R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Problems with the R56?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 02:04 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
spam052--is this when the car is idling? If so, it's the direct fuel injectors and is perfectly normal. Some people say this sounds like a diesel, but I don't think it's that bad. It strikes me more like what the BMW M-cars sound like, as we heard them during last weekend's autocross.

Old 06-13-2007, 03:48 PM
spam052
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yes its when its idle. thnx for the info i was kind of worried

Old 06-13-2007, 07:01 PM
JohnnyF
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Aonach
Seems like there are a lot of ex-CRXers out there. I'll tell ya, we have been serially disappointed in driving new cars over the years. No offense to anyone, but my wife and I planned on getting the MC until we compared it to her CRX. Fortunately, they make the MCS! It's amazing what losing 800lb from a car will do for performance and gas mileage. Can't get away with a 1700lb car these days, though. Damn SUVs! Still gets 40mpg. Amazing. Honda really *&##!@*& up over the past few years. Nothing in their lineup.

Sorry for the irrelevant post.
I totally agree. I think it's kind of a natural thing for the type of person that was into the CRX-there's not much in the way of lightweight and fun cars these days. I would have been all over a CRX had they actually brought one out one of these years and not styled it like the rest of their cars and that Remix concept.
Sorry for adding to the irrelevant post.

Old 06-13-2007, 07:32 PM
oldsbear
6th Gear
Took delivery April 28. Now at 2900 miles. No issues. Still enthused!

Old 06-13-2007, 07:59 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Seriously, excess enthusiasm is my biggest issue with R56 right now.

Old 06-14-2007, 12:57 AM
gregdconsulting
2nd Gear
My first new car was a 1988 CRX, so there is a definite pattern here.

The only true flaw so far in my first 3 weeks is not a big deal. The passenger door lock button goes below the hole in the door panel. I tried to unscrew it thinking I could just unscrew it, put locktite on, and then screw it back on, just not as far. It wouldn't unscrew after some effort, maybe I just need to spend more time on it. I'm not taking it in for that cosmetic issue.

The car was delivered with 3 tires at the proper pressure and 1 much higher. The tire pressure warning indicator went off when I was in the middle of Idaho. I had to buy a gauge to verify, but once I bled off the excess air and reset the indicator all is well.

I have used the cruise control a lot and in different situations and it works fine. My first week of April build must have the latest software. I am happy that MINI figured out the software problem. It's not uncommon. In my 2000 Celica the cc software would drop out after about 25 mins. The dealer couldn't/wouldn't repro. I had to take Toyota service info from a Celica message board to get it fixed. In that case the new software also fixed the problem.

Greg

Old 06-14-2007, 01:33 AM
illeagalhunter
3rd Gear
Where do i start new arm rest, 3 new speakers, new footwell module, new clutch, flywheel, altinator, washer pump since the 1st March

Old 06-14-2007, 03:36 AM
Ken Cooper
4th Gear
Originally Posted by illeagalhunter
Where do i start new arm rest, 3 new speakers, new footwell module, new clutch, flywheel, altinator, washer pump since the 1st March
Yeah, sad that you got a lemon. But heck, I'll bet you still got good trade-in value when you bought that new Honda Civic earlier this month.

Is the Civic forum as interesting as this one?

Anyhow, sorry you've had to endure all these problems. I really think our distribution/car preparation centers here in the U.S. buffer us from many of the types of problems you've had to deal with.

Good luck.

Last edited by Ken Cooper; 06-14-2007 at 03:50 AM.
Old 06-14-2007, 11:20 PM
illeagalhunter
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Ken Cooper
Yeah, sad that you got a lemon. But heck, I'll bet you still got good trade-in value when you bought that new Honda Civic earlier this month.

Is the Civic forum as interesting as this one?

Anyhow, sorry you've had to endure all these problems. I really think our distribution/car preparation centers here in the U.S. buffer us from many of the types of problems you've had to deal with.

Good luck.
Well i paid £23000 & got £18400 on a trade in dont get the new car till

Old 08-14-2007, 08:20 AM
macdahac
1st Gear
We have had our '07 MCa for about a week now. Only problems have been the normal ones, i.e, check engine light and cruise control dropout. Deal states that a software update should take care of both issues. We have about 1,300 miles on it.

Old 08-14-2007, 08:28 AM
lucyl
2nd Gear
Had my MCSa for almost 3 months, 3500 miles.. Only had a few issues.

- Defective driver seat frame.. has a little more flex than normal. It's been replaced.

- The sunroof roof middle console rattles a lot. They put felt tape inside it that seem to reduce the noise.

- I recently noticed that my OBC will reset by itself. For example, I have the turn signals set to 3x... but it will mysteriously change to 1x. Happen twice.

I'm still very happy with the car.

Old 08-14-2007, 09:24 AM
andyde
5th Gear
1500 miles and no problems at all. I don't have the sun roof problems (crossing my fingers) and everything seems to be running normal.

I did get rid of the OEM run flats that we re causing the car to rattle a lot over uneven roads. Now the A/S tires, it rides soooo smooth.

P.S. I can't seem to get the garage door opener to work....

Old 08-14-2007, 09:48 AM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Lucyl, do you use both keys to your MINI? If so, that might be the problem. BOTH keys have to be programmed alike.

Old 08-14-2007, 09:58 AM
rooandren
6th Gear
Edit: Daf beat me to it! It's all in the key

Old 08-14-2007, 10:12 AM
surfblue
4th Gear
A-OK

2800 miles, no issues. Car drives great. Picked it up late April. Only issue is I don't have enough miles on it!!
Anybody remember back prior to release of the R56, when this forum was afire with naysayers dissing the new model? Notice that those naysayers have quietly gone away?

Originally Posted by illegalprelude
This might be a little too early but are there any problems to report yet with the R56. I know for example between the 01 and the 02 coopers, there was some nice refinments done to get things smoother. Is this going to be the case again or smooth sailing so far and no major glitches to report.

Old 08-14-2007, 11:08 AM
andyde
5th Gear
Originally Posted by surfblue
2800 miles, no issues. Car drives great. Picked it up late April. Only issue is I don't have enough miles on it!!
Anybody remember back prior to release of the R56, when this forum was afire with naysayers dissing the new model? Notice that those naysayers have quietly gone away?
that's what typically happens when a new model is about to b released, I've seen it too many times w/ Audi's and BMW's...

Nobody likes change..

Old 08-14-2007, 06:02 PM
Aonach
3rd Gear
Well I have had ours for 2 weeks now.

Some odd behavior. Let me know if anyone has any info on this:

I have lately noticed that my dash lights will dim. This includes the big speedo, radio, OBC area, and the gas light (which is the most noticeable since its so bright to begin with). This occurs randomly. I am in gear, usually high though and just taking it lightly (5th gear). The satellite radio also drops and says "Acquiring" The climate control display doesnt seem affected.

After a few seconds, the dash will brigthen up, the satellite radio will tune in, and all seems fine. Then it will happen again randomly. Not too often. Just enough to make me second guess myself.

It seems the alternator is not putting out enough juice. When I hit the pedal, it takes a couple of seconds, but then it lights up. I started wondering whether this has something to do with the fancy alternator config to save energy in the R56.

Anyone had anything similar? Any known issues here before I go calling the SA? Any help appreciated.

I will also post this in the problems forum as I know this is not quite the right place. Cheers.

Last edited by Aonach; 08-14-2007 at 06:06 PM.
Old 08-14-2007, 06:31 PM
Sowellman
6th Gear
About the only problem I'd had is that once in a while the comfort access system doesn't won't respond to me pushing on the black button on the door to either lock or unlock the car.

I either keep trying and it finally responds, or I pull out my key fob and try it from there. Boot latch does the same thing, but neither happens very often.

Only other thing, one day an "excessive emissions" light came on twice in short succession. Went off later and hasn't come back on since.

Oh, and they installed the telephone/voice command microphone on the British driver side rather than on the left. The mic works much better on the driver's side.

Old 08-15-2007, 04:49 PM
r56mini
6th Gear
Too good to be first model year car.... That's my problem.

Old 08-15-2007, 05:08 PM
andyde
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Aonach
Well I have had ours for 2 weeks now.

Some odd behavior. Let me know if anyone has any info on this:

I have lately noticed that my dash lights will dim. This includes the big speedo, radio, OBC area, and the gas light (which is the most noticeable since its so bright to begin with). This occurs randomly. I am in gear, usually high though and just taking it lightly (5th gear). The satellite radio also drops and says "Acquiring" The climate control display doesnt seem affected.

After a few seconds, the dash will brigthen up, the satellite radio will tune in, and all seems fine. Then it will happen again randomly. Not too often. Just enough to make me second guess myself.

It seems the alternator is not putting out enough juice. When I hit the pedal, it takes a couple of seconds, but then it lights up. I started wondering whether this has something to do with the fancy alternator config to save energy in the R56.

Anyone had anything similar? Any known issues here before I go calling the SA? Any help appreciated.

I will also post this in the problems forum as I know this is not quite the right place. Cheers.
I think I read of a similar problem but now I cant find it, sorry can't be of any more help but it would not hurt to have the dealer check it out...

Old 08-15-2007, 05:41 PM
Sowellman
6th Gear
Originally Posted by r56mini
Too good to be first model year car.... That's my problem.
I hear you. And then you worry that something big is going to come along and make up for it. Let's hope that doesn't happen.

Old 08-18-2007, 12:06 PM
grekal
1st Gear
rubber seal detaching from chrome trim at beltline on both 3/4 panels after 4 weeks

Old 08-18-2007, 03:20 PM
chili_red07
5th Gear
new clutch at 107 miles... but besides that no problems at all!

Old 07-12-2012, 01:07 AM
hawaiianmini
Neutral
2010, 15,000 mi. My passenger side door handle won 't unlock the door.
Background: I hit a turkey (a real one) last month, which took off my driver's side view mirror. Took it in for repairs and shortly after my wife complained of not being able to open the passenger door I took the car back to the repair shop to look at it and the mechanic said the door latch is worn and has excessive play causing the malfunction. It is not related to the accident. Called the dealer who is 100 miles away and he says they will have to charge me $135.00 for a diagnostic check as it may be related to my being in the accident.. The collision may have somehow affected the computer. Go figure. hopefully they will cover it under warranty. Otherwise, the car has been great.

Old 07-12-2012, 05:30 AM
AmazingGrayce
2nd Gear
[QUOTE=Aonach;1571618]Seems like there are a lot of ex-CRXers out there. I'll tell ya, we have been serially disappointed in driving new cars over the years.

Aonach, My red 1987 CRX was my first new car and I have never found another that gives me the thrill it did (for the money, especially!) I've been looking at the MC56 for several years and am finally getting one! I hope, as you mention, that this car is going to tickle my fun factor in a whole bunch of ways, and I can barely tolerate the wait! (maybe three more weeks) I also test drove the Hyundai Veloster and the Honda CRZ .... But I found the Hyundai seriously lacking, and the CRZ was merely a ghost of her predecessor. So...the "Justa" is going to be my next baby! Wish me luck!!!