R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Strange Comfort Access Event

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 07:47 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Strange Comfort Access Event

I always use the comfort access feature. Normally, I park in the driveway, behind my step-son's Firebird, which is in the car port and not generally used. The Firebird is at the mecahnic, so I parked in the carport. There is a door on the side of the carport which does into our kitchen. On the wall next to that door is where we hang or keys, including the other key to the MINI (which I never set preferences with). Well, after starting the MINI yesterday with the key I always use, I discovered all of my settings (radio presets, A/C, door locks, etc.) were gone. Last night, I removed the "spare" key from it's spot on the key rack and reset all my preferences. Today, everything was okay. So, is it possible that the MINI sensed both keys at the same time and deleted all the presets??

Old 06-19-2007, 08:07 AM
MIN 18
3rd Gear
that's certainly a possibility. If the 2nd key is in range of the comfort access system, the system might read the 2nd key and not the 1st

Old 06-19-2007, 08:43 AM
dneal
4th Gear
I'd blame the Step-son. That's what they're for!

Old 06-19-2007, 08:51 AM
Birdman
6th Gear
It didn't "delete" the presets. Te presets are stored in the key FOB. So it just saw the 2nd key fob, which had no presets in it (since you ever used it...). Then when you got back in the next day with your regular key fob, the presets were back.

Old 06-19-2007, 11:54 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Birdman
It didn't "delete" the presets. Te presets are stored in the key FOB. So it just saw the 2nd key fob, which had no presets in it (since you ever used it...). Then when you got back in the next day with your regular key fob, the presets were back.
Nope. When I used my key, none of my presets were there. I had to redo them. That's why I think the problem was caused by the car getting signals from both keys.

Old 06-19-2007, 11:55 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Originally Posted by dneal
I'd blame the Step-son. That's what they're for!

I already blame him for losing my hair, even though that happened 20 years before I knew him.

Old 06-19-2007, 12:31 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
oh throwing this one out there. What if it used the key inside the house when you got in and ignored your key completely? Then it saw your key the next time instead? I used to have issues like that with my Corvette and Mercedes. If I had the spare keys in the key safe (safe is a glorified description) any way, in some cases even though the key was in the car or near it, it would still see the key in the garage. Then after driving away it would go back to my key if I cycled the system.

Just my two cents.

Old 06-19-2007, 12:33 PM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Yeah, except next time it saw my key, it didn't use that key's settings. Everything was cleared and I had to reprogram all my user settings.

Old 06-19-2007, 12:36 PM
Skuzzy
OVERDRIVE
As I have never been able to change/set any option in Romi, I figure both keys appear the same to her, so I cannot test this out.

It is good she came set with reasonable defaults.

Old 06-19-2007, 12:39 PM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Why not have the dealer take a look? What about radio station presets?

Old 06-19-2007, 12:48 PM
dneal
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Skuzzy
As I have never been able to change/set any option in Romi, I figure both keys appear the same to her, so I cannot test this out.

It is good she came set with reasonable defaults.
I'm not sure I understand. You can't change any of the settings period? or you don't see any difference in settings between keys (even though you've set them differently)?

Example - My wife's key is set to autolock the car, and mine's not.

The easiest way to find out is to enter the board computer through the radio, and set the speedo display for one key to km/h and the other to mph.

Old 06-19-2007, 12:51 PM
Skuzzy
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by LynnEl
Why not have the dealer take a look? What about radio station presets?
I never listen to the radio so I dunt(tm) about that one. Yeah, I am going to take Romi in and have them take a look.

Originally Posted by dneal
I'm not sure I understand. You can't change any of the settings period? or you don't see any difference in settings between keys (even though you've set them differently)?

Example - My wife's key is set to autolock the car, and mine's not.

The easiest way to find out is to enter the board computer through the radio, and set the speedo display for one key to km/h and the other to mph.
The options are not there according the what is supposed to the be there in the manual. For instance, I cannot set the external notification of a fob button press to make sound. It just flashes the lights and that is all. I cannot change it.

I cannot change the 3 flash thingy for the turn signals as the option is not there to change. I probably burned up a half a tank of gas idling in the driveway trying to change that option.

I managed to set the date and time.

The rest appear to be only viewable and cannot be altered.

Last edited by Skuzzy; 06-19-2007 at 12:55 PM.
Old 06-19-2007, 01:09 PM
dneal
4th Gear
I haven't tried changing the settings with the engine running. Did you try it with just the ignition on? Put the key in like you're going to start the car, then press the start/stop button (but don't depress the brake). That should turn the ignition on but not start the engine. The settings should be available and somewhat easily adjustable (well, as easy as it's gonna get with the odd push/push and hold button interface).

BTW - There is no external audible notification unless you have the alarm. You can set the lights to flash when you unlock the car, but not when you lock it.

Old 06-19-2007, 01:12 PM
Loony2N
6th Gear
You can change them with the engine running. However, what is in the manual ain't what's on the car. For example, the manual says I can set the sensetivity of the headlamp auto on. My car (and the dealer) says I can't. I do believe mine has the 3 flash signal option, though, but I don't use that.

Old 06-19-2007, 01:46 PM
Skuzzy
OVERDRIVE
Remeber, I have comfort access. No key to put in.

With just the ignition on, all I can see is a subset of the options I see when the engine is running. For instance, I cannot get to the key with the check mark symbol unless I start the engine. I think that is the symbol that is missing. Been a while since I tried it.

I understand not all options are available and they are based on what options you have installed from the factory. But the only options I appear to be able to set is the date and time, no matter what state the engine/ignition is in.

No biggy to me at this time. The defaults are reasonable. I figure because it is an MC they do not let you play with the toys.

Old 06-19-2007, 01:52 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 104 Likes on 83 Posts
Originally Posted by LynnEl
Yeah, except next time it saw my key, it didn't use that key's settings. Everything was cleared and I had to reprogram all my user settings.
Are you sure they were cleared? By that I mean did you take key #2 and put it far away, then use your key?
When I got my Mini from the dealer the MA did some settings (the turn signal to 3, door locks, blutooth, no radio settings). He had my key in the slot, but the other key was in the car I think. And I brought it home with the other key in the car and didn't take it out for like a day. Nothing was cleared out, and I did a few radio presets before I drove home.

Last edited by TheBigNewt; 06-19-2007 at 01:55 PM.
Old 06-19-2007, 03:12 PM
Motoring
5th Gear
Everyone has the same key, and the same place to put it... right next to the start button.

You just don't have to stick yours there to start your car.

By the way, you have an actual key, look on the back side of the disk, push the silver button, viola, Key!

Old 06-19-2007, 03:21 PM
Skuzzy
OVERDRIVE
I know about the key, but with comfort access I do not have to load the fob to program the car.

Or do I have to load the fob to program her? Hmmm. If that is the case, she will stay the way she is. I dang near ripped a dash apart on the test drive trying to get that fob out of the docking port.

It was what made me decide if I was going to have a Mini, I would have to have comfort access. I just dunt(tm) know the trick to getting a fob out of the docking port. I am sure it is something simple. I just dunt(tm) know what it is.

Old 06-19-2007, 03:45 PM
kimmc
2nd Gear
With just the ignition on, all I can see is a subset of the options I see when the engine is running. For instance, I cannot get to the key with the check mark symbol unless I start the engine. I think that is the symbol that is missing.
Just push the start/stop button again without pressing in the clutch. This turns it on to a halfway mode that allows you to change the settings. You may want to try this with the fob in the dock.

As for the fob - getting it in and out - slip it in until it clicks. Your basic set of functions should come on then (radio, windows, etc.) To get it out, just push it in again. It will disengage and you can take it out.

At least this is how it works without comfort access...

Old 06-19-2007, 04:40 PM
hailpurdue
2nd Gear
I know about the key, but with comfort access I do not have to load the fob to program the car.

Or do I have to load the fob to program her? Hmmm. If that is the case, she will stay the way she is. I dang near ripped a dash apart on the test drive trying to get that fob out of the docking port.

It was what made me decide if I was going to have a Mini, I would have to have comfort access. I just dunt(tm) know the trick to getting a fob out of the docking port. I am sure it is something simple. I just dunt(tm) know what it is.
The fob need not be in the dock, but you do have to have the car on to change any functions. Once you get into they system, the key with the plus sign, you have to depress the button on the headlamps to get into the specific items you want to change. Also, RTFM

Lynne, as for your problem, the car either read the other key fob instead of yours, so all of those presets should have loaded, and wouldn't have changed until you restarted the car with just your fob in the car.... Or you somehow erased the memory on the fob itself. I'm not sure how that would happen, but if people can erase their credit cards with magnets, maybe it's possible to do to a key fob.

Old 06-19-2007, 06:09 PM
colea
3rd Gear
I understand not all options are available and they are based on what options you have installed from the factory. But the only options I appear to be able to set is the date and time, no matter what state the engine/ignition is in.
The only options I can set with my turn signal stalk are also date and time. But I have the sat/nav, and can set a whole flock of options using the sat/nav display joystick.

It doesn't sound from your sig description like you have the sat/nav. But maybe your software is somehow thinking that you do, and so expects all options to be set with the (nonexistent?) sat/nav system?

Just a WAG,

Old 06-19-2007, 07:15 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 104 Likes on 83 Posts

. But the only options I appear to be able to set is the date and time, no matter what state the engine/ignition is in.
I can set all kinds of options that are under INFO (no car running). Stuff like what unlocks when you press the outside button, if the lights go out or stay on for a time when the car turns off, the usual stuff. Check the manual (I had to). I think you'll find it's doable with the comfort access or not.

Old 06-19-2007, 07:27 PM
DanF
5th Gear
I never listen to the radio so I dunt(tm) about that one. Yeah, I am going to take Romi in and have them take a look.

The options are not there according the what is supposed to the be there in the manual. For instance, I cannot set the external notification of a fob button press to make sound. It just flashes the lights and that is all. I cannot change it.

I cannot change the 3 flash thingy for the turn signals as the option is not there to change. I probably burned up a half a tank of gas idling in the driveway trying to change that option.
Oh and by the way, the car does not have to be running when you do this, in fact it may not even work with the car running.
I managed to set the date and time.

The rest appear to be only viewable and cannot be altered.
Skuzzy, to set the blinker to 3 blinks go to the menu where it says 1 blink and hold the button until the 1 blink and 3 blink options both appear. Then press again for the 3 blink option. As far as I could tell it did not say this in the manual but after playing around for awhile I found this.

Last edited by DanF; 06-19-2007 at 07:31 PM.
Old 06-19-2007, 07:29 PM
Birdman
6th Gear
Is it possible, you have to put the FOB into the slot, in order to change any programming, even though you have the "comfort access" option?? Since the settings are all stored in the FOB, maybe you have to plug it in to make programming changes.....???

Old 06-19-2007, 07:32 PM
DanF
5th Gear

Another thing, the car should not be running when programming. Just have the key in the slot.

Quick Reply: R56 Strange Comfort Access Event