R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 The Official Mellow Yellow Owners Club

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 05:28 PM
kevinminict
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by darthguru
Hi all... just a quick post to say I just picked my new Mellow Yellow MCS with JCW package about 9 days ago. I love this car!!! Glad to be part of the MY club.
Can you post me some pics of your mellow yellow with the JCW body kit please? I am thinking about getting the jcw body kid, I want it badly!

Old 07-19-2008, 10:10 AM
meadbar
2nd Gear
Heres my today

Old 07-19-2008, 10:18 AM
kevinminict
4th Gear
Dont see anything

Old 07-19-2008, 06:51 PM
D Unit
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DanQ
Unless you re putting an aftermarket big brake kit on, I wouldn't paint the stock calipers any other color than stock. It looks cheesy "in my opinion" when people paint stock parts red or yellow or body color to make it "look" like they have a big bucks brake upgrade. It doesn't fool anyone.

Re-Paint in stock colors if the calipers are rusty (Black or silver)

Just an opinion, of course do what ever makes you happy, life is too short!
I know exactly what you mean--this is exactly how I felt when I had my M3. That being said, I'm currently in the process of painting all my calipers. I already painted the rears black with VHT caliper paint. For the fronts, I was about to go with the red Duplicolor epoxy at Autozone, but went back last minute and returned it for orange VHT "FlameProof" header paint.

Thanks for everyone's feedback... much appreciated.

Old 07-20-2008, 08:14 PM
deanc2007
Neutral
Need input on mirror caps.

I just bought an all MY MCS 2008 with MY/MY. I'm wanting to add some different colors to the car to not be so overwhelmed by the yellow color. I'm going to add a Union Jack Rear view mirror cover, Union Jack valve stem covers too.

I don't want to make big changes as I think that the color is an excellent color, but having it on both the body and the roof make it a bit "monotonous". I went to the "Same color on body and roof club" thread and, looking the those cars, it's the same thing (regardless of the color). So I want to add just a little bit of other colors to lessen the monotony of having so much of the Mellow Yellow.

I'm considering adding stripes, but EVERYONE has stripes on their Minis, and I want to be different. If I were to add stripes, it would probably be white and not black.

Here is my question:

How would Union Jack mirror caps look on this car? The car is still at the dealer being detailed. Anyone have a picture of a Mellow Yellow Mini with Union Jack mirror caps? I'm thinking maybe have them in black instead, as that will lessen the yellow, but still make it look tough.

What do you guys think?

Dean.

Old 07-21-2008, 06:59 AM
mellocooper
4th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
We were thinking of getting union jacks on something but I'm not sure that the colors get along.

Old 07-21-2008, 08:04 AM
MiniO
3rd Gear
I will be picking up my 08 Cooper Mellow Yellow with Black roof and mirrors this week. I have gotten BlackJack scuttles and BlackJack sun roof decal.
I will post pictures for you as soon as I get it.

Old 07-21-2008, 08:20 AM
Riffster
4th Gear
Originally Posted by deanc2007
I just bought an all MY MCS 2008 with MY/MY. I'm wanting to add some different colors to the car to not be so overwhelmed by the yellow color. I'm going to add a Union Jack Rear view mirror cover, Union Jack valve stem covers too.

I don't want to make big changes as I think that the color is an excellent color, but having it on both the body and the roof make it a bit "monotonous". I went to the "Same color on body and roof club" thread and, looking the those cars, it's the same thing (regardless of the color). So I want to add just a little bit of other colors to lessen the monotony of having so much of the Mellow Yellow.

I'm considering adding stripes, but EVERYONE has stripes on their Minis, and I want to be different. If I were to add stripes, it would probably be white and not black.

Here is my question:

How would Union Jack mirror caps look on this car? The car is still at the dealer being detailed. Anyone have a picture of a Mellow Yellow Mini with Union Jack mirror caps? I'm thinking maybe have them in black instead, as that will lessen the yellow, but still make it look tough.

What do you guys think?

Dean.
I would go with the black and gray union jack. I dont know how the blue and red would look in person but when i was thinking about it you will have a red, blue and yellow mini-- those are the primary colors.

First thing i think of is that your mini will either look like the circus, or a blow pop wrapper.

That is what i think of, but i have never seen this combo in person, so i dont really know what it would look like so sorry to anyone out there who has union jack on their MY!!!

Old 07-21-2008, 09:28 AM
Sowellman
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mellocooper
We were thinking of getting union jacks on something but I'm not sure that the colors get along.
That was my thought that the reds and blues just wouldn't go with the yellow very well. I would like to see how it would look, though.

Old 07-21-2008, 10:01 AM
pilotart
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Photo below is from post #363 of this thread.
Originally Posted by saturn

Am I the only one with a Mellow Yellow Union Jack on the Roof?
Above looks nice with White Roof, should also go with Mellow Yellow Roof.

Old 07-21-2008, 06:52 PM
y-gro-up
1st Gear
Do whatever makes you happy

I agree that too much can make a car look like a circus act. I thought about the union jacks but chickened out at the last minute.

I have stripes like alot of other cars and also added some checkered side scuttles and added the "S" to the them. I am all done for now......

Attached Thumbnails The Official Mellow Yellow Owners Club-dscn1437.jpg  
Old 07-21-2008, 06:56 PM
Sowellman
6th Gear
Originally Posted by y-gro-up
Do whatever makes you happy I have stripes like alot of other cars and also added some checkered side scuttles and added the "S" to the them. I am all done for now......
You may be due for a new paint job. The acid rain has taken your mellow yellow and turned it sour.

Old 07-21-2008, 09:42 PM
D Unit
4th Gear
Here's how she stands now... I got some KW Variant 3s and Eibach rear control arms on their way, so I'll take a proper photoshoot once it's lowered.
  • 17" OZ Ultraleggeras
  • JCW Aero Kit
  • Blacked out taillights & headlights from Vinyl Styles
  • Custom "MINI" roof decal from Vinyl Styles

Old 07-22-2008, 09:01 AM
MiniBAH
3rd Gear
Sweet ride!

Old 07-22-2008, 06:25 PM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It's amazing how many different shades of yellow the car can look. Mine seems to change color depending on the time of day. I've never noticed that with a red car, white, or other color.

Old 07-22-2008, 07:49 PM
Sowellman
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Minidrivr
It's amazing how many different shades of yellow the car can look. Mine seems to change color depending on the time of day. I've never noticed that with a red car, white, or other color.
I've been fascinated by that phenomena, as well. I ordered my car before the first R56s hit the U.S. The folks from Britain said they thought the color looked better in person than most photographs showed. I tend to agree.

It's a shade that looks different in the shade than in the sun and with different intensities of the sun beating down. Very interesting.

Old 07-23-2008, 10:45 AM
HornBlowR
2nd Gear
Thanks NAM!

I've been lurking here for a couple of weeks. What a great forum, it's been a wealth of information for me. I never realized that there were so many excited MINI peeps out there.

I just ordered my MY/B 2008 ride. My only compromise was to go with the 15in all seasons. I'm not in love with those wheels but this will be my everyday car and I have to deal with Chicago winters. I figure later down the road I'd look into aftermarket wheels if it bugs me too much.

-Dave

Last edited by HornBlowR; 08-31-2008 at 06:32 AM.
Old 07-23-2008, 11:05 AM
bhelton
4th Gear
Congratulations Dave! Nice color choice. I've been lurking around as well gaining as much knowledge as I can before I place my order. The other NAMers here have been a huge help (I've changed quite a few options since first logging on to here).

Be sure to post pictures when your baby arrives!

Old 07-23-2008, 11:17 AM
y-gro-up
1st Gear
Originally Posted by HornBlowR
I've been lurking here for a couple of weeks. What a great forum, it's been a wealth of information for me. I never realized that there were so many excited MINI peeps out there.

I just ordered my MY/B 2008 ride. My only compromise was to go with the 15in all seasons. I'm not in love with those wheels but this will be my everyday car and I have to deal with Chicago winters. I figure later down the road I'd look into aftermarket wheels if it bugs me too much.

-Dave

I didtched ( stored) my 17" with run flats and installed a set of 16" Rota RB in Royal Black and Michelin Pilot A/S. Now I am ready for the Chicago roads also! Where are you located in chicago? I am in the North Suburbs and the roads are horrible!

Old 07-23-2008, 11:19 AM
Greg Davis
4th Gear
Originally Posted by deanc2007

Here is my question:

What do you guys think?

Dean.
Dean, here's a thought. I have the MY/Blk combo and have been "blacking out" items, but I don't want to have too much black. You are having the same issues, only with yellow.

Would you like to trade mirror caps? That way, I gain a little yellow and lose some black....you gain some black and lose a little yellow. Plus, we end up with unique combos compared to others.

Sound like a good idea?

Old 07-23-2008, 12:02 PM
HornBlowR
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by y-gro-up
I didtched ( stored) my 17" with run flats and installed a set of 16" Rota RB in Royal Black and Michelin Pilot A/S. Now I am ready for the Chicago roads also! Where are you located in chicago? I am in the North Suburbs and the roads are horrible!
I live in the city - far NW. Yeah, the roads around here need some attention too. BTW, this has probably been addressed, but if I swap my 15's for 16's will there be an issue with tire diameter (i.e. speedometer issues)?

I put in my order today and I was told that production will start tomorrow! Six more weeks of digging deep to fill the tank of my present beast. Can't wait!

-Dave

Last edited by HornBlowR; 07-23-2008 at 12:30 PM.
Old 07-23-2008, 12:19 PM
DanQ
2nd Gear
I live in the city - far NW. Yeah, the roads around here need some attention too. BTW, this has probably been addressed, but if I swap my 15's for 16's will there be an issue with tire diameter (i.e. speedometer issues)?

-Dave
No issues with +1 wheels and speedo. get a combination that is close to the same height as the stock combo and you are good to go. Use this site when you choose tires/wheels and you will know exactly how much the speedo is off. http://www.rims-n-tires.com/rt_specs.jsp

We should get our car (wife named it "JAC", as in "justacooper") in a week or 2. I have 16" rota rb with 205/50/16 tires waiting to replace the 15" all seasons we'll use for winter in Lake Zurich (NW chicago area also.).

Old 07-23-2008, 01:51 PM
leek
2nd Gear
All of us MY in Chicagoland should get together for a pic sometime (maybe a weekend breakfast coffee, or something)...

Old 07-23-2008, 02:00 PM
y-gro-up
1st Gear

I put in my order today and I was told that production will start tomorrow! Six more weeks of digging deep to fill the tank of my present beast. Can't wait!

-Dave
As long as the OD is the same the speedometer will be fine. Check with your tire supplier or try tirerack.com The only issue I has was purchasing new tire pressure monitors to install before the tires ( lots of threads on this issue) I went from 17" to 16" and came very close to hitting the brake calipers as I have a MCS. If you stay the same size or go larger, you will have no problems. If I was you, I would stick with 15" as it is less expensive and there are alot of choices.

Old 07-23-2008, 02:03 PM
y-gro-up
1st Gear
Originally Posted by leek
All of us MY in Chicagoland should get together for a pic sometime (maybe a weekend breakfast coffee, or something)...
This would make a neat picture. We should try to set it up....How many do you think are around here? I know of one other besides me. ( and you of course )

Quick Reply: R56 The Official Mellow Yellow Owners Club