R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Head Lamps & Night Visibility

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 09:34 AM
Mini-LG
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Head Lamps & Night Visibility

Hi All,

Just picked up my new mini yesterday (with 2 miles on it)....a beautiful car and an amazing experience! Everything I had hoped for including a wooden shift **** that I hadn't ordered.

I took her out at night to test the headlamps (not the xenons) and was less than impressed with visibility on backroads. The "horizon line" or delineation between road and lights was not very far out making it necessary to keep the brights on. Do you think these lamps need to be adjusted? Is that even possible?

When I shine them on the garage door, they seem to be aimed properly, but on the road with even the slightest downhill incline, they aren't great. Can barely see 25 feet in front of the car. Or is this just something that happens on backroads?

Thank yoU!

LG

Old 06-10-2007, 09:38 AM
07chilired
5th Gear
Mine did the same thing...it just seemed like they weren't bright enough all the time. I switched out the bulbs to sylvannia silver stars H-13 on the advice of another club member....big difference for only $40.00 bucks!

Old 06-10-2007, 10:29 AM
Mini-LG
2nd Gear
thanks chilired for your reply!!

I looked up on the sylvania website for the bulb info and they asked if I had "HID" or replaceable halogen bulbs. I chose "replaceable" and these were the options they gave me....I don't see the H-13 you mentioned. Does this sound right? Should I try to mess around with the angle of the lamps I have before buying these? They seem bright enough, just don't extend beyond the car far enough. Many thanks!

Low beam headlamp:
H7
H7SU Silverstar ULTRA for Ultra Night Vision - The Whitest and Brightest Halogen
H7ST Silverstar High Performance Lighting: The Whiter and Brighter Halogen
H7XV XtraVision Halogen - The Brighter Light
H7CB Cool Blue Halogen - The Whiter Light
H7LL Long Life Halogen: Lasts two and a half times longer

Old 06-10-2007, 10:40 AM
alisor56
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by 07chilired
Mine did the same thing...it just seemed like they weren't bright enough all the time. I switched out the bulbs to sylvannia silver stars H-13 on the advice of another club member....big difference for only $40.00 bucks!
Sounds like a plan!
Yeah I think I need brighter lights, then again, I rarely take the mini out at night.
Any pics?

Old 06-10-2007, 10:45 AM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Mini-LG
I took her out at night to test the headlamps (not the xenons) and was less than impressed with visibility on backroads. The "horizon line" or delineation between road and lights was not very far out making it necessary to keep the brights on.
That's how I would describe the xenons. What's more, they are so bright that you are completely blinded to what is beyond the "horizon line".

Old 06-10-2007, 12:16 PM
Mgibrace
4th Gear
Robin, Have you confirmed your headlite adjustment? I thought others have mentioned their lites were too low from the dealer and profited from readjustment.

Old 06-10-2007, 12:25 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 121 Likes on 106 Posts
Originally Posted by Robin Casady
That's how I would describe the xenons.
That was my thought as well. If you see a sharp horizontal cutoff of the beam, you probably have the xenons (i.e. HID). There isn't much you can do with xenons beyond verifying the aim adjustment.

The xenons are easy to identify. They have dots of lights surrounding around the main projector lens, and an extra fixture for the headlight washer.

This is the halogen:

Old 06-10-2007, 12:30 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 104 Likes on 83 Posts
I have the xenons and there is a very sharp demarcation line in front of me, and it is slightly closer on the driver's side (so as not to blind oncoming cars). I'd like the line to be higher so I can see farther away, but I think that's the way they set them to aim. Mine do move up and down when I start the car in the garage so I think they are set up correctly.

Old 06-10-2007, 01:31 PM
Ken Cooper
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Mini-LG
thanks chilired for your reply!!

I looked up on the sylvania website for the bulb info and they asked if I had "HID" or replaceable halogen bulbs. I chose "replaceable" and these were the options they gave me....I don't see the H-13 you mentioned. Does this sound right? Should I try to mess around with the angle of the lamps I have before buying these? They seem bright enough, just don't extend beyond the car far enough. Many thanks!

Low beam headlamp:
H7
H7SU Silverstar ULTRA for Ultra Night Vision - The Whitest and Brightest Halogen
H7ST Silverstar High Performance Lighting: The Whiter and Brighter Halogen
H7XV XtraVision Halogen - The Brighter Light
H7CB Cool Blue Halogen - The Whiter Light
H7LL Long Life Halogen: Lasts two and a half times longer
Found this on Amazon.com:

http://www.amazon.com/Sylvania-H13XV.../dp/B000COCU8O

Old 06-10-2007, 02:13 PM
BFG9000
5th Gear
The sharp cutoff has nothing to do with xenon or halogen, but the ECE headlamp standards required for all cars sold in Europe. The SAE standards in FMVSS 108 permit much more light above the line, but most European cars sold in the USA come with the annoyingly sharp cutoff anyway--xenon or halogen.

Plus the movement up and down only signifies that the automatic adjustment for suspension height is functioning. Manual adjustment affects the aim at every suspension height.

Old 06-10-2007, 03:46 PM
msh441
6th Gear
My xenons were too low from the dealership. Lower still once the car got a 1" drop. Have the dealer check and adjust them before you buy new bulbs.