R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 The Official Mellow Yellow Owners Club

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 08:45 PM
Ken G.
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you. I've noticed there aren't too many "all-over" yellows around. Yeah, there's something slightly un-Mini about having the roof match the sides, but I kinda like the "unusual usual-ness" of it.

Old 06-13-2008, 07:53 AM
Greg Davis
4th Gear
Thanks for the warm welcome. As soon as he arrives, I'll share some picts. Just trying to decide whcih black wheels to go with.

Old 06-13-2008, 07:57 AM
D Unit
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Greg Davis
Thanks for the warm welcome. As soon as he arrives, I'll share some picts. Just trying to decide whcih black wheels to go with.
Now you're talking! I went with OZ Ultraleggeras! Team Dynamics has some pretty nice ones too....

Originally Posted by Ken G.
Thank you. I've noticed there aren't too many "all-over" yellows around. Yeah, there's something slightly un-Mini about having the roof match the sides, but I kinda like the "unusual usual-ness" of it.
I couldn't have said it better myself... I got a MY/MY myself...

Old 06-14-2008, 06:14 PM
saturn
4th Gear
OK everyone, I'm thinking about getting these 18" rims. Yes they are kinda pricey, around $350-$400 a rim, but i'm thinking how awesome they would look on my car?
What do you guys think?
Name:  rims.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  4.1 KB

Old 06-14-2008, 06:36 PM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
They will look good if the yellow is an exact match.

Old 06-15-2008, 06:58 AM
Duffer
3rd Gear
Ultraleggeras

Originally Posted by D Unit
I can show you in about a week. I just bought a set and they should be here next week.
Pics?

Old 06-15-2008, 09:41 AM
D Unit
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Duffer
Pics?
My black ultraleggeras have been sitting in boxes in my garage for about a week. Right now I'm torn because I don't want to put them on until my car is lowered and don't know if I should go all out on coilvers or just get some springs and control arms?

For now, what color do you think I should powdercoat my r56 calipers? Yellow? Red? Or ORANGE? If I go yellow, I'm afraid it might not match or over match. If I go red, I think it will look okay. If I go orange I think it would look nice because it would match the amber that's on the car.

Old 06-19-2008, 07:52 AM
pigbat
1st Gear
Originally Posted by mellowmcs
few more pics
I like the yellow Z3 Coupe in the garage. M?

Old 06-19-2008, 09:34 AM
mellowmcs
5th Gear
Originally Posted by pigbat
I like the yellow Z3 Coupe in the garage. M?
Yep 2000 M Coupe.

Old 06-19-2008, 01:55 PM
laundrygal
1st Gear
Mellow Yellow with Tuscan Beige?

Hey guys,

I'm still getting my plans together for my order. Has anyone seen a Mellow Yellow with Tuscan Beige interior? I love both but am unsure if they go together. I have looked through the forums and galleries but have not had luck finding an example which means either these two shades look terrible together or ... it's just very uncommon?

The reason I am looking at this combination is that I am not a big fan of black.

Thanks!

-sarah

Old 06-19-2008, 02:53 PM
MINIspud
5th Gear
Tuesday or Wednesday and I will be an offical club member. woot!

Old 06-19-2008, 04:12 PM
extremevalues
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by MINIspud
Tuesday or Wednesday and I will be an offical club member. woot!
I'll be about a week behind you! Motoring in Mellow Yellow, ahhhh, I like the sound of that!

Old 06-19-2008, 05:43 PM
MiniMama2
2nd Gear
I'll be an official member hopefully a week behind you too Minispud. That is if the SNH comes in tomorrow and there aren't problems with transport to upper Midwest!

Old 06-19-2008, 06:15 PM
Ken G.
4th Gear
Hi, Sarah. I've own an all Mellow Yellow MCS, with the Tuscan Beige leather AND the English Oak dash.

I really, really like it. I think the lighter color makes the interior feel more "friendly" than the dark interiors and it gives the interior a pleasent airy feel. The leather is a nice match to the exterior color and has turned out to be a pleasent way to carry the yellow theme to the interior without being too bright. It looks REALLY cool at night with the mood lighting set to any color, the beige reflects the light well.

I looked at the other M-Y cars with the dark interiors. I found they were just too dark for what is a fundamentally bright, cheery color.

If you're interested in the oak, I've found it's really well done and adds a nice "organic" feel. I can't tell, however, if the pieces are solid wood, wood veneer or faux, only because they're really well finished and look almost too good.

I'll get some photos of the car and the interior posted before too long. Also, I think this is a pretty uncommon combination. I know there are very few all M-Y Minis about and I haven't see too many Tuscan Beige interiors, either.

Originally Posted by laundrygal
Hey guys,

I'm still getting my plans together for my order. Has anyone seen a Mellow Yellow with Tuscan Beige interior? I love both but am unsure if they go together. I have looked through the forums and galleries but have not had luck finding an example which means either these two shades look terrible together or ... it's just very uncommon?

The reason I am looking at this combination is that I am not a big fan of black.

Thanks!

-sarah

Last edited by Ken G.; 06-19-2008 at 06:17 PM.
Old 06-19-2008, 06:27 PM
laundrygal
1st Gear
Hi Ken,

That is EXACTLY the scheme I was thinking of - MY body, roof, Tuscan interior with English Oak. We were at the dealer tonight and although they did not have any MY, they did have one with Tuscan beige. We could not get in it because it was still wrapped up but the backseat showed off the leather well. It really does look beautiful and I'm glad to hear it goes well with the MY. It was pretty pale -- I was worried it would be too brown or orangey.

I was leaning toward the Nightfire Red (I am going to order a base, not an S), but this info sways me. If you do get pictures to upload, I would love to look at them. Did you get the Tuscan beige accessories (steering wheel, brake, shifter)?

Not to worry - I am in Virginia so if I do go MY, we will not be invading each other's space.

-sarah

Old 06-19-2008, 06:58 PM
Ken G.
4th Gear
Not too worry, more mellow yellow in the world can only make the world more, well, mellow I would hope. Besides, Luigi would like the company, MY is too much fun to keep to yourself.

Anyway, I got the black leather wheel and details, but I can't think of any reason you shouldn't go with the beige for these, I think it would look nice.

To be honest, I've always been one for variety, so I hadn't even thought of getting those in beige until you mentioned it. I'll try to get some nice shots of the car tomorrow and get them posted.

Old 06-20-2008, 04:43 AM
MINIspud
5th Gear
I havnt read through this whole thread in a while, so this may have been asked already but...

What made you all pick the MY? It has been my experience that when telling folks the color I picked, they all give the same grimace look.

I picked it b/c I actually like yellow on some cars. More specificly the ones with the sport stripes on them. Like the corvette...viper etc....

2nd reason is, out of all the colors I see on the road MY I see the least. I like that I would have a more unique color.

I do have to admit if they made nightfire red for the MCS, i would have picked that though..

Old 06-20-2008, 07:51 AM
y-gro-up
1st Gear
I havnt read through this whole thread in a while, so this may have been asked already but...

What made you all pick the MY? It has been my experience that when telling folks the color I picked, they all give the same grimace look.

I picked it b/c I actually like yellow on some cars. More specificly the ones with the sport stripes on them. Like the corvette...viper etc....

2nd reason is, out of all the colors I see on the road MY I see the least. I like that I would have a more unique color.

I do have to admit if they made nightfire red for the MCS, i would have picked that though..
I picked MY/MY because , as you said, you don't see many out there. I live in the Chicago area where we have 3 dealers to choose from.....out of all of the minis I have seen around here, I have only seen one other MY cooper S....and it had a black roof! I love my choice and I don't think I would change a thing!

Old 06-20-2008, 09:23 AM
mellowmcs
5th Gear

I like yellow I've had 3 yellow cars including the MINI. I still have my 2000 M Coupe in dakar yellow. I was going to buy R53 in Liquid Yellow but when I was finally ready to order it, they discontinued Liquid Yellow for MCS. It would have been nice, as Liquid yellow closely matches Dakar yellow.

Old 06-20-2008, 09:12 PM
Ken G.
4th Gear
I hadn't set out to get a yellow car, but when I was researching the Mini I found a car listed in the inventory that matched the price and equipment that I wanted. I also had a ex-car saleperson friend suggest we get a bright color because one of her other friends bought a dark Mini that got hit twice, the second time as it left the shop after being repaired from the first collision.

Anyway, when we got to the dealer, here was this all MY Mini with the nice wood accents and beige interior and the whole thing just looked really nice and cheerful. We got the new owner presentation and took the drive and we were sold. Now, I can't imagine owning anything else, even the BRG that first tempted me (I tend to be an anglophile).

Turns out yellow vehicles runs in the family, my dad's first car was a yellow 1934 Ford and his Ford Ranger is yellow, too.

Old 06-22-2008, 08:00 AM
pilotart
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Added some 'more' Yellow!

Drove (over two hours) to the MINI Dealer (Furman MINI of Tampa Bay) to see and sit in the seats, convinced that it was blue/white that I would be ordering.

All the seats felt too firm for me, but when Oliver Morris showed us the Mellow Yellow Cooper, that was it!!!

Pepper White would have been second choice, for a more subdued appearance, blues were off-the-chart, so much for online color picking.

Thinking of Autos that just jump-to-mind in Yellow, the first 'Sports-Car' or early Twentieth Century Stutz Bearcat could only look right in Yellow/Black.

Of course, taxicabs and schoolbuses choose yellow for visibility, but that is important to me as well, driving a small car in a sea of giants.

Other 'great in yellow' automobiles include the Auburn and Packard Boatails, Cord 810's, Raymond Lowrey's '53 Studebaker Coupes, '57 Chevy's
and these models (like the MINI's) also look great in any color.
__________________________________________________ _____

Just added some more Yellow in mine;

Wet Okole w/lumbars on four inch deep, 5 lb. "T-Foam" (memory foam).

Waiting delivery of some more of that Solar Yellow laminated neoprene material for the armrests.

Old 06-22-2008, 10:32 AM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Those are going to look great! I am saving up for some Redline shift/brake boots in yellow black to add a little more color inside.

Old 06-23-2008, 01:42 PM
tedbone72P
3rd Gear

MY was 1st choice. . .his name is STEELER as in Pittsburgh Steelers. MY/Wh MY colorline only colors for me. Also IMO MY looks the fastest along with Chili Red. . .lol

Attached Thumbnails The Official Mellow Yellow Owners Club-bo_grille_lights_side.jpg  
Old 06-23-2008, 02:06 PM
russr
5th Gear

My sister in law asked me yester what made me pick yellow. When I told her that I loved the color, she said something along the lines of, "oh really?". Not everyone likes the color.

Old 06-23-2008, 02:23 PM
extremevalues
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by pilotart
Just added some more Yellow in mine;

Wet Okole w/lumbars on four inch deep, 5 lb. "T-Foam" (memory foam).

Waiting delivery of some more of that Solar Yellow laminated neoprene material for the armrests.
I'm loving those seat covers. Just another thing I'll have to have.

Quick Reply: R56 The Official Mellow Yellow Owners Club