the opinions coming, esp. if own an 07' either model.

Old 06-12-2007, 08:44 PM
rabelais
1st Gear
I'll be putting in an order very soon and I'm still debating between the MC and MCS. I've always driven a stick and part of the fun in driving a stick as gokartride noted is rowing the gears. Because of this I'm inclined towards the MC. For street driving the MC is more than adequately powered.

I am considering the MCS though because I do occasionally feel the need for lots of power such as when merging and and passing on the highways. The combination of short on ramps (and then there are those damn zippers), heavy rush hour traffic and the odd driver who feels the need to speed up when they see another car trying to merge into their lane have sometimes left me with the need to really stomp on the gas pedal. I also feel more comfortable passing on single lane highways when I know I've got plenty of power on demand.

I'm sure the MC will cruise comfortably at 90+ MPH, but how do do MC owners find the acceleration?<br>

Quick Reply: R56 07' MC or MCS ???