R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Anyone have these feelings

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 06:59 PM
amazonracer
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone have these feelings

I think I need to see a shrink. I have bought many cars in my 48 years of living and almost always have some buyer remorse mainly due to the cost of cars and especially when I drop a cup of coffee in the car after 2 weeks. Ordering the R56 several weeks ago was fun for a awhile but it seems I am actually getting tired of waiting or loosing interest somewhat. Don't get me wrong, I want my car and I felt really good when the lounge said I was on a ship. Now it's seems to be dragging on and on.

Old 06-18-2007, 07:13 PM
emtrey
5th Gear
its the WAIT. Once your car hits the VPC you will regain interest. And once they hand you the keys (remote--whatever) its Yee Ha...
I am probably 2 weeks away from delivery and I have lost the lust I had when I placed the order.

My last car purchase was walk in Tues AM and drive home Thurs morning. One big buzz which is still going on since October.

Old 06-18-2007, 07:14 PM
Mgibrace
4th Gear
Hang in there! We're both old enough to remember that patience is a virtue(I know **** virtue, I want my car). We knew the wait would suck when we ordered. How can we not like these little cars? Per gets 5.7 sec avg 0-60 with runflats, handles like a kart and has got killer MPG. I've had a ton of fun cars thru the years(got a few on you) and this one is going to be a great all around car. Of course there are compromises, but what doesn't?

You're a west coast guy, right? So the wait's longer. It'll still rock when it gets here.

Old 06-18-2007, 07:24 PM
abbydog3
3rd Gear
Its just the wait, don't worry. I was the same in 2005, when I was waiting on mine.

When did it hit the VDC?

Old 06-18-2007, 07:32 PM
mondo07gk
2nd Gear
i just ordered my mini this sunday (6/17) and it seems the longer i wait, the more accesories and other mini stuff i'm gonna get. Ordered H&R springs, mc2 subscription and mini detailing dvd already! I don't even have my production number!

Old 06-18-2007, 07:34 PM
gchurchill
2nd Gear
it's worth the wait. I had an older model, and now have the new one. I think they are both awesome cars, but the new one is soooo awesome!!!!

Old 06-18-2007, 07:40 PM
freeland
4th Gear
I'm about your age and I'm waiting on a ride to the states right now with my first MINI. I'm a very fickle person. I've been wanting a new sports car for about 3 years, but never could pull the trigger because I was afraid I'd have immediate buyer's remorse. I finally decided that I could fret for 3 more years and it probably wouldn't get any better. You only live once and this isn't that much of a gamble. Buy it, drive it 6 months. If it's not for you, sell it for a couple of grand less than you paid and go on about your business. I'll bet that doesn't happen.

Good luck. Come here often and look at the pics for therapy.

Old 06-18-2007, 08:01 PM
Aonach
3rd Gear
Just ordered the MCS for my wife today. I plan on keeping up my interest during the wait by building MINE next!!! I can spend hours configuring!

Old 06-18-2007, 09:01 PM
NOLAMINI
1st Gear
Ya trust me the wait seems like forever (well for me it was in fact a while, four months and a reorder to be exact), but in the end it feels so good to have the car sitting in my driveway. I'm really bad at making up excuses to go driving and sometimes I just give up, take my keys and walk out the door. Coming from a 97 toyota camry that i would compare to driving a bar of soap, driving this car is a whole new take on driving for me. 2000 miles after I got it, I have not ceased to be amazed every time I take a corner or just plain accelerate in this thing. Ya the wait is longer the more you want something, but once you get in it the first time you'll understand why you wanted it in the first place. Good luck with the wait!

Old 06-18-2007, 09:06 PM
msh441
6th Gear
I never started to loose interest during my wait (and I wated close to 8-months!).

I did however get tempted 2 or 3 times by a few used MINIs that came down the pike. A couple works cars and a tastefully modded '04. Passed on them all, though. Glad I did. I'm very happy with the '07.

Old 06-18-2007, 10:42 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Better to lose intrest a little while you wait than to have post-delivery depression after the antisipation high is gone. Sometimes reality just can't match the imagination. As a child, ever feel a little down after opening all the Christmas presents? All the antisipation and excitement is over and there you are with just toys. If you are bored waiting, it should be easier to make the adjustment to enjoying the actual car.

O.T. Anyone miss me? I'm back from a harrowing stay in a hospital ICU. Thought I'd bought the farm there for awhile.

Old 06-19-2007, 02:43 AM
glangford
6th Gear
I had a long wait, having to reorder once (MFSW problem). My car arrived,not per spec, reordered and had to wait all over again. I lost interest somewhat as well, but in the end when it arrived all was good again.

Robin- are you ok??

Old 06-19-2007, 03:14 AM
Skuzzy
OVERDRIVE
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is a mental protection system your phyche uses to keep your emotional state in check. When it works right, it prevents mental instabilities and wild bouts of extreme behavior.

When it does not work, ya get me.

Old 06-19-2007, 05:37 AM
Gmund
Neutral
I have ordered and owned many cars including 4 porsches, the last being the Cayman. With my 04 and this 07 MCS I can tell you that there has not been one thing ( and I mean It) that I was dissatisfied with when I recieved it. No complaints absolutely. So hang in there The ride is worth the journey

Old 06-19-2007, 05:45 AM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
PM "LynnEl". He was having very similar issues when his MINI was on order. He's had his for a few months now, IIRC. Ask him about your mental state and I'm sure he'll have some positive words for you.

Old 06-19-2007, 06:35 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree...you psyche is protecting itself. See how you feel between getting a call from your MA and taking delivery. You should see a spike then. Of course, nothing beats some good-time motoring after all the drama subsides and the car is yours...that's where the real love begins.

Old 06-19-2007, 06:37 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Chili Red & Pepper White
PM "LynnEl". He was having very similar issues when his MINI was on order. He's had his for a few months now, IIRC. Ask him about your mental state and I'm sure he'll have some positive words for you.
I was just gonna say, I experienced the same thing. No need to PM me, though, as the posts here pretty well cover it.

Old 06-19-2007, 06:38 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Robin Casady
Better to lose intrest a little while you wait than to have post-delivery depression after the antisipation high is gone. Sometimes reality just can't match the imagination. As a child, ever feel a little down after opening all the Christmas presents? All the antisipation and excitement is over and there you are with just toys. If you are bored waiting, it should be easier to make the adjustment to enjoying the actual car.

O.T. Anyone miss me? I'm back from a harrowing stay in a hospital ICU. Thought I'd bought the farm there for awhile.
I didn't notice you were gone (sorry), but glad to hear you didn't buy a farm.

Old 06-19-2007, 06:49 AM
LadyAquila
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by freeland
...Come here often and look at the pics for therapy.
I haven't decided yet if this board is good therapy, or if it's just contributing to my OCD! :impatient

Old 06-19-2007, 07:18 AM
Skuzzy
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by Robin Casady
<snip>O.T. Anyone miss me? I'm back from a harrowing stay in a hospital ICU. Thought I'd bought the farm there for awhile.
I just assumed you were out motoring about. So, what's the poop scoop?

Old 06-19-2007, 11:17 AM
amazingrando
Auto on Sport Button guy
Every day I'm stuck driving my 15 passenger dodge gas guzzling behemoth of a van, I'm given an oh so pleasant wonderful reminder of how much I CANT STAND WAITING FOR MY MINI!!!!!! I have looked at other cars during the wait time, thinking maybe there would be something else I would like, no wait, get the car and be done with it...only one problem...I only end up wanting my cooper that much more. I WANT MY CAR....NOW!

Old 06-19-2007, 12:50 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Skuzzy
I just assumed you were out motoring about. So, what's the poop scoop?
I'll explain in a new thread titled "Organ Transplant" in Off Topic. If you are a bit squeemish you may not want to read the third part.

Old 06-20-2007, 08:03 AM
Hogtied
4th Gear
Originally Posted by amazonracer
I think I need to see a shrink. I have bought many cars in my 48 years of living and almost always have some buyer remorse mainly due to the cost of cars and especially when I drop a cup of coffee in the car after 2 weeks. Ordering the R56 several weeks ago was fun for a awhile but it seems I am actually getting tired of waiting or loosing interest somewhat. Don't get me wrong, I want my car and I felt really good when the lounge said I was on a ship. Now it's seems to be dragging on and on.
Good post.. Your comments are one of the reasons why I'm psyched about being presented with an opportunity to buy a car off the lot NOW, vs waiting 6-8 weeks. Even at full MSRP plus a couple hundred in BS charges, it all boils down to "time is money".

At my age, I'd better buy the car now...

Last edited by Hogtied; 06-20-2007 at 08:09 AM.
Old 06-20-2007, 08:23 AM
Ex-Pat Brit
4th Gear
There are many highs and lows.
The excitement of choosing and ordering.
The antcipation of productuion numbers and vins. :impatient
The confusuion of MINI's useless tracking system
The joy when your baby is on the ship
The disbelief when your MA tells you it isn't
The depression when financing falls through a week from delivery.
The picture I'd like to get of my MA's face when my baby rolls off the truck because he thinks it's in Mid-Atlantic